• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Help me create Support Paladin

Georlik

First Post
I got weary of solo-oriented builds and want to create a character which would be useful to a group.
I've figured a basic framework, but I'd like an advice on how to develop this character after level 8.

Code-name: Chondathan
A noblemant from Iljak who wishes that one day his people and habitants of Chondalwood forest will live in peace.
Variant Human (Feat: Inspiring Leader)
Str: 10
Dex: 14
Con: 14
Int: 10
Wiz: 10
Cha: 16
Background: Noble (Position of Privilege)
Languages: Common, Sylvan, Giant.
Tools: Dragonchess.
Skills: Athletics, History, Insight, Persuasion, (1 free?)
Class: Paladin (Oath of the Ancients).

So my intention is to equip him with rapier and buckler, don the best medium armor, take Protection fighting style, maximize Charisma by level 8 and act as a Leader/Controller (in 4th edition terms).

So my questions are:
1) I still have 1 additional skill from Variant Human. Where shall i put it?
2) How shall I develop this build after level 8? I know that most guides are solid on dumping intelligence, maximizing strength and taking Resilience (Con), but he is more of a diplomat rather than a fighter, obviously, and i don't like my diplomats being less intelliegent than a goblin. Still I don't want to drag my team down.
3) Is there an official ruling about Find Steed (Fey) and Turn the Faithless interaction? It sems that I'll constantly scare off my destrier if I choose it to be a Fey (which is kinda fun, I guess, but thematically inappropriate).
4) Shall I consider other races? I thought of a Half-Elf, but I guess having a Feat and a Maximized charisma by level 8 is more important than darkvision and fey ancestry.
4) Any other advice, which make this character more interesting?

Last edited:

RSIxidor

Adventurer
Resilience Con is to help you keep your Concentration spells up, which you've likely got a few good ones that help your party.

Half-Elf is a strong choice for Paladins but so is Human Variant.

Also, take a good look at spells you want to take and use often. Make sure you're not too reaction heavy. If you are, Protection fighting style will not get used much. I don't think Paladins have a ton of those, though. More likely you'll use spells that buff and smites.

Georlik

First Post
Thank you for the calrification, but these does not really answer my questions.
There are no Paladin spells that use reactions (that I know of). As a support-type character I'm not sure if I would even use Smite spells.

Unfortunately I have no idea what my group will be made of, as the team is ever-shifting. But my general idea is to start adventuring day by reciting some kind of poem, which provides temporary hit points, cast bless during the battle and keep close to the squishes, so I can protect them.
I have 3 free feats to improve this style of play. Any advice on what to choose?

mellored

Legend
If you not hitting things, paladin probably isn't the best option.
Have you considered a bard instead? They make better diplomats with expertise, and inspiration dice work well as support.

Most combinations of lore bard/paladin also work well.

So my questions are:
1) I still have 1 additional skill from Variant Human. Where shall i put it?
Deception or intimidation.

2) How shall I develop this build after level 8? I know that most guides are solid on dumping intelligence, maximizing strength and taking Resilience (Con), but he is more of a diplomat rather than a fighter, obviously, and i don't like my diplomats being less intelliegent than a goblin. Still I don't want to drag my team down.
Resilience Con and warcaster, are still top choices. Healer is too. Lucky is all around good if you don't know what else to pick. Mounted combat if you plan on using find steed.

I suggest Reslience Con, Actor (seems fitting for what you want), then +1 Con + 1 Cha.

3) Is there an official ruling about Find Steed (Fey) and Turn the Faithless interaction? It sems that I'll constantly scare off my destrier if I choose it to be a Fey (which is kinda fun, I guess, but thematically inappropriate).
You could scare your mount. Though it does get a bonus to it's save.

That said, as a DM i would allow you to not target your mount.

4) Shall I consider other races? I thought of a Half-Elf, but I guess having a Feat and a Maximized charisma by level 8 is more important than darkvision and fey ancestry.
Humans start strong, but unless there's other feats you want past 20 Cha and inspiring leader, they fade a good bit. I'm a fan of halfling's lucky.

4) Any other advice, which make this character more interesting?
You can still wear heavy armor. You only take a 10' speed penalty nothing else.

And if your riding a horse, your speed doesn't much matter. Also mobility adds 10', in addition to some other stuff.

Last edited:

Kithas

First Post
I LOVE halflings, all there stuff is just sooo good, and for your build they give you +2 dex and +1 con(if you do stout) so you can put more points into a higher cha, if you're doing point-buy. If you aren't those are some rough rolls my friend.
Anyways Mello makes a good point and a short dip into bard could get you some very interesting things, including some nice cantrips to round out your range and your melee, booming blade etc.
Because you are doing more support, I assume for the auras, which oath are you planning? Personally Ancients is my favorite for the spell resistance aura and the root power/ensnaring strike. Having some reliable cc is invaluable.
For feats, you could use a whip and do sentinel! I know it sounds silly but it's pretty good protection.

Remove ads