Help me optimize a Genasi Swordmage|Warlock?

Kamui

First Post
[sblock]====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Kent, level 30
Genasi, Swordmage|Warlock, Coronal Guard, Sage of Ages
Swordmage Aegis (Hybrid): Aegis of Shielding
Eldritch Pact (Hybrid): Vestige Pact (Hybrid)
Hybrid Warlock: Hybrid Warlock Will
Twofold Pact: Infernal Pact
Hybrid Talent: Swordmage Warding
Elemental Manifestation: Voidsoul
Vestige Mastery: Vestige of Leraje
Background: High Imaskar (High Imaskar Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 13, Con 26, Dex 10, Int 26, Wis 12, Cha 15.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 11, Con 16, Dex 8, Int 16, Wis 10, Cha 13.

AC: 47 Fort: 45 Reflex: 46 Will: 45
HP: 184 Surges: 15 Surge Value: 46

TRAINED SKILLS
Religion +34, History +34, Arcana +49

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +15, Bluff +23, Diplomacy +17, Dungeoneering +22, Endurance +25, Heal +16, Insight +16, Intimidate +23, Nature +24, Perception +16, Stealth +15, Streetwise +17, Thievery +15, Athletics +16

FEATS
Feat User Choice: War Wizard's Expertise
Feat User Choice: Melee Training (Intelligence)
Feat User Choice: Improved Defenses
Level 1: Hybrid Talent
Level 2: Improved Initiative (retrained to Superior Initiative at Level 22)
Level 4: Mark of Warding
Level 6: Bloodied Boon
Level 8: Skill Focus (Arcana)
Level 10: Arcane Familiar
Level 11: Twofold Pact
Level 12: Twofold Curse
Level 14: Double Aegis (retrained to Total Aegis at Level 21)
Level 16: Psychic Lock
Level 18: Protective Hex
Level 20: Shared Pact
Level 21: Superior Will
Level 22: Vestige Mastery
Level 24: Warding Curse
Level 26: Rapid Aegis Reaction
Level 28: Epic Reflexes
Level 30: Epic Will

POWERS
Hybrid at-will 1: Sword Burst
Hybrid at-will 1: Eyes of the Vestige
Infernal Pact: Hellish Rebuke
Hybrid encounter 1: Chains of Levistus
Hybrid daily 1: Vile Brand
Hybrid utility 2: Channeling Shield
Hybrid encounter 3: Dimensional Vortex
Hybrid daily 5: Swordmage Shielding Fire
Hybrid utility 6: Mirror Darkly
Hybrid encounter 7: Transposing Lunge
Hybrid daily 9: Vestige of the Onyx Queen
Hybrid utility 10: Ethereal Sidestep
Hybrid encounter 13: Soul Flaying (replaces Chains of Levistus)
Hybrid daily 15: Vestige of Leraje (replaces Vile Brand)
Hybrid utility 16: Borrowed Confidence
Hybrid encounter 17: Thundering Vortex (replaces Transposing Lunge)
Hybrid daily 19: Ward of Scales (replaces Vestige of the Onyx Queen)
Hybrid utility 22: Entropic Ward
Hybrid encounter 23: Radiant Shield (replaces Dimensional Vortex)
Hybrid daily 25: Word of the Sorcerer-King (replaces Ward of Scales)
Hybrid encounter 27: Zutwa's Incandescence (replaces Soul Flaying)
Hybrid daily 29: Transdimensional Invasion (replaces Swordmage Shielding Fire)

ITEMS
Starleather Armor of Dark Majesty +6, Cloak of Translocation +2, Ring of Free Time (epic tier), Diamond Cincture (epic tier), Githyanki Silver Longsword +6, Shadow Band, Many-Fingered Gloves (paragon tier), Boots of Teleportation (epic tier), Iron of Spite (epic tier)
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======[/sblock]
It's mostly meant to be based off of Darth Vader, but I know that build is relatively old so I tried to change the powers based on ratings from the Swordmage and Warlock guidebooks. I also wasn't entirely sure what the benefits of the Avernian Knight PP were, since it's Strength-based, so I switched to a Shieldmage PP instead. (I entirely expect that some of the choices I made might have significantly messed some stuff up, though.)

