Help me find a way to make rogue useful in BBEG fight

Sammael

Adventurer
Well, the storm is there for the dramatic effect more than anything... I can make it so it imposes a penalty on ranged attacks rather than stopping them completely. But the BBEG cannot be an aberration - it really is a living spell, and has no anatomy to speak of.

Solirion

First Post
You could also introduce a (possibly custom) magic item to allow the rogue to sneak attack the ooze. Depending on how much time you want to spend on this you could even tie in the item with the BBEGs backstory and make a sidequest out of it.

Maybe set up the encounter location so that the minions can't be easily reached without using climb and balance checks. The rogue should be better than the rest at that, and that would hopefully prevent the rest of the party from swarming the minions. In essence the rest of the party would have to keep the BBEG occupied while the rogue did his thing, making him the center of the action instead of the wallflower.

Enkhidu

Explorer
Sammael said:
Well, the storm is there for the dramatic effect more than anything... I can make it so it imposes a penalty on ranged attacks rather than stopping them completely. But the BBEG cannot be an aberration - it really is a living spell, and has no anatomy to speak of.

Place an "anti-magic" weapon in the lead up to the climax. Make it adamantine and something only the rogue is likely to use. Then say that it's only "magical" property is the ability to cut through dweomers - allowing the rogue to treat the living spell as if it were a physical being subject to critical hits.

Where is the fight going to take place? Do you have a dynamic environment? If you're in a canyon or forest or something, maybe the rogue could trigger rockslides or drop trees on it.

Sammael

Adventurer
The fight is supposed to take place within the citadel of Netherese Archwizard Karsus, at the time of his casting of Karsus' Avatar spell. The citadel can be of any size and appearance I want, but it's not an outdoorsy location.

Remove ads