• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help me name my store

Zaruthustran

The tingling means it’s working!
Cool, thanks for the info. If you're trying to attract the college gamer crowd then I have a bit of humble advice.

First, college kids are social animals. Instead of one game room in back, I'd design your entire store concept around hanging out. Have as much game space as possible, and consider making the place almost a lounge--a place where gamers can come and hang out. In Seattle we have a bunch of very successful book stores/coffee shops; you could try for a game store/coffee shop.

This would mean your store would carry newspapers, magazines (game magazines, including computer game and small-print magazines like Asgard and maybe printed-out copies of that d20 Weekly zine), and have a number of small tables and comfortable couches. You'd have a large selection of novels to browse, but you'd have to be careful about theft and damage to books.

You could even look into having movie nights or large-scale game nights (RPGA, social board games, non-collectible card games) or tournaments on the weekends. The stereotypical college gamer isn't exactly awash in invitations to frat parties and other college weekend festivities. Point is, you want lots of traffic.

Second, college students are poor. They won't have a lot of money for buying books. Consider a credit card-secured book rental or even loan program (if you don't return it, you buy it--if you decide to buy it, you can deduct the cost of the rental). Watch out for theft, especially of high-cost books and small items like mins.

But even poor college students need to eat, and go out and socialize. Make your place a hangout, and they'll be able to spend at least a little money with you.

Third, even if you personally dislike CCGs you have to recognize that they make money. You might want to view them as a necesary evil, especially during the summer when the college kids aren't around--but the younger kids are looking for something to do/something to spend money on. Game Studio has a perfect operation going if they've managed to get moms to simply drop off their kids for an entire day.

-z

Last edited:

jezter6

Explorer
Thanks all for your help guys, I *really* appreciate this!

As for the college students, I remember those days well (in fact I came from one of those universities). Luckily there's a few pizza shops and others around close by that people will hang out in.

Right now I do not have the money to be quite so large with couches and tables and multiple game rooms. But, I'll look that way in the future. It sounds great.

I know ccg's are a certain evil, and I may go small into them, but never as large as other people. The thing I don't understand is, I know that a lot of those kids spend money (how else did they get all those cards), but a lot of time they just hang out and trade with each other and play, not really buying...and I do, personally, refuse to play babysitter.

That said, all your suggestions have been overwhelmingly helpful, and I'm putting a lot of those into my business plan for the future. (Hopefully banks will see the planned growth and be happy about it)

jezter6

Explorer
I did forget to add a few other comments (didn't wanna be too long in one post).

movie night is something I seriously considered, but there are laws against public showing of movies, so I have to see a lawyer there.

And for college gamers needing places to go, I plan on having gaming space and snacks and all the good stuff...but I don't think having a saturday game nite is goign to be all that popular knowing the party crowd we're dealing with. It may be something to try once, and if it works..roll with it.

I do plan on having a mag racks with computer gaming mags, dragon mag, the ccg price guides (i know...i know), etc...and a place to sit down and rest and all.

The book loan program is a good idea, just gotta worry about damage (it's hard to check every page when they bring it back)...as well as letting them read in the store...I'm wary of that too. I will have a fine selection of source material in the gaming room for free use during sessions, but other than that, I'm not sure...

keep the talk coming :)

Zaruthustran

Expansion on social idea

Here's another idea on the social angle. Once your store is open, try to identify a few of the more social regulars. Recruit them to run events at your store. Not just D&D games, but large-scale event games that appeal to more than gamers: How To Host a Murder parties, scavenger hunts, Twister parties, and other mass-market social games. Games that the sororities would think of as fun. The games don't have to be held at your shop, but you could provide a little organization help, prizes, or even sell the games at half price (volume/event discount). The idea is that you want to advertise and get the word out that your shop is a source for fun activities.

Be sure to also sponsor/host game clubs. As in, you're friendly to local larp groups and RPGA groups. Definitely keep a gamer-seeking-gamers registry, a bulleting board, etc. Have handy resources for larpers like local costume shops and gamer-friendly parks. Best part about this "community" stuff is that your clientelle will happily do all this work for you if you let them. You could even hire on a part-time employee to handle event scheduling.

Talk to the history and management professors. Show them your miniatures games (especially Warhammer Ancient Battles, hardcore historical wargames like ASL, and Napoleonics) and your negotiation/management sim games (like Settlers of Cattan and Diplomacy). Show how these games are perfect for their class. Tell them you can come in and explain the rules and provide the game sets in exchange for a small fee. The idea is to let the faculty know that you're a resource, not only for materials but also for ideas and expertise.

-z

jezter6

Explorer
dang man, you need to go in to the chat room, we're starting to post in real time!

i do know a lot of the professors there, luckily, and can use a few of them as a resource...since the SBDC (small biz development center) is located in the college, I have an IN that I can use there.

hopefully my community will be a good gaming community and have lots of people, but this town is small and finding gamers here isn't easy...hopefully this kind of shop will do it for me, who knows.

the other thing i've talked about with some other business owners is cross-sales. there's a weapons shop about 5 miles away, so i've talked with them about having some weapons in the shop (small swords and stuff) to sell for them if they advertise gaming in their shop which is most likely popular for LARPers.

I'm also talking with a new age shop that does stuff like tarot and these nifty dragon minis (not gaming mini's, but small statues) and sell them in my store for some advertising.

Zaruthustran

Yeah, the laws on public showing of movies need to be looked at. As long as you don't charge for the viewing of the movie, I think you'll be ok. But best to make sure.

The night activities are a radical idea, but I think you'd be surprised at how well it'll work. Gamers need a place to game and dorm rooms are tiny. The library and cafeteria close at night. Where do they go to game? Your store.

For weekends, well, even at a party school there are those who are too young to go to the bars. They could always go to a school party (Bob Jones in Case Hall doesn't card ;) ), but some kids can't get into those parties or aren't interested. But that doesn't mean they don't want to go and hang out somewhere besides their stuffy dorm room. Your store might be such a place.

Thanks for listening to these ideas. As you can see, I too have always wanted a game shop. :)

-z

Good luck! Be sure to post and let us know how it works out.

MerakSpielman

First Post
How about

The Gamin' Haven?

Say it out loud a few times, it's kind of catchy.

Another idea: You could have a room in the back of the store for gaming with a sign above it that reads: "The room in the back of the store (tm)"

Florin

First Post
Best thing ever invented: 24 hour gaming.

Every couple of months, my FLGS would have 24 hours of gaming. They'd keep the store open and recruit people to run games and encourage people to just come in and play. They cleaned up at those. There is nothing better for creating impulse buying. People would play a game of Mage or whatever and walk 20 feet, grab the book, and take it up to the counter!

My FLGS usually closed around 8pm, and I remember walking by at 10pm wishing they were open. :) Gamers are nocturnal creatures.

CTD

First Post
One last comment on those CCG's Jester...

I agree with your sentiment about not buying boxes of them that sit and collect dust. That's bad for business health. You want enough inventory to maintain the attention of your clients, but not so much that it sits on the shelf for years.

Still, there is a balance to be found. If a CCG is all the rage, it is good business sense to buy it, one unit at a time, and sell it. Only buy more as customer demand merits. If customer demand slacks, but the orders down asap and get rid of the existing stock.

I felt quite bad for a number of shops locally that bit Pokemon too hard and then had to move it at 75% discount. They didn't profit. They lost.

Basically, I'd suggest you keep your finger on the pulse of the CCG industry and keep stock of the lines that are hot, and drop them when they cool off. That way you can profit on the fads and give your clients something they will likely want, and you can pass on things when they become slow movers.

Remove ads