• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help me reward a powergamer!

Oryan77

Adventurer
So I have a powergamer in my group and I'm having a hard time giving him magical treasure that would make him happy to have, not improve him in any areas that he already excels at, not improve him in any areas he's weak in, & won't be more than around 8k gold.

He's a Half-Orc 7th lvl Cleric.

I tried giving him new armor that was 1 point weaker in AC than his current armor but had the slick property. I thought he might like it for the flavor of having an odd type of armor...but this is a powergamer I'm talking about and I shoulda known better :p

Any ideas on magical items I could give him that won't just simply make him more powerful in combat? I'm thinking more like utility spells. I'd even like to give him some type of helmet but I can't find anything cheap enough. The item can be from any source, even custom made.

arwink

Clockwork Golem
If he's optimized for hand to hand rather than ranged combat, try a Minor circlet of blasting. It gives him an interesting trick to play in those times when archery is the only option.

shilsen

Adventurer
Invent an item which lets him cast a few utility spells a day, preferably ones that have interesting effects but which he isn't at all likely to prepare.

Oryan77 said:
I tried giving him new armor that was 1 point weaker in AC than his current armor but had the slick property. I thought he might like it for the flavor of having an odd type of armor...but this is a powergamer I'm talking about and I shoulda known better :p

Well, I'm not a huge powergamer, and even I would have turned that down.

"Let's see, I can make myself easier to hit the vast, vast majority of the time, in exchange for a +5 bonus to skill I'll never a) attempt or b) succeed at even if I tried? No thanks!"

Let's see ... 7th-level Half-Orc Cleric ... What god / domains / personality?

Felix

Explorer
It's 9000 gp, but a 3rd level pearl of power will come in handy for any caster.

Alternatively, give him a strand of pearls, 3 1st level pearls and 1 2nd level pearl. That's 7000gp, and will allow him to use his Spontaneous Cures without really losing the spells that he burns.

Those pearls are something I always try to get my hands on when I'm playing a caster.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads