• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help my find just the right game

GuardianLurker

Adventurer
In an effort to give you other options that just "Savage Worlds" (which is a very good choice)...

At the Rules Light end of things, I'd recommend Numenera. It's so simple that you can (as the GM) run it on an almost improv level. It's ... post-post-post-...-post-apocalyptic clarkeian-tech fantasy. (Cross Niven's Ringworld, the Defiance TV show, and a couple of societal Singularities - that's the setting.)

In the rules medium end, I'd really recommend FATE. The general system is generic, and can support any genre. And while it has "narrative" mechanics (aspects, tags) they're mechanical enough that your combat bunnies can grasp their use. (IOW, it isn't a pure narrative game like Dogs in the Vineyard.) I'd also look into one of the early FATE variants - Diaspora. It is sci-fi and the character and world creation rules are absolutely fantastic, and can easily/trivially be adapted for use in other systems.

Another good one would be 7th Sea; quick crunch, certainly not simulationist. It's set in an anchronistic mish-mash of Late Renaissance to Early Enlightment Europe, and while it does have magic, I never felt like it was a "fantasy" setting. It's fun.

Last edited:

Remove ads