Any suggestions on improving this?

entropiccanuck

First Post
What level are you starting at, and how far are you expecting to go?

For the PP I'd look at Sigil Carver or Malec-Keth Janissary. You'll get a lot of THP from Infernal Pact, and later get a Baldric of Shielding (19), and the THP Coronal Guard won't stack with all that.

Feats: Intelligent Blademaster gives your int mod to damage, so is better than melee training (Int). Look at the Warding Curse feat.

Pick up a Rod of Corruption (lvl 3 item), just need the +1 version for spreading your curse, and you can drop Twofold Curse.

With your focus on Arcana, Arcane Mutterings (lvl 2 utility) is pretty versatile. Similarly, Bracer's of Mental Might (lvl 6 item) lets you use int instead of strength for some checks.

If the voidsoul is thematic or you know psychic resist is useful in your campaign, cool, but as a defender you don't really want to be disappearing from the scene. Stormsoul potentially gives the most damage, and Cindersoul has a useful resist, power, and darkvision for a feat, which can be useful in some campaigns.

piscodemon

First Post
[sblock]====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Kent, level 30
Genasi, Swordmage|Warlock, Coronal Guard, Sage of Ages
Eldritch Pact (Hybrid): Vestige Pact (Hybrid)
Twofold Pact: Infernal Pact
Elemental Manifestation: Voidsoul
Vestige Mastery: Vestige of Leraje

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 13, Con 26, Dex 10, Int 26, Wis 12, Cha 15.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 11, Con 16, Dex 8, Int 16, Wis 10, Cha 13.

AC: 47 Fort: 45 Reflex: 46 Will: 45

TRAINED SKILLS
Religion +34, History +34, Arcana +49

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +15, Bluff +23, Diplomacy +17, Dungeoneering +22, Endurance +25, Heal +16, Insight +16, Intimidate +23, Nature +24, Perception +16, Stealth +15, Streetwise +17, Thievery +15, Athletics +16

FEATS
Feat User Choice: War Wizard's Expertise
Level 2: Improved Initiative (retrained to Superior Initiative at Level 22)
Level 6: Bloodied Boon
Level 10: Arcane Familiar
Level 14: Double Aegis (retrained to Total Aegis at Level 21)
Level 16: Psychic Lock
Level 18: Protective Hex
Level 20: Shared Pact
Level 22: Vestige Mastery
Level 24: Warding Curse
Level 26: Rapid Aegis Reaction

POWERS
Hybrid at-will 1: Eyes of the Vestige
Infernal Pact: Hellish Rebuke
Hybrid daily 1: Vile Brand
Hybrid utility 2: Channeling Shield
Hybrid daily 5: Swordmage Shielding Fire
Hybrid utility 6: Mirror Darkly
Hybrid daily 9: Vestige of the Onyx Queen
Hybrid daily 15: Vestige of Leraje (replaces Vile Brand)
Hybrid daily 19: Ward of Scales (replaces Vestige of the Onyx Queen)
Hybrid utility 22: Entropic Ward
Hybrid daily 25: Word of the Sorcerer-King (replaces Ward of Scales)
Hybrid encounter 27: Zutwa's Incandescence (replaces Soul Flaying)
Hybrid daily 29: Transdimensional Invasion (replaces Swordmage Shielding Fire)

ITEMS
Starleather Armor of Dark Majesty +6, Cloak of Translocation +2, Ring of Free Time (epic tier), Diamond Cincture (epic tier), Githyanki Silver Longsword +6, Shadow Band, Many-Fingered Gloves (paragon tier), Boots of Teleportation (epic tier), Iron of Spite (epic tier)
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======[/sblock]
It's mostly meant to be based off of Darth Vader, but I know that build is relatively old so I tried to change the powers based on ratings from the Swordmage and Warlock guidebooks. I also wasn't entirely sure what the benefits of the Avernian Knight PP were, since it's Strength-based, so I switched to a Shieldmage PP instead. (I entirely expect that some of the choices I made might have significantly messed some stuff up, though.)

Any suggestions on improving this?

