• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Help me write some Firey Visions

Valmarius

First Post
The story thus far:

Our Barbarian PC, named Urhn, got the killing blow against a fire myrmidon that had been crafted with the soul of an efreeti. In doing so, her mundane greataxe sprouted ignan runes and became a +1 weapon.
Now the efreeti wants to get out and is sending Urhn visions, promising her great rewards.

What I want to impart is that if she throws the axe into a volcano, the efreeti will be released and reward her.
I'd like to keep the nature of the reward, a wish, vague as there are other players in the game who would obsess over the wording etc.

Here are the tl:dr of the dreams I have used so far:

• Trapped inside an iron coffin, she breaks free and appears with her people, whole and healthy.
  • Standing atop a volcano, she dives in and finds the heat turn into pleasant cool water.
  • Wearing manacles covered in other people’s blood, she breaks free and the manacles turn to gold.
  • The axe lies atop bare earth that begins to bubble and become molten. As it does so, the axe turns to gold.

Any ideas for more visions I can send her way?
It would be great if I had a new one for each time she sleeps.

Chaosmancer

Legend
Reading through your roughs, I don't think a player is going to figure out that throwing the axe into a volcano is what you want. I'm also uncertain if you want this to be a good idea for the player or a bad one.

So, to clear up confusion for the Barbarian, make a volcano appear in each vision, especially the early ones. Maybe the scene takes place on a volcano, maybe there is one in the background. Then with later ones you can get more subtle, but since they've been seeing volcanoes then they may be able to piece together the new symbols and see the same patterns.

Maybe have a vision of them throwing the axe into the volcano or a fire and then themselves being clad in golden armor, with a crown upon their head.

Maybe have them leading an army down the slopes of a fiery mountain, on the way towards some goal, an axe made of molten metal in their hands.

Show them on a volcano, and the smoke and ash turns into a lost loved one, or they find a cave filled to the brim with gold and treasure.

Edit: And don't be afraid to begin repeating aspects of the visions or even entire visions as time goes on. Once they start repeating the player may suddenly make the connection something intelligent is trying to communicate.

Oh, also pay attention the what the player or character is saying. If they express a desire for some item or person, have them show up in a vision as theirs, hinting that this intelligence wants to help them achieve their desires

Remove ads