• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help me munchkinize this NPC

In a world I'm creating (which I'm not going to run, since I suck as a DM, I'm going to try to get a sucker^H^H^H^H^H^Hgenerous soul to run it for me), there's a city of elves called Aisur'Donu. It's the longest-standing elven civilization in the world - over twenty thousand years old.

Over those twenty thousand years, they have become the single most powerful community in this particular world. It's one of the few places where high elves, with their absurdly low birthrate, flourish, because most elves are certain to grow up and reproduce.

They aren't interested in ruling the world. Their dealings are with other worlds and other planes. (Although they do offer what they consider minor aid to local civilizations that they approve of.)

They call their standing army the Marines, for reasons of ancient tradition, and there are about 2,000 enlisted, perhaps 500 NCOs and officers, 500 auxiliary reservists(spellcasters) and another 700 or 800 children who have passed the rigorous entry exams and who are in training.

Minimum level for full Marine status is 12. They don't do the warrior class, if you are going to take up war as a profession, you become a Fighter.

Here are the house rules that apply. Don't worry, I'll get to the actual example character soon.

Parallel Classes

There is a 'parallel class' in my setting called the Sidereal Class. Everyone can progress in it, but you can only progress through study and training(not adventuring), and the only rewards for each level are extra skill points or feats. PCs can benefit from this during downtime, but the primary purpose is to empower NPCs who've, say, spent 50+ years developing and only have 8 measly levels to show for it.

Sidereal Levels are tracked parallel to regular levels, and do not interfere in standard level progression in any way.

Aisur'Doni Weapons and Armor

Aisur'Doni primary weapons are special sabres and kukris. The sabres act exactly like rapiers except that their critical bonus is x3 instead of x2. The kukris likewise have been improved to have a critical bonus of x3.

Furthermore, Aisur'Doni mithral techniques increase the critical multiplier of all edged weapons by an additional 1. So Aisur'Doni mithral sabres and kukris have critical multipliers of x4.

This is the result of an unbroken chain of millenia of weapons research and development.

All Aisur'Doni are assumed to be proficient in the Sabre and the Kukri.

Furthermore, Aisur'Doni elven mithral chain allows a defensive Dex bonus of +6, and an unlimited offensive Dex bonus.

Critical Threat Stacking Rule

Improved Critical and Keen magic stack. (The keen enchantment and the keen spell do _not_ stack, because they are the same thing.)

Note that this means that properly trained Aisur'Doni Marines can have a threat range of 12-20 with their x4 weapons.

Energy Enchantment Streamlining Rule

Sonic weapon enchantments now work like the other four - Fire, Ice, Lightning, and Acid. That is, the +1 enchantment adds a straight 1d6 (sonic) damage per hit. There is also a +2 version, called the Thunderburst, that adds 1d10 on a critical like the others do.

In addition, all XXXX Burst weapons, in the event of a critical hit, lose the original 1d6 damage that happens with all normal hits, and instead do Xd10 on a critical hit, where X in the critical multiplier.

Note that this means that Aisur'Doni weapons, if enchanted with a Burst weapon, do 4d10 energy damage on any critical hit.

Reservior Contribution Technique

Non-casters can contribute XP to spells and items. They can also contribute damage backlash if the spell is cast on them.

Inherent Buildup Technique

Wishes and Miracles do not need to be used all at once to build up high inherent bonuses. The cap is still 5, and epic spells still overlap rather than stack.

Old But Strong Assumption

With over 20,000 years of development, the Aisur'Doni have accumulated a large stock of items that they outfit their Marines with. Furthermore, it is standard for people to enhance Ability scores and lifespan by contributing the required XP and suffering any necessary backlash. (There's generally a 15% xp surcharge-cum-contribution, this is used for item creation.)

