• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help me understand mounted combat

Halivar

First Post
My level 6 paladin just got himself a level 3 warhorse. Help me understand how this works. Please direct me to rules that answer these questions, if they exist. I've been looking, and it seems pretty sparse.

1) Does the horse move on my initiative? Does it take my actions to do things like move, attack, etc.?

2) Does mounted combat confer any bonuses other than those explicitly listed on the warhorse's stat-block?

3) The warhorse has pretty pitiful defenses compared to mine. Is there anything that prevents enemy monsters from simply targeting my mount until it's dead?

4) I have the Mounted Combat feat, and it appears all it does is allow the mount to share some of my skills. Are there any other powers/feats/skills that are mounted combat-centric?

5) The warhorse stat-block says in the description: "Warhorses are muscular and usually clad in protective mail barding." Does this mean that the warhorse stat-block includes barding, and therefore its potential AC is maxed out?

HenryBlatbugIII

First Post
The rules for mounted combat are on page 46 of the Dungeon Master's Guide. In short, you act on the same initiative count and use the same set of actions. There aren't any specific bonuses except for those in the Warhorse's stat block. (higher speed, more damage while charging, etc.) Notice that you only get its "more damage while charging" ability if you have the Mounted Combat feat. (as specified in the Monster Manual glossary)

If you want to increase your horse's survivability, check out the mount items on page 123 of the Adventurer's Vault.

Mengu

First Post
1) Does the horse move on my initiative? Does it take my actions to do things like move, attack, etc.?

Yes and yes.

2) Does mounted combat confer any bonuses other than those explicitly listed on the warhorse's stat-block?

No.

3) The warhorse has pretty pitiful defenses compared to mine. Is there anything that prevents enemy monsters from simply targeting my mount until it's dead?

Your mark and the threat you pose as opposed to your mount should both help a bit.

4) I have the Mounted Combat feat, and it appears all it does is allow the mount to share some of my skills. Are there any other powers/feats/skills that are mounted combat-centric?

It also gives you access to special abilities the mount confirs to its rider. For instance the Warhorse has the "Charger" mount power, which gives its rider a +5 to damage rolls on charge attacks.

5) The warhorse stat-block says in the description: "Warhorses are muscular and usually clad in protective mail barding." Does this mean that the warhorse stat-block includes barding, and therefore its potential AC is maxed out?

I just have access to DDI here, and not my books. You'll have to look this one up in the table in Adventurer's Vault if you are using that book. Otherwise, the answer is yes the statblock includes barding.

Remove ads