• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help on a Marketplace Chase scene?

bennyhobo

First Post
Statue garden I like. That would make for a ncie open area, but with lots of stuff to duck around and behind.

The baths are a good idea too, lots of low areas full of water, and raised walkways above the surface. It could be pretty dynamic.

mgbeach

Explorer
Statue garden I like. That would make for a ncie open area, but with lots of stuff to duck around and behind.

The baths are a good idea too, lots of low areas full of water, and raised walkways above the surface. It could be pretty dynamic.

And potentially concealment with rising steam

bennyhobo

First Post
Y'know, that makes me want to plan a larger scene. Maybe the party is in the baths, and are attacked while they're off guard. So they wouldn't be wearing any of their armor, or have their weapons ready. I'll have to look into unarmed combat rules.

The Lord Warden could be so happy with their victory clearing out Kobold Hall, he could invite them into the private baths, reserved only for the wealthy citizens of the city. Maybe someone is coming in to assassinate the Lord Warden, and wasn't expecting him to have company. Or he could have set it up from the beginning to rid his town of these pesky do-gooders, before they get too high and mighty and discover his nefarious plans.

That would require a pretty big change in my plot, so maybe not right away. But I'm definitely going to keep that in reserve for later.

bennyhobo

First Post
It's been a while since I checked in. In case anyone was curious, the encounter went really well. One guy chased the pickpocket down and tackled him and got a lot of good plot info out of him. The others stayed in the tavern and killed some bad guys. We've been on a hiatus since then (schedule problems). But now we're ready to get back to the game.

Most of my players started with pre-made generic characters, and they wanted to build their own. My cleric was happy with his character, but wanted to go evil. So I'm saying that the cleric got greedy and wanted to take the dragon eyes for himself. Therefore he slaughtered the rest of the team to eliminate all knowledge and competition.

Now he's spending some of his ill-gotten money lounging in the baths, formerly a shrine to Geshtai, now converted into a money-making endeavour by a greedy businessman. There will be other patrons lounging in the baths as well (the other players with their new characters).

I'll give them some time to look at the mosaics and carvings in the old shrine. Probably some religion and history checks to learn that Geshtai is a lesser goddess, largely forgotten and ignored, who looked over springs, wells, and other small sources of water. The shrine has been built on a natural spring, and the carved head of a stone fish is set into the wall, the spring water flowing from its mouth and into the pools. Hopefully they'll do a little chatting.

Then a big beast will burst up from a large drain set in the floor at one end of the room and make a straight line for the cleric. It'll be followed by several other smaller creatures crawling up from the sewers.

There will be braizers set around the room. If one is accidently knocked into the water, plumes of steam will fill the room and decrease visibility.

The big critter (I'm thinking a big insect of some kind, any suggestions? They're level 3) will be a tough one. I'm going to try to get one of the players to say a prayer to Geshtai for help. If they do well, Geshtai will thank them for their kindness and issue a huge spray of water out of the wall and do some damage to the big beast, and hopefully wash some of the smaller ones back down the drain.

Once they make it out, they're going to run away before more creatures crawl up out of the sewer. Above the baths is the statue garden. The aforementioned greedy business man who runs the baths built this at the entrance to help class the joint up and impress his patrons. But also makes a good place for an ambush. That encounter is still in it's infancy, so I'm open to suggestions there too.

This is fun!

Remove ads