• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help me develop my race's descriptive text

Beholder Bob

First Post
Ok - here is a race from my game. I'm looking for response to the description, mostly, as I know the reaction the odd stat modifiers will have on folks. You may disagree with them, but the method of stat generation in my game eliminates the chance to abuse them (you choose race, then roll - with no redistribution of stats.

Phooka

Origin: The Phooka are native to the Faerie, the sidereal plane of Astoria. The Phooka are considered lower class by their cousins, typically consigned to a peasant class and are considered both clumsy and stupid by their smaller brethren. Some Phooka have risen to high position in Faerie, but advancement is difficult and they have far fewer representatives in the Unseelie Court then their population would suggest. The Phooka responded to their limited positions and power by using their shape changing abilities to instigate themselves into ‘proper society’, pretending to be different members of the courts, causing havoc and giving themselves advantages where they could. Pushing things too far, some Phooka mischief resulted in war, duels being fought in the court, and finally, one of the royal families defamed. As punishment, they had part of their shape changing abilities taken away. They can now only take the form of animals, and are forbidden from completely covering their own identity. Having further lost status, and having one of the royal families persecute them; have led to some Phooka migrating to Astoria. While not trusted by the mortals, these emigrants feel free from the worst of the stigma they felt in Faerie.

Personality: Energetic, perhaps even a bit wild, they leap, jump, dance, and sing at whim, and while capable of being serious and grim, it is surely not their standard behavior. Almost irrepressible, the Phooka are optimistic, though cautious around nobility. Phooka share some of the typical traits of the Fey; a promise is not broken – though perhaps lightly interpreted, an enjoyment of sweets and alcohol, and an affinity with plants. Beyond that, they show the same range of behavior as most humanoids, though with perhaps a bit of rose colored glasses leaning.

Physical Description: The Phooka are native to the Faerie, the sidereal plane of Astoria. Oversized relative to most of their kin, they average 5’ tall, for both men and women. They have angular features, light coffee colored skin, and lustrous green hair that. Their eyes are twice the size of a human, and usually a brilliant blue, green, or occasional gold color. They have ears like an ass, have 3” black horns that jut from their foreheads, and an undersized pair of wings (3’ long each) similar but tougher then a butterfly’s wings. These wings provide some lift while jumping, but do not allow flight unless the Phooka is reduced in size to at least small size. A 2-3’ long tail covered in fine down swishes behind them, having the same range of motion as a cat’s.

Relations: The Phooka have no inherent racial prejudice, except perhaps to consider non-Fey creatures unlucky to be non-Fey. More important to the typical Phooka, is a creatures social status, them feeling compassion and some kinship with peasants and serfs, while most feel nobility to be inherently cold hearted and false. That is not to say they hate royalty, but rather have a ‘prove your better then I think’ attitude, a chip on their shoulder. The Phooka faithfully serve their royalty – but with a mixture of Russian and English peasantry viewpoint.

Alignment: While not limited to any alignment, many Phooka are free spirits who chafe at strict laws, interpret rules advantageously, and follow a ‘if none is hurt, and none saw, why no law was broken’ philosophy, a definite tendency towards chaos. As to good, evil, and neutrality, the Phooka have no more leaning then most folks. The majority are good or neutral, with a few bad apples, just like any human community.
Lands: The Phooka generally have their own lands, though they often work them. Farmers, laborers, grooms, and other physical skills and trades place the Phooka most often on the plains, though they work at docks, as craftsmen in cities, and some travel with caravans. While Phooka can be met in any environment, they tend to settle in areas near forested regions, avoid cold locations when possible, and dislike arid regions as it dries their wings.
Religion: Most every Phooka pays homage to the Unseelie Court, though many living on the material plane also subscribe to one of the religions of Astoria – though not as stoutly devout.

Names: All Fey receive Faerie names, not to be used in conversation except in oath swearing, before the Unseelie Court, and to spouses. When this name is evoked by another using magic, it makes the spell more difficult for the Faerie to resist (+2 DC, +2 Vs SR), so it is considered best by the Faerie not to share it with others, let alone mortals. Faeries are given or choose common names, usually derived by their trade, location, or personality. Brown Jack, Gog of Snake River, Roan Cutts, Johnny Bog, etc.

Languages: Automatic: Faerie

Adventurers: Phooka adventurers are about as common as humans, though they are all more likely to get involved in mischief at some point. Non-adventuring Phooka generally admire those that do, though the older, more responsible Phooka will rebuke the younger for not ‘getting their chores done’.

Racial Modifiers
Size: Medium
Type: Fey & Humanoid (subject to an affect that will target both or either)
Move: 30’
Racial Skills: Language, Disguise (these are always treated as class skills)
Senses: Per human
Favored Class: Bard
Statistics: -1 INT, -1 CON, +1 DEX
Natural Attack: Head Butt d3 (Piercing)
(Su) SR 4+1/HD
(Sa) Cast Reduce Self 1/day at caster level = character’s total level
(Ex) +2 Jump while medium sized or smaller
(Ex) 10’ Flight (Clumsy) while smaller then medium size
(Ex) +2 Balance
(Ex) Wings always the same size – but only allow flight if less then medium size.
(Su) Undeniable Heritage: No matter the method of magical or supernatural disguise, the horns, wings, and tail are always part of the shape or disguise (even illusions) of any humanoid shaped form taken. Mundane disguise can cover these, however.
(Su) Faerie Name - a spell caster who knows your true name casts spells at you with +2 spell save DC and +2 bonus to overcome your spell resistance.
(Ex) Gain access to Phooka Feats, starting at 3rd level.

Phooka Feats
Shapechanger: Req. – Phooka, 5th level or higher
Wild Shape 1/day as a 5th level druid. Every additional time the feat is taken, it allows an additional use each day and as a druid of 1 level higher. Phooka with the Wild-Shape ability due to class track this ability separately from the class ability.

Pixie Blood: Req. - Phooka, 3rd level or higher
Reduce 1/day extra. Feat may be taken once per 3 levels.

B:]B

Last edited:

Arkhandus

First Post
Well, for starters, the name could have crude connotations - for some reason, the first thing that sprang to mind when I saw the name was "okay, that looks like it would sound too close to the F-word if spoken," because I always test the sound of a race/monster name before using it, to make sure I don't name something that would sound stupid or gross in actual speech during play. So ya might want to fix that in case anyone else's mind jumps to the same realization during play, ruining seriousness and suspension of disbelief.

Beholder Bob

First Post
Beholder Bob said:
Ok - here is a race from my game. I'm looking for response to the description, mostly, as I know the reaction the odd stat modifiers will have on folks. You may disagree with them, but the method of stat generation in my game eliminates the chance to abuse them (you choose race, then roll - with no redistribution of stats.B:]B

Yes, I've heard that. Thus the mention of them in my post. Other then the odd stat modifier issue, what do you think.

Horizon

First Post
Beholder Bob said:
The name is of an Irish faerie. Then again.... my players have dirty minds....

I think I've seen Phooka before, but probably for the same reason, they were named Pookah or some such thing. I didn't have time to read your flavor text, maybe tomorrow.

GreatLemur

Explorer
No news is good news, Bob. Honestly, I've been looking through the description for some problem to comment on, and I'm just not finding anything.

I guess I am kind of curious as to how their home plane is sidereal. Is it full of stars? Located in the stars? What?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads