Level Up (A5E) Help me understand the point of the Garoul gift Lupine Ascension

Do you get aspects of the Wolf statblock? It doesn't actually specify.
Even if you do, doesn't it lack scalability and become of negligible utility as soon as you're out of the very first levels?

Is it just a cosmetic transformation?
In that case, it's a strict downgrade, as you lose your equipment's benefits and your AC becomes 10+dex, but you don't gain any new abilities or benefits to speed, offence, senses etc.
Wolves aren't exactly inconspicuous to humanoids, so scouting or using the form as a disguise is only really viable in wilderness regions, where the party will likely want to stick together most of the time.

So what's the point of the gift besides lycanthrope flavour?
I'd really want it to be useful, but don't know where to start in homebrewing it, as I don't understand its current state's intention.

someguy42

Villager
Do you get aspects of the Wolf statblock? It doesn't actually specify.
Even if you do, doesn't it lack scalability and become of negligible utility as soon as you're out of the very first levels?

Is it just a cosmetic transformation?
In that case, it's a strict downgrade, as you lose your equipment's benefits and your AC becomes 10+dex, but you don't gain any new abilities or benefits to speed, offence, senses etc.
Wolves aren't exactly inconspicuous to humanoids, so scouting or using the form as a disguise is only really viable in wilderness regions, where the party will likely want to stick together most of the time.

So what's the point of the gift besides lycanthrope flavour?
I'd really want it to be useful, but don't know where to start in homebrewing it, as I don't understand its current state's intention.
Pretty sure its intended to give you the wolf stat block thats why the word wolf is highlighted to denote that its the actual monster book wolf.

This why they also specify that it does not benefit from wildshape at all.
They also specify you keep your hitpoint total, wouldn't need to specify that if you didnt take on the stat block.

Though honestly it still scales horribly.

someguy42

Villager
And as the designer, let me say that I'm fine with that. It is a utility that clever players will use well even at high level. It is not intended to be a primary attack.
Figured as much, honestly i think that more of an issue with races not having a level 5 or 6 trait. Just the gift to start and then no improvement till paragon at 10. What are your ideal utility uses as the designer? Id like to role one up one day, and definitely go lupine ascension.

Definitely my favorite gate pass heritage. Ive all ways wanted to to play a werewolf the apocalypse game with a character that prefers thier lupus form

Xethreau

Josh Gentry - Author, Minister in Training
Figured as much, honestly i think that more of an issue with races not having a level 5 or 6 trait. Just the gift to start and then no improvement till paragon at 10. What are your ideal utility uses as the designer? Id like to role one up one day, and definitely go lupine ascension.
I don't care to go into specifics because it is intentionally open-ended. A wolf can do different things than a person. If you want to look at a wolf's statblock, you can find it here: Wolf | Level Up I notice it has Pack Tactics, higher speed, keen senses, and its bite drags people prone.

As for fun things I have done with it so far:
  • chased goblins
  • ate strange food

I'm sure it's quite good for a number of other things too. However, getting into the mindset of a wolf is something you're gonna have to do on your own.

Remove ads