• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help me make names for my next campaign!

Firebeetle

Explorer
I'll be honest. I suck at names (except for civilian names for superheroes, there I rock. I.E. Sonic-based superheroine? Allegra Anderson. Laser-blasting superhero? Ray Bender.)

I want some help with some names for a campaign I'm working on ("Dark Trinity"). I need names for:

An ancient city-state of yuan-ti
The name of the dark, hideous god they worshipped.
The island that resides above the city ruins.
The suppousedly dormant volcano on that island
The Aztec-like human civilization that once occupied that island.
The primitive half-orc tribe that replaced the humans.
The small settlement that contains a prison that is now on that island.
The name of the aboleth, kraken, and ancient blue dragon that have formed a new cult around the yuan-ti's ancient god.

Any suggestions would be welcome. I'm really stuck here.

Last edited:

Dirigible

Explorer
A bit sparse on the info, but here's my try.

An ancient city-state of yuan-ti : Khleth Arrat
The name of the dark, hideous god they worshipped : Ashhashnogu
The island that resides above the city ruins : Telikotan
The suppousedly dormant volcano on that island : Old Stone's Forge
The Aztec-like human civilization that once occupied that island. Aucoratal
The primitive half-orc tribe that replaced the humans. Born of Atrocity Tribe
The small settlement that contains a prison that is now on that island.Port Narithal, Fort Irandur prison
The name of the aboleth, kraken, and ancient blue dragon that have formed a new cult around the yuan-ti's ancient god : the Lurker in the Aphotic, Ibthriluth of the Thousand Arms and Borricun Thunderscour

tarchon

First Post
An ancient city-state of yuan-ti - Yuan-Sou (Mandarin "deep lair" - proverbially "den of iniquity") 渊薮
The name of the dark, hideous god they worshipped. Xiadi 下帝

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
Here's my Try:

An ancient city-state of yuan-ti
Slasseth-Yulssesth

The name of the dark, hideous god they worshipped.
Thalssiouress

The island that resides above the city ruins.
Srassen

The suppousedly dormant volcano on that island
Sath-K'lesth

The Aztec-like human civilization that once occupied that island.
Tenochtitlan

The primitive half-orc tribe that replaced the humans.
Agorud

The small settlement that contains a prison that is now on that island.
Tlatoani

Turanil

First Post
An ancient city-state of yuan-ti: Ishi'snek

The name of the dark, hideous god they worshipped: Yog Azash

The island that resides above the city ruins: World's End

The supposedly dormant volcano on that island: Hell's Mounth

The Aztec-like human civilization that once occupied that island: Klopatanatec

The primitive half-orc tribe that replaced the humans: The Chosen of Gruult

The small settlement that contains a prison that is now on that island: Black Harbour

The name of the aboleth, kraken, and ancient blue dragon that have formed a new cult around the yuan-ti's ancient god: Frol'ublath, Grash-seeeh, Klatahn The Thunderer

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: Mmmmh!! :) Now I am thinking of borrowing this for myself, and add it to some concepts out of another thread around which subject was the name of a kobold sorceres... Yet another thread on some dungeon idea, and we've got a cool adventure on these boards! :cool:

Last edited:

Pinotage

Explorer
Here's my attempt:

An ancient city-state of yuan-ti - Y'Ald
The name of the dark, hideous god they worshipped - Ti'Quagrom
The island that resides above the city ruins - Narshapay
The suppousedly dormant volcano on that island - Tikrag
The Aztec-like human civilization that once occupied that island - The Armarog
The primitive half-orc tribe that replaced the humans - Ga'Tay
The small settlement that contains a prison that is now on that island - Carracus
The name of the aboleth, kraken, and ancient blue dragon that have formed a new cult around the yuan-ti's ancient god - Im'Salam, Ug'Yohim, and Shetremgetrashig

Yuck! ;)

Pinotage

Firebeetle

Explorer
Thank you folks, what a great outpouring. I'm trying to design a 1st to 20th level campaign that will use WorldWorks 3-D sets.

Dirigible said:
A bit sparse on the info, but here's my try.

I'll be happy to give you a run-down of the background. I've also added a couple of names I need.

Eons ago, the yuan-ti erected a great city-state called (insert name here) dedicated to the worship of their dread gods. One of these gods (insert name here), the storm and destruction god, became angry when he was not favored by the inhabitants of the city and destroyed it by raising a volcano (insert name here) from the ocean floor. The survivors of the cataclycsm formed a cult around the storm god, but regressed from their previous glory.

The volcano formed an island, which was beset with storms, a residual effect of the cataclycsm. The island was settled by primitive humans who built a small civilization there called the (insert name here.) They built many pyramids and other stone settlements and prospered, until the coming of a terrible tribe of sea-faring orc raiders, the (insert name here.) The orcs killed off most of the population, leaving only young females for the purposes of rape and slavery. They left after half a year, leaving the survivors to bear their brood. Thus was born the tribe of half-orcs (insert name here) that inhabit the island, who have lost the civilization of their ancestors but are fairly peaceable. During this time the volcano became dormant.

The island was discovered by a modern kingdom quite by accident. The stormy region scared off most ships, and a fleeing pirate ship entered it to escape pursuit. When captured, the pirate (insert name here) traded information about the island for his freedom. Orignally, the kingdom set up a fort and an important lighthouse (run by a reclusive wizard) there, followed by a penal colony (insert name here.) Eventually, they placed a prison on the island (insert name here)for political prisoners notorious for it's skull shaped entrace.

Meanwhile, the ancient yuan-ti cult has attracted new leadership, an aboleth(insert name here), a kraken(insert name here), and an ancient blue dragon (insert name here) who believe they can enslave the world if they can gather the pieces of an artifact (insert name here) that will allow them to control storms.

Other settlements important to the campaign are a merman/aquatic elf settlement nearby (insert name here), under the ocean, that trade with the colony. There is also a floating city of rafts (insert name here) populated by a sea-faring tribe of gnomes that will pass the island during the campaign.

So, more names that I need include:
The terrible sea-faring tribe of orc raiders
The pirate that discovered the island.
The merman/aquatic elf settlement
The sea gnome floating raft city.

I really like some of the names I'm seeing. I'll specify which ones in my next post.

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
Okay, here are some more:

The terrible sea-faring tribe of orc raiders
Sahreen Sea Bandits

The pirate that discovered the island
Chantico (name of the Aztec god of hearth fires, personal treasure, and volcanoes)

The merman/aquatic elf settlement
Marvéanto (combines the words sea, ocean and wind from the spanish spelling of the words)

The sea gnome floating raft city
Unikiroo

Remove ads