• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help me design this potion!

mkill

Adventurer
One thing here - the logic doesn't seem consistent here. Obviously you can say that "it's just magic" and wave it away, but if drinking the fire potion makes you immune (but spitting/pouring makes fire), then my assumption would be that, similarly, drinking the 'poison potion' should make you immune, too.
That's what D&D needs - a consumer complaints department for artifacts.

"Mordenkainen's Magnificient Mansion, this is Imp 127 speaking. How can I help you?"
- "That wishing flask of yours, it poisoned me!"
- "I apologize, Sir. May I know what you wrote on the flask?"
- "Erm, Poison."
- "And I presume you drank it?"
- "Yes."
- "Thank you for calling. Have a nice day Sir."

Terraism

Explorer
"Mordenkainen's Magnificient Mansion, this is Imp 127 speaking. How can I help you?"
- "That wishing flask of yours, it poisoned me!"
- "I apologize, Sir. May I know what you wrote on the flask?"
- "Erm, Poison."
- "And I presume you drank it?"
- "Yes."
- "Thank you for calling. Have a nice day Sir."

It's an amusing visual. :D I suppose the distinction is that my group is a huge fan - as am I - of Sanderson's First Law. Handwaves of "its magic" aren't the most useful things ever for my group. Obviously your mileage may vary.

mkill

Adventurer
It's an amusing visual. :D I suppose the distinction is that my group is a huge fan - as am I - of Sanderson's First Law. Handwaves of "its magic" aren't the most useful things ever for my group. Obviously your mileage may vary.

If it helps, here is a table. When the user scribbles a word (< >) on the flask, roll.

Potion of ...

d20
1 Erase Memory of < >
2 < > Immunity
3 < > Resistance
4 Permanent < > Resistance
5 < > Slaying
6 < > Taste
7 < > Illusion
8 Teleport to < > / Shift to plane of < >
9 Speak with < > / Contact < >
10 Summon < >
11 Mass Summon < >
12 < > Lore
13 < > Breathing
14 Minor < > Power
15 Ultimate < > Power
16 < > Aspect
17 < > Form
18 Slow < > Transformation
19 Immediate < > Transformation
20 Ascension to < >

(Reroll if the result does not make sense. Of course, fiendish DMs can always just pretend to roll.)

Soraios

First Post
Haven't read the whole thread, so I apologize in advance if I'm repeating someone else's point. This potion reminds me a lot of Marvelous Pigments, illusions, wishes, and other DM-interpretive items. On the one hand, you are encouraging PC creativity with this item, which is a good thing. On the other hand, once you make a ruling on a particular potion's effect, you are going to be stuck with it. The danger here is the law of unintended consequences, and its chief adherent, the game-breaking player that looks for opportunities to achieve a rule-based "I win" result, usually by combining two disparate spells/effects in creative ways.

Remember, wishes and pigments are rare for a reason. I think there is a lot of power in that simple potion. I would only whip it out in a higher-level game.

mkill

Adventurer
Tried the item out today!

They found it as described by Loonook. They got the meaning immediately, but they were too scared to try it out themselves. So they wrote "generosity" and fed the potion to their employer (who promptly doubled pay). They also gave him a copy of the thing and kept the real one. Bastards (predictable fools)

Loonook

First Post
Fantastic to hear! The players should of course be encouraged to use the item... Heck, the gold oozes could save them at some point :D.

Slainte,

-Loonook.

Remove ads