Oh hey my favorite type of character. A lot of thoughts in no order:

I'd suggest Sigil Carver like the above poster; its level 16 feature lets marked targets provoke MBAs from you at a range, assuming they attack an adjacent target. I also agree with his suggestion of palming a cheap rod of corruption; this is going to be a minor-action starved build, and your curse is probably going to be more important than your mark, especially if you taking protective hex and later, warding hex. I also agree with entropiccanuck about voidsoul being something you don't want to use, since it takes away your line of effect for using things like dimensional vortex and the like, as well as triggering your aegis. That said, it looks as if your goal was to stack attack penalties on monsters and to use voidsoul afterward to disappear and force a miss. If so, it's a valid tactic once it gets going, but it still has the drawbacks from earlier (which increase if you're coronal guard, or sigil carver.) I also agree that Stormsoul is a good choice, but it also adds yet another minor.

Assuming Dragonmarks are available, and assuming you take sigil carver for its level 16 feature, I would suggest eldritch strike over eyes of the vestige. Actually, I'd suggest that regardless of dragonmarks. Its a warlock power that works as an MBA, which saves you a feat from intelligent blademaster or melee training. Being a warlock power, it also triggers curse. Finally, it has a baked in slide 1 on a hit, which combines with Sigil Carver to let you bat enemies out of attacks against your allies. This can optionally be paired up with the mark of storm and either a lightning weapon or the arcane admixture (lightning) to add an additional 1 to your slide, and assuming you used admixture, can further be combined with a staggering weapon to add 3 or more squares, for a total minimum slide of 5. You're not using psychic damage, but who says you're not using the force?

I would suggest sorcerer-king rather than infernal for your twofold pact. I personally have never felt that infernal's boon provided much of a buffer, but I admit I do love a lot of the riders on a lot of the powers. That said, sorc king for the urik feats adds to your defending. The short of it is that Golden Lion of Urik forces your cursed targets to choose between going prone or being weakened when your pact boon triggers, and also gives sorc-king riders to a few powers, including your soul flaying power, turning it into a spell that also grants one ally a basic attack w/bonus damage against the target you hit with it.

Finally, regarding powers, I feel that they all look good, but I see a lot of minor actions, which you're going to be fighting over as the turns go on. Heck, going by power selection, Curse, Mark, Mirror Darkly, and Borrowed Confidance are all possible turn 1 options that you're going to be fighting between, so try and bake as many of your options into others as you can.

Last edited:

Kamui

First Post

I guess I'll go with Sigil Carver, then. I'm just mainly building to level 30, so I could have this build in the back of my pocket if I were to join a game later. I know Intelligent Blademaster is strictly better, but in the places I tend to game, a free Melee Training feat is given out, so I just put that down as a free feat. I wasn't super sure if Cindersoul would be useful given that I thought my character already had a lot of immediates, but I'll switch to it for now.

What I was also wondering was, will the Rod of Corruption spread my curse fast enough?

I wasn't terribly planning on trying to optimize Voidsoul's disappearing thing, but I thought it might've been useful as a trick once in a while. And I also made the changes from Vestige/Infernal to Infernal/Sorcerer-King (I presume this'll let me still keep the Infernal Pact riders). I've already got Mark of Warding, so I can't take Mark of Storm, but I did switch to Eldritch Strike to go along with Sigil Carver.

I know that Minor Action economy is going to be a bit of a hassle to manage; should I maybe take some other utilities instead? Also, I guess once I have the Golden Lion, I should probably drop Bloodied Boon, right?

[sblock]
====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Kent, level 30
Genasi, Swordmage|Warlock, Sigil Carver, Sage of Ages
Eldritch Strike: Eldritch Strike Constitution
Eldritch Pact (Hybrid): Infernal Pact (Hybrid)
Twofold Pact: Sorcerer-King Pact
White Lotus Dueling Expertise: Choose Implement Proficiency: White Lotus Dueling Expertise (Orb)
Elemental Manifestation: Cindersoul

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 13, Con 26, Dex 10, Int 26, Wis 15, Cha 12.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 11, Con 16, Dex 8, Int 16, Wis 13, Cha 10.

