• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help me name my store

Sidran

First Post
Here in our town we had two successful game stores

Dragon's Den, and McCormicks Miniatures

Dragon's Den went outa business due to theft of store goods ( It had multiple rooms that made it hard for the man at the counter to see the whole store)

McCormicks was sold to another gamer, and downsized to one store 80 miles away now known as Mangrove Games

My suggestions

The Tower's Attic
The Loresmiths Nitch
Tower Games
Realms of Adventure
The Gamers Garage ( Lounge)

Here in Chico we have a coffee shop called the Nudists Lounge which has a whole lotta cool couches, and little rooms. The Idea of a Couched gaming store is cool

Just have a sunken pit where the couches are placed with in store Book copies of the major Books like the Core Rule books, and a few of the other books.

Try and stock as much of the Smaller Game Publishers such as Necromancer Press, Mongoose Games, Green Ronan, and FFG

Have out of print RPG's such as some of the harder to find GURPS, and Rifts stuff, Palladium, and just any old D&D or AD&D Module you can find. I think it would be cool to have a Fantasy Fiction, and Sci Fi Fiction in store reading library ( Most books could be bought at the local Used Bookstore or found at a Yard Sell) Sell dice, lots of dice, and Gamer useful minis like the Reaper stuff, and GW. Any of the old Ral Partha, would be neat to find and you could prolly get a big bunch from a gamer who has to many Minis to paint just sitting in a box somewheres.

Take a survey in your local area ( as easy as printing out a hundred or so pamplets with a questionare about what the College people are looking for in a hangout, and what they feal is lacking in your town. )

Be sure and stock CCG's like Magic, and as a player I would love to see the Game of Thrones in a store.

Always be on the look out for a nerdy guy who would love to volunteer for a DMing session, or even a Saturday Evening Dungeon Mastering Discussion group ( For all of the DM's to gather and talk about DM'ing)

Have a PC with the Campaign Cartographer on it sell disks and let the DM's use the CC2 to draw up their worlds Which they then could save to disks and take to Kinkos, of course the CC2 is not the only Software you should have.

A store copy of games like Blood Bowl, Gothic, Space Hulk, and the other great games from GW would be a plus ( just keep them behind the counter)

Hold the 24 Gaming Day one night a month

And lastly have a good supply of munchies (for sale of course)

Soda Machine, and Candy Bar & Chip Vendor

Dingleberry

First Post
Zaruthustran said:
Yeah, the laws on public showing of movies need to be looked at. As long as you don't charge for the viewing of the movie, I think you'll be ok. But best to make sure.

Definitely talk to a lawyer before showing movies, playing CDs, or even playing the radio in your store. Not charging and/or not making money does NOT save you - that's why there are statutory damages for copyright infringement.

jezter6

Explorer
Telor:

Wilkes-Barre it is! How'd you guess?

Really, there is only one gaming store, and 2 or 3 comic shops, and they do almost no d20 anymore.

I've always thought hazleton needs a gaming store too, that'll be my second venture if this one is a success.

Zef

First Post
How about "Shop of Holding"
"Buy Stuff Here" :) (Maybe Not)
"Waaaa Orc's"
"Just Roleplay"
"Pen and Paper"
"Character Sheet"
"Ye olde roleplay shop"

They all sounded good when I thought of them

Zef

First Post
As for actually in the shop if you had an old pc lying about (there pretty cheap for an old petium) you could download the sample pages from the main sites and let people have a look though them that way.

Could save the need for the "important" books to be thumbed through in the shop

SonOfLilith

First Post
Let me just say that I would kill for a place like that down here in Dana Point CA.

Second, the idea of an open gaming space is great because it promotes different groups to game together. However, you might want to have one or two private rooms for people (maybe you could even rent them).

Also, if you're aiming for college students, Video Game tournements like SSBM or Tekken might be a good idea too.

Again, Jezter6, I envy people living in your area. Maybe you can move down here and open one up. There is no competition! the rent is kinda high though...

As for names, I'd go with something with "Den" or "Pad" that encourages people to hang out. The best thing you can do is develope loyal customers.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Dingleberry said:

Definitely talk to a lawyer before showing movies, playing CDs, or even playing the radio in your store. Not charging and/or not making money does NOT save you - that's why there are statutory damages for copyright infringement.

As another fellow lawyer, I've got to say "don't be silly". Of course you can play the radio or a CD in your store. Nobody is going to go after a small game store for copyright infringement because they are playing the radio or a CD in their store. Nobody. And even if some insane copyright holder did do that, they would start with a cease and desist letter, not a lawsuit.

Dingleberry, stop scaring people!

Remove ads