• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help my Priest! Touch Attacks

Twichyboy

First Post
Hello everyone, i've recently started a new game and rolled up a Priest, a third party class, i have the lowest base attack bonus, and a dexterity of only 11.

So one problem i foresee, especially at the low levels i'm at, is hitting my ranged touch attacks, and my touch attacks, so i'm currently brainstorming methods of increasing my to-hit chance with these attacks, weather it be by magic items, or by feats and such

so far i've only thought of making an item that allows me true strike 3x a day, but since activating magic items are standard actions, i'm not sure it would be worth it,

Is there any clever way to increase my chances to hit with these attacks?

Tovec

Explorer
Where can we find more information on the priest? You say it is a 3rd party product, can you either tell us where, give us a link or post the applicable information on the class to give us somewhere to start.

Otherwise, on first blush, my best suggestion is to look at 3.5/PF builds for wizard and cleric, as both will have suggestions on how to hit more effectively with varying attack types; including touch attack.

Nebten

First Post
Besides casting Bless, Cat's Grace, Divine Power, etc?

You do realize that touch AC's are lower then normal ACs. You don't need to start whipping out +20 to hit magic items to hit things (that your DM most likely won't allow). having +0 to hit isn't that big of a deal when the touch AC is around 12 or 13 at low levels.

You don't need to win the game all at once.

Twichyboy

First Post
Where can we find more information on the priest? You say it is a 3rd party product, can you either tell us where, give us a link or post the applicable information on the class to give us somewhere to start.

Otherwise, on first blush, my best suggestion is to look at 3.5/PF builds for wizard and cleric, as both will have suggestions on how to hit more effectively with varying attack types; including touch attack.

Oops sorry bout that Priest - Pathfinder_OGC heres the priest class

And i'm not a power gamer, and i wouldn't even consider making an item that gave me true shot forever, as i'm pretty sure that's not allowed anyways. i said i was considering making an item that would allow me to cast it three times a day, which as i said anyway, is probably not worth it.

And yes i know its only a touch attack, and they are not allowed their armors bonus to AC, but with my low base attack progression, if i did nothing about it, I would have a less than 50% chance to hit with one of these spells on average, not counting feats, like the one that allows you to add shields bonus to touch attacks, or allows you to deflect touch attacks

With most of our games focusing on combat, rather then skills (not by my choice) i'm only trying to increase my usefulness, and most "offensive" early game divine spells require a touch attack

Tovec

Explorer
Okay, now we have somewhere to start. You are effectively playing a divine casting wizard. So (after a quick search) I have compiled a few useful tricks to pick up in order to increase your options / ranged touch attack.

A. Cat's Grace to increase your DEX, thereby increasing ranged touch attack. Its a straight +2 for you and works so long as your armor can afford it. With having very basic (light) armor, it is a natural first choice. Also anything that increases your DEX (like bracers of dexterity, or [as this is pathfinder] belt of dex :p) would be a good choice instead, as it is permanent and needs not be casted.

B. Next suggestion is to debuff them before attacking. If you can effectively reduce their AC or ability to dodge you then you are already part way home. Web for example will have the inverse effect as cat's grace. It will cause the target to have a -4 dex, (-2 to AC).

C. Don't use ranged touch spells. This is a big one. Unless you are set on just using ranged touch there are countless environmental spells you can use to disable the enemy or buff the party. Hell haste and slow are two prime examples.

D. This works in conjunction with C, but use spells that affect their saves as opposed to ones where you have to roll. Remember that most characters are going to have AT LEAST one bad save. For fighters don't use fort based attacks and you are golden, for rogues avoid anything they can evasion (or improve evasion) through.

E. As you are already playing a less than core character, see if your DM is up to you playing a MORE out of the box character, by way of variant rules and prestige classes. That gives you a boat load more material to work with beyond your starting Priest class.

Hope this helps.

N'raac

First Post
Weapon Focus: Ray is legit, isn't it? Point Blank Shot applies to Ranged Touch and is the entry feat for a lot of other options.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
From a quick read, it looks like he's playing the equivalent of the Cloistered Cleric variant from 3.5 all Pathfinder'd up.

To that end, the OP has taken a class which, in the very flavour text, says "is a divine caster that focuses on knowledge rather than martial combat ability. Unlike the cleric, the priest is usually not found on the front lines, preferring to advise from a distance while healing wounds and asking for divine assistance."

Dex of 11 is unfortunate and probably should have been your highest or second highest score. In fact, if your DM allows, I would switch that ASAP and immediately take Weapon Finesse to make you decent in melee. With a +3 or +4 to hit with ranged, your issue with hitting with ranged touch attacks is moot. Any chance you rolled an Elf?

Weapon Focus (Ray) is valid, but chances are you won't be using it too much. Your best bet, as mentioned above, is to pick spells that don't require attack rolls, or buffs.

Also, remember, ranged touch attacks ignore armor (including natural armor) and shield, so it's a safe bet most low-level monsters only need to be hit on a 10-12. Those are good odds for a support character. ;)

Personally, I love Cloistered Clerics and generally haven't played any other kind of Cleric since my discovery of it.

Squire James

First Post
Like Alchemists and Monks, Priests are limited in armor selection so they should have a better Dexterity. Besides the whole touch spell problem, your AC is not going to be good. This is beyond not optimizing... this is Fighter-with-11-Con territory!

If it's too late to do anything about your Dexterity, then consider not taking any spells that require a touch attack at all. Take spells to support your allies and area spells based on saving throws rather than touch attacks. Don't try to fix your major weakness... try to avoid it!

Remove ads