• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help me decide on my new campaign!

mkb152

Explorer
Well, here's the thing. I have a new game starting next week. I have not completely decided what to run yet. Now, the problem is a lot of us are busy, so it won't be on a weekly basis. I'm hoping for twice a month, but it will be somewhat irregular. So I need something that will be wasy to have an adventure a session, or at least be easy to break into well defined segments. Here is where I am leaning:

Ptolus - Because it rocks, and I need to justify its purchase. Also, I think it would be easy to run the adventures in the book + NOD even if it's somewhat irregular. Downside (upside?) is that my players know nothing about it.

Savage Tide AP - Pretty cool, and probably the easiest AP to run in an irregular fashion. But I'm not sold on this AP as much as the others.

AOW AP- The coolest AP, plus it's deadly and looks fun. I'm just not sure we'd ever finish this.

SC AP - Awesome set of adventures, but some of the dungeons are a bit big to run in segments.

Planescape (ie the "other city by the spire") Fun, and my players are familiar, but it is tough to run well. I would probably start at ECL 7 if I do this one.

Generic GH - My favorite setting, but I'm not sure how much time I will have to be creative to do Greyhawk right.

Generic FR- I've probably done this too many times.

Mignight - Awesome yet depressing.

Ravenloft - I don't think I could emotionally let Strahd lose. ;)

Spelljammer - Just so my players can say, "WTF, umm no..."

Dark Sun - Coolest setting I never ran.

So anyways, tell me what you think!

mkb152

Explorer
Well I'm pretty cool with anything.

The players are a mix. Most are up for anything. If they do anything poorly, it's conserve resources. They used to be the kings of the 15 minute "D&D" day (eg, clear a few rooms, rest, rinse, and repeat) until I started making that strategy backfire.

I'm thinking urban might be good for their play style, so I'm leaning Ptolus or Planescape.

MojoGM

First Post
I'm starting a Ptolus game soon as well (for the same reasons, it's cool as hell and I need to justify the purchase :) )

Though lately I've become interested in Eberron, so now I'm torn.

But I'd go with Ptolus!

Festivus

First Post
Of those you list, I am familiar with a few.

Shackled City - Buy the hardcover if you don't have the magazines already. It's worth it. I bought it but decided not to run it right off mainly because AoW looked more interesting to my group and because it looked like Paizo had lessons learned from this book that carried forward into AoW.

Age of Worms - this is a lot of fun, but deadly. The problem you will find with these adventure paths is that each module has a different style to it because of different authors. We are presently in Hall of Harsh Reflections (4 of 12) and finding this one dragged a bit too long underground... the next one looks like lots more roleplay and more of what my group likes best.

Savage Tide - my suggestion is to wait until the entire series is published before running it. I have found that being able to read the entire AP end to end helps a ton with figuring out ramifications of players actions.

Ptolus - huge, too huge unless you are singularly focussed on running something in it. I think more of Ptolus as a setting than an adventure path, though they do have a sample campaign built right into it.

Hopefully Santa bought me Ravenloft.

smootrk

First Post
If I went out and bought Ptolus, the I would probably do that.

Also, I say, use what you have the most resources or dollar investment in. You can always sprinkle other stuff into your setting... for instance, if you like your Eberron stuff, add Warforged or Shifters.

Cam Banks

Adventurer
Without any bias whatsoever, may I recommend the three volume epic Dragonlance campaign set in the Age of Mortals that begins with Key of Destiny, continues with Spectre of Sorrows, and ends with Price of Courage. Levels 1st thru 20. All you need is the Dragonlance Campaign Setting, although any of the other Sovereign Press sourcebooks will also help.

Cheers,
Cam

I myself am running a campaign under just the sort of parameters you're talking about--notably meeting only once every month to six weeks. I too wanted something that was interesting and vibrant but capable of being run in fairly discrete units. We've run three sessions of Ptolus, and it's worked to a tee. So, I'd third the recommendation of that. The adventures in the book plus NoD are indeed very modular but they also tie together nicely.

airwalkrr

Adventurer
mkb152 said:
Help me decide on my new campaign!

Greyhawk!

Honestly, running AoW in Greyhawk is a great idea as all of the adventures are already out and it is a spectacular campaign with a dazzling finish.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads