• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help Me Name Two New Conditions

FireLance

Legend
As part of my personal project to re-work the evocation school of magic, I've come up with two new conditions that I've tentatively called "seeing spots" and "hard of hearing".

"Seeing spots" is a more serious form of the dazzled condition, but not as serious as blinded. A character who is "seeing spots":
- Takes a -2 penalty on Search and Spot checks.
- All opponents are considered to have concealment (20% miss chance) with respect to him.

"Hard of hearing" is a less serious form of the deafened condition. A character who is "hard of hearing":
- Takes a -2 penalty on initiative checks and Listen checks.
- Takes a -1 penalty on AC against ranged attacks.
- Takes a -1 penalty on AC against melee attacks when flanked. This AC penalty also applies to melee attacks from opponents who are not actually flanking him.

For the record, I also intend to add double the AC penalties to the deafened condition.

I'd like to come up with a simple, one-word name for these two conditions, but I haven't been able to do so even after checking through a thesaurus. Does anybody have any suggestions?

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Perhaps Visual Overload and Audio Overload (or Sonic Overload). So someone could be Overloaded in any given sense (the Scent special ability, for example, could be Overloaded temporarily by a stinking cloud spell).

If you don't like overloaded, perhaps Over Stimulated or Saturated?

Cheers, -- N

silvermane

Explorer
I though being dazzled was more or less just "seeing spots". Overall, spots are not very distracting (if your eyesight is good) and quickly fade away. If they're more serious than dazzled, what does dazzled represent?

"Hard of hearing" implies a permanent condition.

FireLance

Legend
silvermane said:
I though being dazzled was more or less just "seeing spots". Overall, spots are not very distracting (if your eyesight is good) and quickly fade away. If they're more serious than dazzled, what does dazzled represent?
Dazzled represents anything that just gives you a -1 penalty to attack rolls, Search checks and Spot checks. As mentioned, the middling condition is for something more serious than that, but not as serious as actual blindness. I suppose it could cover being teary-eyed, being short-sighted, or just seeing very big spots.

Remove ads