• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help please: Healing harms the undead

Terwox

First Post
I'm not sure how to handle this. Last night I had the players use lay on hands to damage a wraith. I ruled that it did a healing surge worth of damage and ignored insubstantial, and also dealt radiant damage.

Thing is, I used a healing surge from the wraith, so it did 1/4ths his hps. Not a great call, but I was trying to move the combat along -- it was more of a story device than a real fight.

Anyway, I want healing to damage the undead in my game. I am thinking that it should simply deal the character's healing surge value in Radiant, and cost a healing surge from the character to use if it does not generally cost one. (That is, for things like healing word.) This is not much damage, but healing is generally a minor action.

Any thoughts on the balance of this? It seems like a small option to give a small bit of extra damage per round against undead, at the cost of surges. I am not sure if it is balanced though, and I think it may favor the players too strongly -- shorter adventuring days are somewhat normal in my world so far.

Maximillian

First Post
I am thinking that it should simply deal the character's healing surge value in Radiant, and cost a healing surge from the character to use if it does not generally cost one.

Here's some considerations I can see:

• Radiant damage generally deals extra damage to undead, who are vulnerable to it.
  • If your leader types are spending more healing surges to damage the monsters, they will be running out faster--they don't have as many as the defenders they're normally healing. If you have something like a warlord or a battle cleric, they'll be using them between encounters, too.
  • I think the "divine energy hurts undead" concept is cool, and well founded in a lot of sources, but are you anticipating that a warlord character will be able to inspire wounds in his undead foes? That's harder for me to visualize.
  • Of course the players are taking their own lives in their hands here, but the number of healing powers a party has in a day is severely limited in 4e: moreso than the 3e cleric who can swap any spell for a bit of wound closing.
  • Would a cleric have to spend a healing surge to use a power that normally doesn't force the character to spend one? Cure Light Wounds (utility 2) for example?

Hope any of this helps.

Terwox

First Post
Ug, yeah, the way warlords heal, though I like it, should not damage the undead. (They could heal the undead normally though, I would say.)

So, I imagine I would limit it to a divine power source, as that resonates better.

Anyway, my party doesn't include a warlord. I'm just interested in a rule that will work for this party, anyway. (Paladin/cleric/fighter/ranger/wizard.)

Cure Light I would probably let off the hook as it is balanced by being a daily power, and a standard action besides that.

And yeah, I'm thinking this should not trigger the radiant vulnerability. (I let it trigger on the wraith, though.) Might make it a bit too good when things start getting larger vulnerabilities to radiant.

stamhaven

Explorer
Another thing to keep in mind is that there is normally some sort of attack roll and I think wis or cha vs reflex or will is reasonable in this case. I might bump the action to attack an undead foe with this sort of power is always a standard action and not a minor to mitigate things. You're adding offensive powers where it didn't exist before so i think some mitigating factors are in order (and surge values of players can get quite large on paragon level dwarves and dragonborn especially).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads