• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help me price: Mark of the Deva

Astalanya

First Post
Mark of the Deva:
These vestments are woven from fine cloth and embroidered with silver or sapphire sigils. They are designed to be worn by a humanoid creature with wings. When the wearer dons the vestments, they increase her base fly speed by 30 feet. Her wings, if feathered, take on a distinctive azure cast. Any other type of wings are patterned as the vestments are.

Faint transmutation; CL 5th; Craft Wondrous Item, fly; Price: ??; Weight 1 lb.

I'm thinking the price should be somewhere between 2000 - 3000 gp, but I'm just not sure. Thoughts? This item is essentially for a few character races that can fly, and it merely improves their overall fly speed.

Comparison:
* Horseshoes of Speed: 3,000 GP (CL 3, use haste); +30' to land speed for four.
* Boots of Striding and Springing: 5,500 GP (CL 3, use longstrider); +10' to land speed, +5 to Jump checks. [2,500 gp for +5, so 2000gp for speed and then x1.5 for being stacked on the same item?]

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
I think the Horseshoes of Speed have been heavily discounted, since it will benefit a character's mount, but not the character directly. If you were making horseshoes that would increase the speed of a pegasus, then you could use them as a baseline. For a character, use Boots of Striding and Springing.

Your breakdown of the cost of the Boots is plausible. 2000 gp for +10 ft. would mean 18000 gp for 30 ft. (quadratic progression). That's assuming a fly speed is as useful as ground speed, if not more useful. If you have built in limitations (i.e. average maneuverability only, and count as 1 size category larger when wings are extended) then it could be less. Maybe half that?

But 3000 gp is too cheap. It should cost significantly more than the Boots.

Astalanya

First Post
Cheiromancer said:
Your breakdown of the cost of the Boots is plausible. 2000 gp for +10 ft. would mean 18000 gp for 30 ft. (quadratic progression). That's assuming a fly speed is as useful as ground speed, if not more useful. If you have built in limitations (i.e. average maneuverability only, and count as 1 size category larger when wings are extended) then it could be less. Maybe half that?

Yes, there are built in limitations for all flying creatures. Average maneuverability is the best maneuverability any of the standard flying races can achieve, so they're not getting any faster. Size category is also applicable.

Remove ads