Arcane Evolution Rule

The Aisur'Doni race has been growing more magical, so that even unmagical classes manifest powers. At first level, nonmagical classes get a level 1 arcane or healing spell that they can use. The spell can be used for either 1 minute per level (1 round per level if the spell description is 1 round/level or Concentrate) or 1/day for every three levels (round up), as appropriate. By appropriate, I mean that the spell must have a duration of no more than one round, and a target of Self. Casting is considered a Free Action.

If they wish, they may pick 2 0-level spells instead.

At 5th level, they may pick a 2nd level spell, 2 first level spells, 4 0-level spells, or a combination.

At 10th level, they may pick a 3rd level spell, 1 2nd level spell and 1 1st level spell, 3 first level spells, or six 0-level spells.

And so on every 5 levels.

If the caster level is important (such as for Cure Light Wounds), caster level is the minimum for a wizard or cleric to cast the spell.

Okay, I think that's everything. Remember that to get into the Marines is a prestigious accomplishment, and they have high standards. I took the Elite array and boosted it a bit. Here's my attempt to create a grossly unfair character:

Typical Aisur'Doni Marine (or, if you prefer, Typical Aisur'Doni SEAL):

High Elf, age 210 (will not reach middle age until 325)

Str 20(I-4)(26), Int 14, Wis 10, Dex 25(I-5)(31), Con 14(I-1)(20), Cha 12

Fighter 14, Sidereal 12(9 feats, 3 skills)

HP: 152

AC: 25, Flat-footed 19, Touch 16

BAB: 14/9/4

Initiative: +14

Reflex: +4(15), Will: +4(9), Fort: +9(19)

Attacks: +27/+27/+22/+17(Sabre), +26/+26/+21/+16(Kukri)

Damage: 1d6+1d6(sonic)+12 (Sabre), 1d4+1d6(sonic)+10 (Kukri)

Threat Range: 12-20

Critical Damage: 4d6+4d10(sonic)+48 (Sabre), 4d4+4d10(sonic)+40 (Kukri)

Skill Points: 98

Feats: 22

Improved Critical, Weapon Finesse, Two-Weapon Fighting, Improved Two-Weapon Fighting, Greater Two-Weapon Fighting, Endurance, Weapon Focus(Sabre), Weapon Specialization(Sabre), Weapon Focus(Kukri), Weapon Specialization(Kukri), Greater Weapon Focus(Sabre), Greater Weapon Specialization(Sabre), Improved Initiative, and nine others

Aisur'Doni Inherent Magic:

True Strike 5/day
Cure Moderate Wounds(self) 2d8+3 5/day
Blink 14 rounds/day

Assigned Magic Items:

Elven Chain + 4 of Moderate Fortification and SR 15
Aisur'Doni Keen Mithral Sabre +3 of Speed and Thunderburst
Aisur'Doni Keen Mithral Kukri of Speed and Thunderburst
Ring of Resistance + 5
Amulet of Health +6
Gloves of Dexterity + 6
Belt of Giant's Strength +6
Wings of Flying and Swimming
Handy Haversack
Others as appropriate for expected environmental conditions and special threats

Personal Magic Items: Varied

The Wings of Flying and Swimming, in addition to the standard Wings of Flying powers, allow 60 feet movement, free action, and breathing when underwater. They are intended to be grossly munchkin.

That was a typical Marine. About half of the Marines can be considered to be near-copies of him. Another 300ish are studying up to hit level 14, and the other 700ish are veterans and elites who are approaching or are into epic territory.

(Aisur'Doni training methods top out around level 15 - level 14 for fighters because there's less pressure to develop such methods, level 16 for wizards. Past that, gaining xp is a matter of personal development and ambition.)

He's supposed to be just about the best **** fighter for his level in the world. Can anyone give me a CR estimate for him as written, and suggestions on how to push that even higher? I still have 9 feats to spend.

-Albert the Absentminded

PS. This is an NPC, intended as a kind of 'power level ceiling' example for this world. I want to play a human druid.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads