• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help me decide when to set my Greek campaign!

Which makes a better setting?

• Ancient Greece (see description below)

Votes: 40 54.8%
  • Classical Greece (see description below)

Votes: 33 45.2%

• Poll closed .

~Johnny~

First Post
I'm a big fan of Olympian mythology and Greek history, and I have run a few one-shot adventures set in ancient and classical Greece. I have a bunch of notes that I'd like to publish as a free "mini-campaign setting" PDF, but I'm wondering what time period folks would find most interesting: ancient or classical?

Both campaigns would use standard D&D rules, with a few class and equipment options removed to preserve the setting's flavor. Neither campaign would have non-human races. In both campaigns, the extraordinary quality that sets characters with PC classes apart from characters with NPC classes is a connection to the gods. The characters are mortal, but are related to or favored by one of the primary Olympian gods or goddesses. In either setting, players will be exploring war-torn cities or crumbling temples, fighting hydras and gorgons, and generally facing mythic challenges. The reappearance of mythic monsters is part of a plot by the Titans to take back their divine power from the Olympian gods.

Ancient Greece: This setting would take place during the Archaic period, around 750 B.C. The Trojan War has been fought and, but the Persian Wars are centuries off. The famous Greek city-states are just achieving prominencem, and most are still monarchies. This setting is a bit more like "classic" D&D, in that the world is unexplored wilderness punctuated by isolated civilization. There is significantly less exposure to other cultures, and belief in the gods is still strong. This setting gives players the chance to continue the traditions established by the heroes of myth.

Classical Greece: This setting would take place immediately after the Persian Wars, during the founding of the Delian League, around 475 B.C. Many of the Greek city-states are democracies, Pericles is the guiding hand of Athens, and culture is thriving. Greece has more contact with Northern Africa and the Near East. Persians and barbarians are still a threat, and Spartan/Athenian tension is slowly building to the Pelopponessian War. There are significantly more historical resources available for the time period, which could create a more fleshed-out setting. Belief in the gods is not strong and a more scientific/philosophical paradigm is favored by intellectuals. Characters in this setting have the chance to be a second generation of mythic heroes, participating in a divine war that represents the last big hurrah of the Olympian gods.

I've used both, and both are fun. The first works well for simple monster-bashing, while the second adds more possibilities for conflict with other humans. I've got a bit more material for classical Greece, simply because there's more history available to convert into game terms. But fantastic adventures fit a bit more naturally into ancient Greece. I definitely want to pick one or the other. Your thoughts?

Last edited:

Ao the Overkitty

First Post
Damn. They both sound like lots of fun. I've had similar ideas, but my group wouldn't bite. I've got notes for an Ancient Greece campaign as well as one in a myth-infused Earth set one hundred or so years after the campaigns of Alexander the Great.

I would probably vote for the Classical Greece. With the influx of mythical creatures, it would certainly make the war more interesting.

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
As I was opening the thread, I was thinking "Ancient" but after reading the set-up for the "Classical" campaign, I think the Classical campaign would work better in practice as a long term game setting. The idea of the Titans using mythical monsters to re-establish themselves is great. The variety of nations and availability of references would make it very easy to create the variety that a long-term game needs.

RichGreen

Adventurer
Hi,

I voted for Classical. There's more opportunity for interesting interaction with some famous historical figures, and a lot more source material on the period.

Cheers

Richard

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Eh, I'd liberate it from History all together, myself....who says that Athens getting it's butt kicked by Sparta has to really occur centuries after the Trojan War? ;) IMHO, it's more important to get the 'feel,'right, and if you compose an entire sea, it's probably not too hard to have philosophers pondering logos while Homer is writing mythos, really.

I'd put ém together. Makes interesting parties: "Okay, so your Athenian philospher (cleric) and your Spartan warrior (fighter) and your aasimar child of Zeus (sorcerer) and your island-kind diplomat (rogue) are sailing out to the continent of Atlantis to find the rare drug they have, and you pass by the island of Circe when a storm hits...roll your profession (sailor) checks, and hope she's not in the mood for Bacon, boys..."

But that's just how I've done it in the past. :)

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Kamikaze Midget said:
Eh, I'd liberate it from History all together, myself....who says that Athens getting it's butt kicked by Sparta has to really occur centuries after the Trojan War? ;) IMHO, it's more important to get the 'feel,'right, and if you compose an entire sea, it's probably not too hard to have philosophers pondering logos while Homer is writing mythos, really.

I'd put ém together. Makes interesting parties: "Okay, so your Athenian philospher (cleric) and your Spartan warrior (fighter) and your aasimar child of Zeus (sorcerer) and your island-kind diplomat (rogue) are sailing out to the continent of Atlantis to find the rare drug they have, and you pass by the island of Circe when a storm hits...roll your profession (sailor) checks, and hope she's not in the mood for Bacon, boys..."

But that's just how I've done it in the past. :)

Yep I agree stuff history - my interest/knowledge of Greek History has come entirely from its mythology so as long as the myth is good and story fun do it all:p

Guillaume

Julie and I miss her
I voted for Classical Greece. I find both settings interesting. However, I agree with one of the posters above that the fact that you have more details available and more variety in the Classical setting probably makes it more viable in the long run. It is easier to find plot hooks and threads in such a setting.

It all depends how you want to stick to the «realism» of things. If you are flexible with the aspects of the gods and magic in relation to the true history, it will be a fantastic setting. If however, you are striving to stick to the history of our world, I think then you are better off with the Ancient setting. Less knowledge = less conflict with that knowledge.

Remember to consider your players desires also. Political intrigue : Classical is better. Monster Hack-n-slash : Ancient is better. Though neither are exclusive...

I'm sitting on the fence, aren't I ? :D

Classical interests ME more.

Wombat

First Post
I've always looked upon two historical eras as nearly perfect for fantasy gaming -- the early viking era and pre-Classical Greece. :)

In both cases there are weak governments, the ability to just jump in a boat and look for adventure, and the options open to said people -- raid, trade, explore, or colonize at the drop of a hat.

Who could ask for more?

Classical Greece has a fair amount to recommend it, but I would prefer an Ancient setting; of course, either would be fun :)

Nifft

Penguin Herder
I voted "Classical", but really, either would be very cool. I think that you'd have to re-work the history and people involved, to take magic and monsters into consideration.

E.g.: Socrates is still around. That whole poison thing was a cover-up for his ascent to lichdom. Keeping his mentor's secret has driven Plato mad. (Plato is now an Alienist who summons Pseudonatural Modrons.)

Er... or something less campy.

What's the power level? Is there just one kraken? Are there two dozen pegasi in the whole world? Or does Athens boast a gryphon-mounted cavalry which strikes back against the Vandal centaurs of the steppes?

-- N

gweinel

Explorer
re

Both choices are very good, but I would say classical Greece because of the greater political level of the campaigning. To have a limited influx of mythical monsters would be good too.

For the atmosphere of the game in classical era I would propose Winds of War by Stephen Pressfield.
But if you go for the archaich era I would propose the Last of Amazones by the same author. Although it is set in the before the Trojan war the feeling of the small Athens (monarchy) is great.

Konstantinos

Remove ads