Help me design a Wayfarer prestige class (now in its third iteration)

StGabe

First Post
I think it would have to something like instantaneous flight. I.e. it will carry you anywhere in range, instantly, but won't take you through any intervening objects whatsoever. You can't go through jail cell bars or a window but you can go up a cliff or across a chasm. You probably can't break a grapple with it but you can make a single attack and then teleport atop a nearby wall for example.

That's probably manageable for a 1st level character to have. It is basically a powerful, but single-use, version of Jump. Flavorwise it seems to make sense. The idea would be that this is a very crude version of teleportation that has limitations with respect to how many laws of physics it can break.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Teleportation lights you on fire? Your first level benefits are:
1/ Fire Resistance 5
2/ Detect Teleportation (constant)
3/ Teleport 10 ft. as a swift action (costs one 'port point, or PP, because I *heart* Psionics)

You gain more Fire Resistance as you level up. 5 points is enough to make 10 ft. jumps mostly safe, right? That's only 1d6 damage?

Cheers, -- N

Thing is, the fiery teleportation bit is a new development. This group has not learned to cope with it yet.

I like St Gabe's idea for the limited TP. PrimScrew's idea is a bit too complicated for what I want.

Detect teleportation is a psionic power? Good, I can use it then, since it's in the SRD. I don't like reinventing the wheel /too/ much.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll post the revision soon.

Owldragon

First Post
I like the new abilities. This version definitely has more flavor to it; I like it.

I also like the new version of the spell. My only nitpick is you changed the casting time but forgot to change the duration. Otherwise, it looks good to me.

You see, this is why my wallet hates you. You keep coming up with stuff like this, and I have no choice but to do things like buy a full subscription to the Burning Sky saga. ;)

Thanks for catching the error.

And for having a weak will. If it makes you feel any better, you're helping the cause of love. I need to save up enough money for airfare to Brazil. ;)

Mr. Beef

First Post
It looks good to me, but I'm not big on designing Prestige Classes. I have a tendency to make ones that have already been made or make them too weak or too powerful.

Is there a reason that it's only eight levels instead of the standard five or ten levels? That's the first thing I picked up on.

I have yet to get the War of the Buring Sky but this element of it sounds neat.

Keep it coming.

Mr. Beef

maggot

First Post
I kinda like it, but I wish you could lose less spellcasting levels. Losing 5 spells-known levels is awfully harsh. You are 2-3 spell levels behind, but gain the ability to one 4th level spell many times per day. Would this class be broken if you lost only 2 spells-known levels, and thus were only 1 spell level behind?

Remove ads