• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help me identify this sword.

johnnype

First Post
I read about it in the Rage of Dragons trilogy. It's a short sword that acts as a long sword but is considered light and damages like a long sword. I think it's called longfang or something like that. Does this weapon appear in any rulebook? If so which one?

Thanks.

diaglo

Adventurer
sounds like a converted one from 1edADnD that appeared in S4 iirc.

i believe in Magic of Faerun and then in the revised edition in PGtF they have the template for this.

xmanii

Explorer
diaglo said:
i was thinking of the Longtooth... not the sun blade.

Going by memory here, but it was a regular dagger to most, but in the hands of a gnome, it was as light as a dagger, but acted as a short sword, ie. damage, weight, encumberance (sp), etc. Was also +2 in enchantment.

diaglo

Adventurer
xmanii said:
Going by memory here, but it was a regular dagger to most, but in the hands of a gnome, it was as light as a dagger, but acted as a short sword, ie. damage, weight, encumberance (sp), etc.

yup. that was the original one.

i think they made it available to other weapons though. so a small shortsword longtooth acted like a small longsword for damage in the revised edition. in the 2000ed a small character could use a shortsword longtooth one handed for damage as a longsword.

diaglo

Adventurer
Vraille Darkfang said:
Wasn't there something called a "Hornblade" Magic Item that worked like that?

It's been awhile and my 2nd Encyclopedia Magica is still in storage.

that might be the name of it.

i have a tendency to get things mixed up. ;)

johnnype

First Post
Vraille Darkfang said:
Wasn't there something called a "Hornblade" Magic Item that worked like that?
That's it!! I spent part of last night looking through Magic of Faerun as well as the Players Guide to Faerun and couldn't find it. I think it might appear in the FRCS but I didn't have time to check.

To be honest I think it a bit strange that this ability has not been added to the list of Magic Weapon Special Abilities (like keen or flaming). It seems like such a no-brainer. I noticed that Arms and Armor 3.5 (from Bastion Press) has a special ability called weightless that effectively allos the weapon to be used as if the weilder has +2 strength. Not exactly the same thing but close. Allowing a weapon to be used as one weight category larger is perhaps too big an advantage. Imagine all the two-weapon fighters who would go for a hornblade for their off-hand. I admit that was my first thought and the reason why I'm asking.

Anyway, I'll check my FRCS when I get home tonight unless someone else has it handy and can tell us now??

Remove ads