AC: 46 Fort: 43 Reflex: 46 Will: 44

TRAINED SKILLS
Religion +37, History +39, Arcana +52, Endurance +30

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +15, Bluff +22, Diplomacy +16, Dungeoneering +23, Heal +17, Insight +17, Intimidate +22, Nature +25, Perception +17, Stealth +15, Streetwise +16, Thievery +15, Athletics +16

FEATS
Level 2: Improved Initiative (retrained to Superior Initiative at Level 23)
Level 6: Bloodied Boon (retrained to Arcane Familiar at Level 16)
Level 10: Sacrifice to Caiphon (retrained to Protective Hex at Level 11)
Level 14: Double Aegis (retrained to Total Aegis at Level 22)
Level 16: Yellow Cloak of Urik
Level 18: Golden Lion of Urik
Level 20: Psychic Lock
Level 22: Warding Curse
Level 24: Rapid Aegis Reaction
Level 26: Battle Awareness
Feat User Choice: White Lotus Dueling Expertise

POWERS
Hybrid at-will 1: Eldritch Strike
Hybrid daily 1: Dimensional Thunder
Hybrid utility 2: Shadow Blend
Hybrid daily 5: Tyrannical Threat
Hybrid utility 6: Armathor's Step
Hybrid daily 9: Swordmage Shielding Fire
Hybrid daily 15: Tendrils of Thuban (replaces Dimensional Thunder)
Hybrid daily 19: Voice of the Dictator (replaces Tyrannical Threat)
Hybrid utility 22: Aegis of Lost Souls
Hybrid daily 25: Word of the Sorcerer-King (replaces Tendrils of Thuban)
Hybrid encounter 27: Price of Defiance (replaces Soul Flaying)
Hybrid daily 29: Astral Thunder Blade (replaces Swordmage Shielding Fire)

ITEMS
Rhythm Blade Wrist Razors +1, Starleather Armor of Dark Majesty +6, Cloak of Translocation +2, Ring of Free Time (epic tier), Githyanki Silver Longsword +6, Boots of Teleportation (epic tier), Iron of Spite (epic tier), Rod of Corruption +1, Baldric of Shielding (paragon tier), Avandra's Ring (epic tier), Pelor's Scepter +6, Enshrouding Candle (heroic tier), Zehir's Gloves (epic tier), Vecna's Puzzle Box (epic tier), Eager Hero's Tattoo (epic tier)
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======
[/sblock]

I see the Arcane Familiar feat. Is that to do some item juggling via one of the familiars that facilitates such?

I'd be using the Rakshasa Claw to draw and stow my Rod of Corruption for free on my term (so that I'd still have my Swordmage Warding off-turn) but I also need the +2 Arcana for Sage of Ages's Trick of Knowledge.

Edit: Made some changes to the build.

Last edited:

MwaO

Adventurer
I'd note that if you're tossing out effects like crazy and you have an Arcane Familiar, +1 Aversion Staff gives a +2 item bonus to all defenses to anyone you care about and a +1 Dagger of Shielding gives a +1 AC bonus. Which is the equivalent of the benefit of Hybrid Talent with better defenses

i.e. you can swap Hybrid Talent for say Arcane Initiate and because you're a hybrid, train in something other than Arcana and pick up a skill for free. And that then opens up Warlock for picking up say Shadow Walk with the Hybrid Talent feat.

I'd also note one of the strongest moves for Swordmage is to mark one opponent and then move up to another opponent and use Booming Blade on them. It takes advantage of the great Swordmage Immediates that you have. I'd definitely look to take Reserve Maneuver at some point to pick up one of the two powers by replacing your Paragon Path encounter with it...

piscodemon

First Post
I guess I'll go with Sigil Carver, then. I'm just mainly building to level 30, so I could have this build in the back of my pocket if I were to join a game later. I know Intelligent Blademaster is strictly better, but in the places I tend to game, a free Melee Training feat is given out, so I just put that down as a free feat. I wasn't super sure if Cindersoul would be useful given that I thought my character already had a lot of immediates, but I'll switch to it for now.

What I was also wondering was, will the Rod of Corruption spread my curse fast enough?

Spreading your curse via rod of Corruption doesn't require much finesse. Pick a target that's within 5 of two or more other targets, and then try to either kill, or (assuming bloodied boon) bloody your target on the same turn you curse it.

