• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help me name a Firey Macguffin

Stoat

Adventurer
Thanks for the ideas! So far, I'm torn between the Talisman of Colorless Fire and the Crystal of the Ebon Flame. I'll take any other ideas anybody can pitch out, too.

Some other good ones from the 1e DMG (though nothing to do with fire) are the Iron Flask of Tuerny the Merciless, the Jacinth of Inestimable Beauty, the Ring of Gaxx and the Teeth of Dahlver-Nar.

I ran a really long 2nd Edition campaign that involved the players trying to find all the Teeth of Dahlver-Nal. It was some of the most fun I've ever had playing D&D.

Mallus

Legend
Another suggestion: Hell's Heart.

As in "From Hell's heart I stab at thee". What it lacks in D&D pedigree it more that makes up for by being a Wrath of Khan/Moby Dick reference.

Ambrus

Explorer
The "Colorless Fire" bit was picked up in various 3e psionic splatbooks such as Hyperconscious.

There's also the Forgotten Realms' Spellfire phenomena; a mystical ability possessed by very few to absorb magical energy and to release it as some form of magical fire. In such a case your MacGuffin could be one (or more) innocent person with the innate ability to manifest Spellfire.

If you're aiming for pseudo-historical stuff then you might want to consider the alchemical tradition which includes the process of calcification; the first mystical step needed to manufacture the Philosopher's Stone. The MacGuffin in this case could be the Philosopher's Stone itself, or perhaps the Emerald Tablet which describes the process for creating the stone, including the crucial calcification step. By modifying the ritual the devil might be able to Calcify his icy prison.

How about the Holocaust Cloak from the Princess Bride?

If you simply want some pretty names, then how about:

• The Hellfire Mantle (burning cloak)
• The Ashen Hand (gauntlet, ring or mace)
• The Crown of Fire Unending
• Conflagration Blade
• Ring of the Inferno
• Hellstorm (infernal weapon)

Mix and match names and items to arrive at a suitable combination. :)

Lackhand

First Post
I like Hell's Heart, The Talisman of Colourless Flame, and The Crystal of Ebon Flame a lot :)

Might I also suggest Surtr's Nail or Ashardalon's Talon?

MarkB

Legend
A bit of cod-Latin never goes amiss. How about The Ignus Novarium for an artefact?

Or play with real-world myth - maybe The Prometheum Tome for the ultimate fire-based spellbook.

diaglo

Adventurer
In an effort to escape his frozen tomb, the Archdevil Levistus has directed his minions to recover the [Firey Macguffin] from the Elemental Chaos/Plane of Elemental Fire. He hopes the legendary power of the [Firey Macguffin] will melt the infernal ice which holds him captive.

I can't think of what to call the Firey Macguffin. I'd prefer to use an existing name with historical meaning in the game -- an artifact from the 1E DMG, some obscure Planescape doo-dad, something from a good adventure, etc. That way, I could draw on a little published background to flesh things out.

Any suggestions?

how about a creature from the 1edADnD DDG (1980)?
The Phoenix.
he needs someone to bring him The Phoenix and sacrifice it in his presence. it will rise from its ashes. but the explosion will melt his bonds.

edit: fleshing this out more you can have a competing group trying to prevent The Phoenix from being sacrificed. they have heard that sacrificing the creature at the prison would mean it would be dead forever. and not rise again from its ashes like it has so many times before. a deed they won't allow.

you can also have The Phoenix be a chaos card. a free spirit of its own. not wanting to be taken there. the party not being able to kill it due to the damage it does when it explodes to nearby places, people, and things.

and you can make the creature a thing of wonder using the legends that exist in the game and outside the game. plus make up some stories yourself as hooks. maybe it only eats a certain food so it has to migrate the planes.

Last edited:

Remove ads