• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help needed.

Ok, so i've decided to try my hand at AD&D 2nd Edition, or at least i'm assuming it's second edition. I've read through the player's handbook and am finding myself somewhat confused, i believe due to starting with forth edition then moving to 3.5 and then to an older edition. I will put a like to a pic of the cover just to make certain i am correct in assuming this is 2nd Edition. And the help i'm requesting is in understanding the character sheet that i've been attempting to use and how to make a character.

Book Cover: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...090928!AD&D_2nd_Edition_Player's_Handbook.jpg

Character sheet: http://www.adnddownloads.com/zips/playersheet12.zip

Any and all help will be appreciated.

Tharkon

First Post
I have no experience in any version other than 3.0 and 3.5 but maybe you can check the date it was printed on the inside of the cover.
I would guess they wouldn't print any AD&D1 PHB's after the release of AD&D2.

AD&D2 was started development in 1987 and released in 1989.
So any date past 1989 would most likely confirm it's 2nd edition.

For detail on game statistics, I know that AD&D2 used THAC0, while AD&D1 didn't. AD&D2 also featured distances to scale, so in feet instead of in inches.

I have found that it is 2nd Edition. I have been quite dizzy with getting stuff done these last few days. Preparing a 3.5 campaign and a Pathfinder campaign. Making NPC's for both. Trying to figure out 2nd Edition. Explaining THAC0 to my gaming group. only sleeping from 3 4 4 am to 7 or 8 am. Job hunting. IT's just a pain to try and get it all figured out without help. Most of my group is either too busy working to help or busy playing 'Minecraft'

Yep - that's 2nd Edition. Specifically, I think it's the revised printing of 2nd Edition that came out right at the end of TSR's lifespan; the opening page says, IIRC, "This is not 3rd Edition!"

So, any specific questions?

timbannock

Hero
Supporter
Yep - that's 2nd Edition. Specifically, I think it's the revised printing of 2nd Edition that came out right at the end of TSR's lifespan; the opening page says, IIRC, "This is not 3rd Edition!"

So, any specific questions?

Yep, definitely 2nd edition. The final revision before 3e dropped in 2000.

Honestly...why are you going backwards? If the reasoning is vague, consider not bothering to do so, because frankly, it sounds like you've got a LOT on your plate right now with fantasy RPGs, so sticking with one or two sounds ideal for you.

Assuming you don't walk away from 2nd edition, however, here's some tips from my crazy-long 2e campaign...one of the few, I must say, that ever went from start to finish (took about a year or two).

- A lot of the rules are denoted as optional, especially in that specific book you have (2e revised), as well as the DMG. You should endeavor to keep it that; i.e., cut the chaff from the wheat, and ignore a lot of the optional stuff.

- 2e is really nothing but a logical refinement of 1e, but it also misses the boat on a couple things. It's got a lot of disparate systems (something 3e and later systems fixed big time), and save or die is all over the place (though maybe slightly less so than 3e). The point is, anything that applies to 1e probably CAN apply to 2e, if you wish it to be so.

- Wing it. Depending on how many supplements you add on, you'll quickly realize that the authors of many of these were just winging it, so you might as well do the same. Keep the game fast and fun, and don't worry about the rules too much.

- Thaco's easy, but not necessarily simple for the "not-so-good-at-math" to grasp, so don't be hard on people who don't get it. This is a primary reason why I mentioned not using 2e if you don't have to: if people are used to "roll high = good," you'll OFTEN find that 2e doesn't do that, which is a pisser.

- 2e doesn't ooze the same kind of feel and mood that 1e did, nor does it have the dungeon-punk feel of 3e and up. It's just kinda "there" except in the case of a few well written supplements or setting books. If you stick with "core" 2e, it's kinda like any other fantasy game ever. It'll be up to you as the DM to really evoke the mood. But if you go with a cool setting, like Dark Sun or Planescape or Ravenloft, then you may find it easier to make the game feel original/different/moody/whatever.

I'm mainly wanting to play it because i've always wanted to try a THAC0 game. i found the Player's Handbook, Dungeon Master's Guide, and Monstrous Manual for 50 cents each and decided to get them and give it a try. I believe that if i were to see a first level character sheet that has the character premaid to use as an example i could probably understand character creation better. The main part thats screwing me up with this is when it gets into the weapon speed and such and what half the stuff on the character sheet's weapons section means and why there is 2 boxes for the strength stat. I've gotten my 3 weapon proficiencies and my broadsword specialization. My appearance and age. I havn't made it to the armor yet. And i havn't done the saving's throws section yet. He is a Neutral Good Human Fighter

Last edited:

Remove ads