I wasn't terribly planning on trying to optimize Voidsoul's disappearing thing, but I thought it might've been useful as a trick once in a while. And I also made the changes from Vestige/Infernal to Infernal/Sorcerer-King (I presume this'll let me still keep the Infernal Pact riders). I've already got Mark of Warding, so I can't take Mark of Storm, but I did switch to Eldritch Strike to go along with Sigil Carver.

I know that Minor Action economy is going to be a bit of a hassle to manage; should I maybe take some other utilities instead? Also, I guess once I have the Golden Lion, I should probably drop Bloodied Boon, right?

[sblock]
====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Kent, level 30
Genasi, Swordmage|Warlock, Sigil Carver, Sage of Ages
Eldritch Strike: Eldritch Strike Constitution
Eldritch Pact (Hybrid): Infernal Pact (Hybrid)
Twofold Pact: Sorcerer-King Pact
White Lotus Dueling Expertise: Choose Implement Proficiency: White Lotus Dueling Expertise (Orb)
Elemental Manifestation: Cindersoul

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 13, Con 26, Dex 10, Int 26, Wis 15, Cha 12.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 11, Con 16, Dex 8, Int 16, Wis 13, Cha 10.

AC: 46 Fort: 43 Reflex: 46 Will: 44

TRAINED SKILLS
Religion +37, History +39, Arcana +52, Endurance +30

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +15, Bluff +22, Diplomacy +16, Dungeoneering +23, Heal +17, Insight +17, Intimidate +22, Nature +25, Perception +17, Stealth +15, Streetwise +16, Thievery +15, Athletics +16

FEATS
Level 2: Improved Initiative (retrained to Superior Initiative at Level 23)
Level 6: Bloodied Boon (retrained to Arcane Familiar at Level 16)
Level 10: Sacrifice to Caiphon (retrained to Protective Hex at Level 11)
Level 14: Double Aegis (retrained to Total Aegis at Level 22)
Level 16: Yellow Cloak of Urik
Level 18: Golden Lion of Urik
Level 20: Psychic Lock
Level 22: Warding Curse
Level 24: Rapid Aegis Reaction
Level 26: Battle Awareness
Feat User Choice: White Lotus Dueling Expertise

POWERS
Hybrid at-will 1: Eldritch Strike
Hybrid daily 1: Dimensional Thunder
Hybrid utility 2: Shadow Blend
Hybrid daily 5: Tyrannical Threat
Hybrid utility 6: Armathor's Step
Hybrid daily 9: Swordmage Shielding Fire
Hybrid daily 15: Tendrils of Thuban (replaces Dimensional Thunder)
Hybrid daily 19: Voice of the Dictator (replaces Tyrannical Threat)
Hybrid utility 22: Aegis of Lost Souls
Hybrid daily 25: Word of the Sorcerer-King (replaces Tendrils of Thuban)
Hybrid encounter 27: Price of Defiance (replaces Soul Flaying)
Hybrid daily 29: Astral Thunder Blade (replaces Swordmage Shielding Fire)

ITEMS
Rhythm Blade Wrist Razors +1, Starleather Armor of Dark Majesty +6, Cloak of Translocation +2, Ring of Free Time (epic tier), Githyanki Silver Longsword +6, Boots of Teleportation (epic tier), Iron of Spite (epic tier), Rod of Corruption +1, Baldric of Shielding (paragon tier), Avandra's Ring (epic tier), Pelor's Scepter +6, Enshrouding Candle (heroic tier), Zehir's Gloves (epic tier), Vecna's Puzzle Box (epic tier), Eager Hero's Tattoo (epic tier)
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======
[/sblock]

I'd be using the Rakshasa Claw to draw and stow my Rod of Corruption for free on my term (so that I'd still have my Swordmage Warding off-turn) but I also need the +2 Arcana for Sage of Ages's Trick of Knowledge.

Edit: Made some changes to the build.

I don't know how feat starved you are, but I'd recommend keeping bloodied boon, if only because it it helps get rod of corruption going faster and because some times you're gonna want your fell might a lot quicker than killing something. Like Mwao said, definitely look into reserve maneuver for ditching your level 11 power. Personally, I prefer dimensional vortex over transposing lunge, but they're both golden, Kamui.

Remove ads