• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help please! Need inspiration!

Balsamic Dragon

First Post
I promised one of my players that I would finish writing up a prestige class for tonights game and I have procrastinated all week and now I have writers block!

Here's what I have:

Arcane Trapmaker - the party is going through Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil and has discovered a dwarven library with a bunch of ancient books. Through studying these books, one of the PCs is picking up this prestige class. Basically it's, um, well, a trapmaker that does, you know, arcane stuff! I have major writers block and need help!

I need a description, requirements and some cool abilities.

The class will have d6 hit points, 4 skill points per level (already picked which skills), +1 level of spellcasting each level. That means that I want about one new special ability every other level, for a total of 5-6 special abilities. Any ideas? Please? Otherwise this is getting written on the train home and will probably suck :(

Balsamic Dragon

bloodymage

House Ruler
cool ablities?

Just something off the top of my head, no particular order:

Nondetectable trap (possibly w/ degrees of nondetect)
Sprung signal to know when trap is tripped.
Scry thru your trap
Automatic reset?
Scaling lethality every time it's tripped
Speak thru trap (maybe in conjunction w/ scry?)
Portable trap
Keyed traps (portal for you, lethal for others)

Maybe try free associating off this list, you'll come up with something. Hope it helps.

Eye Tyrant

First Post
Well, right off the bat I can think of the following:

- Bonus(es) to Craft magical traps
- Bonus(es) to Search for/Spot magical traps
- Bonus(es) to Disable magical traps

You could look at these:

- Bonus(es) to Saves vs. magical traps
- Come up with some (say 4) new spells for the PrCls

Not very creative I know, but I am at work and don't have access to my books...

Furn_Darkside

First Post
Salutations,

Are you using a trap making system? From S&S, Quint Rogue, or any of the other sources?

The Quint. Rogue, iirc, has trap making rules the revolve around a "matrix" - which has magical like effects.

You may want to flip through that at your lgs and works powers around that.

Respectfully submitted
FD

Balsamic Dragon

First Post
Thanks for all of the ideas so far!

I definately will use the insight bonus. I really like the idea of scrying through traps, specifically an ability that lets you roll scry to know when one of your traps goes off. I also like the idea of being able to set your traps to only trigger when certain things pass through.

I won't have time to pick up the Quint. Rogue, but it sounds interesting. I'll try to flip through it when I get the chance.

Thanks for the ideas so far! I will check again when I get home from work and then type everything up in my normal pre-game frenzy :)

Balsamic Dragon

Remove ads