• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help Me Create My City's Mage's Quarter (my players please stay out)

Agent Oracle

First Post
An ancient animated anatomy skelton. it's different from regular skeletons in the MM in that it happens to be held together by copper wire. And it wanders about the floors of a university, trying to give an old, half forgotten lecture.

Also, i firmly reccomed you get some artifacts for your game from Warehouse 23. Because there's nothin g more fun than having a well-designed, but completely useless magical artifact easily found in the debris...

Also borrowing from Discworld... High Magic zones. A tiny area where your spellcasters (including bards, paladins, rangers, etc.) have the ability to detect magic without casting the spell Any primary caster can roll a knowledge Arcane to see taht the proper thing to do in this place is flip a coin... which will allways land on edge in the high-magic zone... (Or turn into a butterfly... or stick in the air... Or change denominations (i.e. copper to platinum etc.) Needless to say, it would be VERY dangeorus to cast any spells in a magic-saturated environment.

Last edited:

Laundreu

First Post
Agent Oracle said:
Also, i firmly reccomed you get some artifacts for your game from Warehouse 23. Because there's nothin g more fun than having a well-designed, but completely useless magical artifact easily found in the debris...

Ahhhh, Warehouse 23. Biggest problem with it is it's oriented primarily towards modern day, magic-is-a-conspiracy-theory games. Still, useful things can be found.

Warehouse 23 said:
You open one of the 997 boxes on this floor and find...

A series of carnival distortion mirrors; in various shapes. Upon each one you see several brownish spatters on the surface; analysis will reveal that it is human blood. Any attempts to use a magic spell or psi talent to reveal what they are for will only result in the user hearing a distant, high-pitched giggling.

I can use this as-is.

Warehouse 23 said:
A black 9mm pistol with an infinity symbol etched on the side. This gun never runs out of ammo. It seems to have been well used.

A light crossbow with the Ouroburos printed on the side, firing a 2d4+2 force projectile as a ranged touch attack unlimited times? Not quite as good as a level 3 caster's Magic Missile wand, but it has no ammo problem. Nifty, but not game-breaking.

Agent Oracle

First Post
Yeah, but you can get five or six items, adapt them, and they work flawlessly. My favorite one, which I included in a Feng Shui campaign was a black box, about a foot on each side and completely covered with flips, knobs and switches. Little did the party know that attemtping to make it work put a minor compultion on them... not that I needed to tell them that. they played with that thing for nearly half an hour before i got sick of it and narrated that the box did nothing, no matter what they did.

Laundreu

First Post
Point, point. We'll see what else there is.

Anything else that can qualify for 'spooky as :):):):)'? I'm thinking about some kind of Golem or similar, that follows a path and purpose totally unknown to the PCs - it could be a Deus Ex Machina for doors - opening previously sealed portals in doing its rounds, perhaps.

What? I liked PyramidHead.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads