Help me thwart my DM and save our life! Wand usage...

Tsyr

Explorer
GMVictory said:
Your DM has created a hammer to beat your group. Is the npc showing up and wasting PCs willy-nilly or is he threatening you with the chain gun to get your group to do what he wants?

Not exactly either... The NPC is sorta the "fence" for the game. Whenever we start doing something he wasn't anticipating, and can't figure out a better way to deal with, the NPC shows up. Unfortunatly, his idea of "expected response" to many things is NOT the same as ours.

GMVictory said:
If his grasp of the rules aren't that good is he the only one with a rulebook?

Oh no. We all have books. I even DM. The problem is I couldn't actualy find a rule that actualy hard-and-fast shot down his gimmick... I found it via help here, in the form of the "talking is always a free action" bit.

I get what you're saying GMVictory, but it sounds like there aren't a lot of options. Maybe that's just in the presentation of the story, but if they have no arcane casters and no access to magic items, then I don't see how you stop an uber wizard with that "ability."

Run is good, but I'd assume the uber NPC Wizard has flight. Even if you scatter, someone dies.

How do the encounters happen? Do you have to fight this guy? Or did the party choose to attack and now the GM is just punishing you? Why is this wizard so intent at popping up and wasting party members? Sure, there is a clear rules screw up (why not link lots of different wands with the same command word so you can get off shield, haste mage armor on yourself, or cast multiple fireballs at the same location with one command word) - but what is the in game reason for this abuse?

Tsyr

Explorer
Re: Re: Help me thwart my DM and save our life! Wand usage...

kreynolds said:

How many missiles were launched per activation and what level is your party?

Each wand is a wand of magic missle as if cast at 12th level, I believe, is what we figured. I'd have to ask our group number-cruncher again, though.

The party varies from as low as a 6th level all the way up to a 10th level.

6th level human rogue3/fighter3
6th level half-elven ranger
7th level cleric of a war god
8th level fighter6/barbarian2
9th level shaman8/demon channeler1
10th level warrior
10th level rogue

kreynolds

First Post
Tsyr said:
Whenever we start doing something he wasn't anticipating, and can't figure out a better way to deal with, the NPC shows up.

Whu....
eek-yellow.gif
....send an NPC to....
eek-yellow.gif
....railroad the players into....
dubious-yellow.gif

Wierd.

kreynolds

First Post
Re: Re: Re: Help me thwart my DM and save our life! Wand usage...

Tsyr said:
Each wand is a wand of magic missle as if cast at 12th level, I believe, is what we figured.

Well, there's no point in going above caster level 9 for MM, since the missile count caps at 5 anyway, but that's ok.

So, ten wands with 5 missiles each. Let's see....

...that's 50d4+50. That's a minimum of 100 points of damage and a maximum of 250 points of damage. <COUGH> epic level <COUGH>

Holy <bleep!> that's totally <bleep!> rediculous...not to mention terribly lame and a completely unimaginative way to try and keep you guys on track. See there's this thing that players have. It's called free will, and there's nothing wrong with it.

Tsyr said:
The party varies from as low as a 6th level all the way up to a 10th level.

6th level human rogue3/fighter3
6th level half-elven ranger
7th level cleric of a war god
8th level fighter6/barbarian2
9th level shaman8/demon channeler1
10th level warrior
10th level rogue

So your average party level is 8th. Damn. Get this guy on the boards. I just have to hear his reasoning on this bag of fun.

Last edited:

Spatzimaus

First Post
Railroading sucks. There's really no way to sugar-coat this; if the DM can't handle the players choosing a different path than intended, he's just not any good. Using an all-powerful NPC to prod the characters into line is even worse. It begs the question, why are the players even there? After all, if the characters are going to do the same thing no matter what, the DM could play by himself...

I played in a one-shot campaign once, with a DM I knew. He gave us pre-generated level 1 characters (under the circumstances, not that bad of a thing). As part of the backstory, my character had had repeated dreams of falling off a cliff, so one of the spells he had learned was Feather Fall.
So, guess what happened? Yep, he had me fall off a cliff. Didn't matter what I rolled, didn't matter that I said I was staying far back from the edge, somehow he'd find a way that I'd go over the edge, because he needed me to find the secret cave in the side of the mountain.

Anyway, to the original topic: activating a command-word item requires a focusing of will, like these guys said. Activating 6 wands requires six separate actions. Otherwise, if I had 9 wands in my backpack and one in hand, they'd all go off when I triggered.

Re: Re: Help me thwart my DM and save our life! Wand usage...

Destil said:
DMG 175
(underline mine)

That's the best I think you can do, as far as rules go. Clearly your DM is just making a stupid rule so he can kill anyone whenever he wants. I suggest liberal application of broaches of shielding, and the affore mentioned 5xcure light wounds wands for your party.
With out knowing more of the details I think it is a bit quick to call it a stupid rule or to decide why the Dm is doing it.
Ken

kreynolds

First Post
Re: Re: Re: Help me thwart my DM and save our life! Wand usage...

Joseph Elric Smith said:
With out knowing more of the details I think it is a bit quick to call it a stupid rule or to decide why the Dm is doing it.

The Magic Missile Chain Gun is clearly an epic level magic item, and its being used against an 8th level party. There is absolutely no disputing that. If the appearance of the MMCG was simply for show, such as merely to impress them or as a smaller part of a giant battle with a big "boom", then no big deal, but that's not how it appeared to be used. Looks like the DM is "pushing" his players in the direction he wants, and he's doing it at gun point.

Anyone can get what they want with a gun. That doesn't take any brains or skill.

Remove ads