• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help me understand M&M2ed 'Dynamic Alternate Power' rule...

Storyteller01

First Post
Title says it all. I understand the alternate power feat, but the dynamic subsection baffles me. Call me brain dead, but I can't wrap my head around it :eek: . Anyone out there able to assist?

arwink

Clockwork Golem
Alternate powers largely mean that you can only use one of the powers at a time. So if I had Blast 10 (Alternate Power: Flight 10) I can either fire a blast or fly at any given time, but I can't actually do both. It's an either or equation - I can't mix and match the levels of the power used.

If the same power was a dynamic array, then I could choose to lower my Blast to 8 in order to use the other power in the array at 2 - So I can fire a weaker blast, but fly at a speed well below my maximum.

Storyteller01

First Post
So having a dynamic array allows you to use powers in said array at the same time, but at a significantly reduced amount (they have to share resources).

Is this correct?

DanMcS

Explorer
Yes. Also remember that it's a 1 point cost to make the base power dynamic, too (2 points for each alternate power, 1 to make them alternate and 1 to make them dynamic).

Zephier

First Post
the thing to remember is the the dynamic array isnt based on ranks its based on point cost of the specific power.. so if you have powers costing 2pp/rank and 3pp/rank and have the 3pp/rank power capped at 10 ranks you'd have 30pp to divide between the 2 powers.. not simply 10 ranks..

Storyteller01

First Post
Okay, understood then. It allows two or more dynamic powers in a single array to be used at the same time, but they have to split the point cost (not the powers Rank).

Thanks for the responses everyone!!

Remove ads