• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Help me make a Moon

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
My friends and I have finished a year and a half long campaign. In a nutshell, the world ended, we became gods as level 25 characters, and we get to shape the new world.

I am trying to build a Moon from scratch, using in-game mechanics, mostly with spells available to me. I'm an Oracle/Druid with access to Miracle, so any spell from any list up to 7th level is free game, I can select 2 Wizard spells per day up to 8th level due to the Dreamed Secrets feat, and any Cleric spell up to 9th level is available to me. I have literally centuries to accomplish this, so time and expense is not an issue.

And so, I am trying to create a giant ball in the sky. I imagine it to be mostly a mass of massive plant vines, a living sphere of plant life. The core will be Walls of Stone, the topmost layer Transmuted Rocks to Mud for the plant to latch onto and gain nutrients from, crafted Decanters of Endless Water will keep the plant life alive. The Climbing Beanstalk spell, made massive by spamming Plant Growth, is the foundation for the plant surface.

My largest problem is, getting the entire mass to remain in the sky. I can either make most of it on the ground and then get it up there, or start with a small core and build upon it, but I need a way to keep it flying. Either I need to use physics to get it to start moving in the proper orbit and need some method of launching it properly, or I need some permanent Fly spell on the mass. I can't find any spells that grant permanent flight to an object, and any flying wondrous items have weight limits.

Can anyone help me brainstorm using Pathfinder rules, how to accomplish what I'm trying to do? The composition of the moon can be adjusted (it doesn't have to be plants), but I need to get the large mass to get there and stay there, circling the planet.

Nagol

Unimportant
How massive a moon are you looking for?

A single decanter of water on geyser is adding over 50 tonnes of material a day or about 21,000 tonnes per year.

At that rate, it'll take about 3 x 10**15 decanter-years to create a mass the same as our moon -- it'd be considerably bigger in diameter since it would have about a third the density.

Something the mass of Phobos would take less than 500,000,000 decanter-years.

There is a baseline. Let me think how the mass input can be accelerated.

Nagol

Unimportant
A wizard or cleric has better options with the 9th level Create Demiplane, Greater (morphic, portal) to move huge amounts of earth daily. A well of many worlds could be used as a poor man's version of the same trick if you can find a good donor plane.

A Move Earth can shift over 150,000 cubic metres of earth through the portal adding about a million tonnes of material every day.

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
Phobos is my model. It's the closest to it's parent planet at 5760 miles above the surface, and 17x12 miles across. I'd gladly have something like this.

I don't need continual thrust, just need to get the mass moving at the right speed to begin with and let orbit take over. I need to know how to get that started.

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
Perhaps Repel Wood could get a massive plant ball moving? There is a size limit, but only for objects fixed in place. 40' per round pushing against the plant mass would help it move a little, but not to the speeds I need.

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
Are there any Wind related spells that push things really, really hard? Control Winds at Tornado level, Blast, is 175+mph. Control Weather says it can create a tornado at a much larger size.

Last edited:

Nagol

Unimportant
I'd probably look at gravity elementals setting a small platform in motion initially. Material provided to said platform with the decanter, well, or other conjuration effect probably comes in with 0 relative velocity -- sort of like teleporting to the deck of a ship -- meaning the whole ball keeps going in orbit without further energy input.

Remove ads