• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help me design a one-shot horror game!

Halivar

First Post
I thought of a beer-n'-pretzels game, heavy on role play, and hopefully light on rules and dice. I'd like advice on creating mechanics to handle this.

The premise: Sort of like John Carpenter's "The Thing", set in some remote, isolated location (island, arctic, space station, etc.) where a party encounters a xenomorphic virus capable of consuming and taking the form of any creature it comes in contact with (or a pod-people plant, or mind-controlling parasite, or mitotic doppelgangers, etc.).

The conflict: Fear and mass paranoia set in as party members suspect each other of being "one of them". However, each party member has an essential, unique talent. The infestation/invasion takes place against the backdrop of some other emergency that causes party members to be away from each other for short periods of time. An ideal session would force people to pair up away from the group (thus increasing both viral spread and mutual paranoia).

The resolution: The game ends when the party members successfully return home, whittle each other down to one remaining person (or get themselves killed!), or agree that they have killed all of "them" and they no longer need to worry about each other. The party wins if none of "them" successfully get to civilization (or shore, earth, etc.). "They" win if they can successfully get themselves or the virus (or parasite, doppelganger clone, etc.) to civilization and spread the infection/infestation.

One mechanic that will be essential is that if you are not with the group at large, your actions are written down and handed to the GM. Every once in a while, the GM will call for actions, upon which isolated party members write down their next action and hand it in. People that are paired up away from the group are encouraged to leave the table and play out their actions in another room. The idea is to force limited first-person play on each individual player, so that players must independently choose whether or not to take other party-members at their word.

I was thinking of having each party member be a professional of some sort: a computer programmer, a technician, a biologist, a janitor, a medical doctor, etc. Each one provides an essential role on the station (or island, or spaceship, or colony, etc.).

I'm looking for simple skill check, combat, and conflict resolution rules that don't require "character creation" and allow for a very quick pickup game. Anyone have any thoughts?

PS: I hope this is the right forum?

Halivar

First Post
Err.. maybe. Except I need help on mechanics, plot, actually running the thing, etc. So it could be Plots & Places, or it could be House Rules. I didn't know, so I picked General.

Vigwyn the Unruly

First Post
In all seriousness, I recommend using the Dread rules for this. They are fantastic for horror. The game is super simple and has the single best game mechanic I have ever seen. You can download the quickstart rules for free, which should be fine for a oneshot. You will know how to play in about 15 minutes, and your players will pick it up in about five.

I ran a dread game for my teenage sons and they loved it! The mechanic really serves to build a high amount of tension.

Edit: Crap, someone beat me to it. In all seriousness, you owe it to yourself to give it a shot.

Erywin

First Post
Definitely Dread!! Been reading up alot of it since I saw the post by PKitty, I really want to run/play a one-shot now :D

Cheers,
E

DrNilesCrane

First Post
Halivar, I'm curious to see what you come up with: I've been thinking of running a one-shot horror adventure myself but have had a hard time coming up with an idea that has felt like "it" so far.

As for the plot, what if the PCs all start the adventure on a plane almost to the arctic base (or mystery island, whatever). Give them 10 or so minutes to talk in character (maybe getting a briefing) then the plane blows up (missile defense of the base perhaps, set to ward off the rescuers so they don't get infected): the PCs survive by parachuting out of the plane, landing near the base but landing separately (which is when the initial infection could take place if you wanted to have one of the PCs do your dirty work - leave it up to him/her to kick off the initial infection). The PCs promptly regroup and reach the base only to find it destroyed...they have to piece together what happened (dum dum duuuummm!) while there's a traitor in their midst...and perhaps more than one if he/she is successful!

Just a random thought...hope it helps!

Lockridge

First Post
I agree with the suggestion to use Dread. What a simple and effective system for generating tension.

That aside, 12 to Midnight created a survival adventure called Fire in the Hole about a group of military people who are sent to find out what happened to a military base that hasn't been heard from. Turned out that all the soldiers turned into zombies. Its a zombie adventure which may not be what you're looking for but there is an infection threat.
They publish it as a one-shot and its available for either d20 modern or Savage Worlds. I prefer Savage Worlds rules for horror just because it doesn't slow the pace and you can fit in lots of fights or lots of plot in one session of gaming. Its a whole other rule set though so your group may not be interested.

Check out the free Dread download though.
Don.

Shane_Leahy

First Post
If this is a beer and pretzel game which to me indicates a lot of socializing why not do it this way. Have the game table in one room and have something going on in another room. Movie playing, board game, whatever. Everyone starts in the game room but if people split up, those not actively involved in the plot go to the other room. Honor system that they are not talking about what is happening. Basically if you are active in the game you are in teh game room, otherwise you are somewhere else.

Remove ads