• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help! Our group needs a name.

Dr. Niles Crane

First Post
Is it a serious campaign or a lighter campaign? Is the group looking for a heroic name or something silly?

The party I'm DMing came up with "The Town Protectors" as they started out literally as their local small town protectors. Now they're just "The Protectors" as they've moved on to better and bigger things. I also introduced an NPC party called "The Wake" as sort of a weak pun on funerals/wakes, "The Ravens" named after the raven familiar of the uniting wizard, and "The Cloakshadows" (although I think I found that one on the web...apologies to whomever actually brought that up).

Sorry if that isn't too helpful (note the best at those kinds of names), but maybe it'll kick off some more thoughts. :)

billbo

First Post
In reality -- that is, in the game world-- the group would probably give itself a business name, just as Thorin & Company did in the Hobbit.

After all, they have a profit motive.

A group would probably just call itself "The X Company" or the "Y Partnership," wherein X or Y are the first place the characters all met, or the first place they adventured in, or the first major villain they defeated, etc.

Iced Tea

First Post
I think nameing you group after the first villian you beat would be a little stupid, no offense, mainly cause it woudl seem like a small challenge when you advance to higher levels. It woudl humiliate the villian and give him an excuse to come and get you if he isnt dead or not raised (suspicious music) dum dumn dum.
how about the league of extradanary oh wait thats already copyrighted. how about the X-me..no wait thats taken too.
Bearzilla nd the dandilions
well im not helpign so i submit my scooby doo and the gang again

Maraxle

First Post
If you go to this page, you can get the free version of JH NameGen and Rule Pack 2. Rule Pack 2 contains a rule set called Mercenary Companies that can generate some pretty good group names. Some examples include:

The Notorious Hands
Covenant of the Hidden Ogres
The Forgotten Kings
The Sisterhood of the Stolen Rings
The Coalition of the Steel Night
Scarred Horn Compact
The Company of the Mug
The Stolen Crown Partnership
The Way of the Benevolent Gauntlet
The Hidden Order of the Blade

ThorneMD

First Post
Taka Michinoku-- Half-elf/Half-Gold Dragon (Ftr/Wiz)
Antif Darkwood-- Half-elf/half-goblin (ranger/psychic warrior)
Rurik Ungart-- Dwarf (Ftr/Rog)
Ark -- human (Brb/Rog/Bear Warrior)
Roscoe Tealeaf -- Halfling (Rog/Clr/DeepWoodSniper)
Motubo - Mul (brb/clr)

Majoru Oakheart

Adventurer
Very well, I bestow the quest for the Golden Crown on to your group. *grin*

It was an inside joke, but one of our groups got named "The Order of the Golden Crown". This was due to the fact that we were searching for a magical artifact called "The Golden Crown". Either way, we started a new game, and somehow ended up named the same thing, although we had never heard of the Golden Crown. One of our party members kept insisting we were still looking for it, though. He said it was one of our "distant" goals. He swore it existed, despite the DM, and quite a few NPCs telling him it didn't.

Or the Order of the Griffin's Claw, which was our other common name.

Majoru Oakheart
Half-Man, Half-Elf....I'm my own worst enemy

ThorneMD

First Post
A couple of answers to questions and a little more on what the party did.

This is a serious campaign.
Yes, Taka Michinoku is the name of a professional wrestler. I gave him the last name because I just couldn't think of anything else.

After the Werewolf mystery, we saved a village from the attacks of the Goddess of Death.
We took a bounty on someones head.
Met a White Dragon and paid it for passage.
Took a year off.
Traveled to another continent and solved a mystery about a keep being attacked.
Found evidence that the home village of Ark was to be attacked and ran there, (same continent), and stopped the attack.
Helped a person from another world, who Taka helped while in an other group.
We traveled to a world inside the world. (in the core)
Got captured and left for dead.
Escaped.
Found our stuff.
Defended against an attack against the city we were in. (still in the core)
Escaped the core.

That's all for now. I'll get the rest a little later.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads