• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help my newbie with his Warlock/Monk.

Shellman

First Post
There are several new invocations out there in Dragon Magic and Compete mage that address several issues.

Penetrating Blast (Dragon Magic) gives a +4 on CL checks made to penetrate a targets SR. Target must then make a will save or have its SR reduced by 5 for 1 min.

Deteriorating Blast (Dragon Magic) target must make a fort save or have all of its DR reduceed by 5 for 1 min.

there are seveal more in both books, just gotta look through and see what you prefer.

1500run

First Post
i've seen some dumb, dumb things both on these boards and on our group website the last few days that make me wonder if i was wrong to waste my hard-earned cash on a PHB, because few people seem to have read it cover-to-cover. and so, this thread begs the question:

does your buddy-the-PC realize that he cannot ever take another level in monk once he takes one in any other class (excepting PrCs that allow it)? he knows, i hope, that when he does char gen, that he has to create a monk5, and then add 5 levels of warlock to it, yes?

having seen char sheet after char sheet of people flat-out ignoring the rules, i'd check a few things -- starting with his skill points -- a few times. bring a calculator.

but more power to any newbie out there who actually gens a char correctly. hope yours is one of them.

Krafen

First Post
Eldritch Glaive is a nice invocation that lets you use your Eldritch Blast damage as a melee touch attack with reach and multiple attacks (with a high enough BAB). I believe it is in Dragon Magic. I suggest this instead of Hideous Blow.

Forget the ring of jumping, take the Fell Flight invocation.

All Warlocks benefit from a Chasuble of Fell Power.

Using a feat for Extra Invocation: See the Unseen would be a good choice.

How is his UMD skill? A couple of wands would be handy. Shield, Divine Favor, Glitterdust, Silence, Lesser Vigor for example.

I'm not sure if Power Attack should work with Eldritch Glaive, but if you allow it to, it would be a nice combo with a melee touch reach attack. Of course, he would want Cleave to go with it.

I imagine he has a good Concentration check, if so, a Ring of Diamond Mind is nice for the save maneuvers.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
1500run said:
does your buddy-the-PC realize that he cannot ever take another level in monk once he takes one in any other class (excepting PrCs that allow it)? he knows, i hope, that when he does char gen, that he has to create a monk5, and then add 5 levels of warlock to it, yes?

Unless, of course, you have a house-rule that allows monks to multiclass however they feel like as long as they maintain their alignment restrictions. Since the paladin and monk multi-class restrictions were initially added for flavor, not for balance, there's no harm done if you ignore this silly rule for your campaign -- at least for the core classes. (I can't speak to how Prestige Classes might depend on the monk not being allowed to multiclass as it's never come up in my campaigns, but I've yet to see a problem with allowing the monk to multiclass in my campaigns).

1500run

First Post
Jer said:
Unless, of course, you have a house-rule that allows monks to multiclass however they feel like as long as they maintain their alignment restrictions. Since the paladin and monk multi-class restrictions were initially added for flavor, not for balance, there's no harm done if you ignore this silly rule for your campaign -- at least for the core classes. (I can't speak to how Prestige Classes might depend on the monk not being allowed to multiclass as it's never come up in my campaigns, but I've yet to see a problem with allowing the monk to multiclass in my campaigns).

don't allow it. no, i'm serious, don't.

Nyeshet

First Post
If I recall correctly those feats in Complete Adventurer - Ascetic this and that - not only count both classes levels in total for determining the development of things like unarmed strike damage and sneak attack (or smite attack, etc), but they also allow one to freely multiclass between the two classes. So just create an equivalent Warlock / Monk feat for the player to take.

Hmm, should their blast count both monk and warlock levels, or should their number and level of invocations known / usable count both monk and warlock levels for the purpose of the feat? The monk, if I recall correctly, had his unarmed damage (and sometimes either AC, speed, or stunning fist DC) increase as if his monk level were the total combination of monk and ______ (determined by feat) levels.

[Edit]

Here is, in short, Ascetic Mage from the CAdv:
Ascetic Mage

Pre-req: Impr Unarmed Strike, ability to spontaneously cast 2nd level spells.

Benefits: Levels in Sor and Monk stack for determining AC bonus, and the AC bonus can use Charisma instead of Wisdom. You may multiclass freely between Monk and Sorcerer, although you must still remain Lawful in order to continue advancing as a Monk.

Also, you can sacrifice one of your daily allotment of spells to add a bonus to your unarmed strike attack rolls and damage rolls for 1 round that is equal to the level of the spell slot used.
So, it seems that you gain the AC bonus as if both levels stacked, and you could multiclass freely between the two, and you gain an extra bonus in which a spell slot could be used to increase the power of the attack and damage of the unarmed strike.

Of course, the warlock is a different can of worms from the sorcerer. The sorcerer losing a spell slot is significant, but a warlock has no slots to use / lose. Also, a warlock focuses on attacking from afar, so allowing the foe close enough for unarmed combat could be dangerous. Perhaps the warlock gains a bonus invocation (does not count against the allotment he is allowed to learn / know) that allows him to place the monk's stunning fist attack into one of his eldritch blasts. Also, protection will need to be high, so perhaps both class levels count towards not only the AC bonus, but also the warlock's DR and fiendish resilience.

So we end up with :

Ascetic Warlock

Pre-req: Improved Unarmed Strike, Monk's (or wisdom based) AC bonus, and Eldritch Blast +3d6.

Benefits: Your levels as a monk and warlock stack for the purpose of determining your AC bonus - which can utilize Cha should you wish it. They also stack for the purpose of determining the DC of any warlock invocations used, as well as the Warlock's DR and Resilience. Lastly, you gain a bonus lesser invocation that allows you to place the monk's stunning attack into your eldritch blasts.

Note: You may freely multiclass between these two classes, but you must remain Lawful to continue advancing as a Monk and Evil (or Chaotic, although it is not much recommended) to advance as a Warlock.

This might seem a bit strong, but compared to some of the other ascetic feats it should fit in well. Warlock Fiendish Resilience is not gained until level 8 and only increases at levels 13 and 20.The DR is gained at 3rd level and so is already had at the time the feat is taken. It increases at warlock levels 7, 11, 15, and 19. I would suggest, incidentally, that the DR be changed from Cold Iron to Alchemical Silver when this feat is taken, to reflect the lawful nature of the character. The protection of the AC bonus, DR, and Resilience will be needed for the character to remain alive. (Recall, this feat does not increase their number of invocations known, their eldritch blast damage, etc, nor does it grant the various bonuses the monk gains. As such, the character will be having trouble keeping up even with the benefits gained from this feat unless they are only dipping into one class or the other - and the feat requires at least 5 levels of warlock.)

Last edited:

brehobit

Explorer
I think the warlock/monk/enlightened fist build is pretty cool. Throw in the fey feats from the complete mage and I think you will have a very good fighter type. The Eldritch Glaive power may be a bit too much (I don't have dragon magic), but it would be very handy.

I think you'd need to work out some of the higher-level abilities in enlightened fist. Arcane rejuvenation in particular needs some help, but hold ray might too. I'd suggest that you remove arcane rejuvenation and hold ray and replace them with the warlock "fiendish resilience" at levels 5 (fast heal 1) 7 (fast heal 2) and 10 (fast heal 5).

In any case, I'd strongly recommend the fey feats for a warlock/monk. He's going to need the DR...

Mark

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads