• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help Psion pick a game to run!

What game should I run at the DC gameday?

Psion

Adventurer
Hey all,

I'm looking at what to run for Gameday here.

Well I've already had a request to run Spycraft. Though I run Spycraft with my regular group twice a month, there could be those who don't get to play with their regular group.

That said, I also got Spirit of the Century a while back and am really taking a shine to it, and would like to try it out. If I were to run this, chargen would occur at the table... that's half the fun.

For those who have never heard of Spirit of the Century, you make characters collaboratively. You make up your own pulp novel that you star in and jot it down on a card. Then you pass the cards around and 2 other players write their characters into your novel as guests!

If I do run Spycraft, I have 3 possibilities:
1) Triple Play. Run a generic superspy game with the same batch of characters I labored over for GenCon. If I ran this, I would consider running an old LSpy game that is set in the area where the game will be played. Actually, this adventure has a bit of a "24" feel to it.
2) Living Spycraft Run a living Spycraft game, for those who want to be part of the LSpy game.
3) The Island of Dr. Shang This would be martial arts game in the tradition of Enter the Dragon and Mortal Kombat, where the players must infiltrate a secret tournament to save the world!

Or if you really hate these ideas and know something else you'd like to see, let me know.

If I see strong enough response for both, I may run both. But otherwise, assume I will only be running one.

madwabbit

First Post
Psion said:
For those who have never heard of Spirit of the Century, you make characters collaboratively. You make up your own pulp novel that you star in and jot it down on a card. Then you pass the cards around and 2 other players write their characters into your novel as guests!
I'd love to actually finally PLAY SotC -- I own it and dig it, but have never had the chance to actually play, since it's a slightly different gaming paradigm that most of the folks in my group are comfy with (they all know that I'm a closet Indie gamer and am looking to replace them in their sleep with Indie-Pod People ;) )

With that said, I was thinking of running a Hollow Earth Expedition (HEX) session, but could just as easily run an SotC game myself. Bretbo's got HEX covered in the afternoon, and I could do SotC in the morning if you're doing the Spycraft thing (which I am guessing will get more of the SQUEEE's a la Liz's response :D )

--tom

Zoatebix

Working on it
I had so much fun when I ran Spirit of the Century on a lark. It was the first time I had gamed with that crew for a long time and no one besides me is particularly "hard core". Two of my friends were so impressed that they've recommended Spirit to people they've met at random in game stores.

Psion

Adventurer
madwabbit said:
With that said, I was thinking of running a Hollow Earth Expedition (HEX) session, but could just as easily run an SotC game myself. Bretbo's got HEX covered in the afternoon, and I could do SotC in the morning if you're doing the Spycraft thing (which I am guessing will get more of the SQUEEE's a la Liz's response :D )

That would nicely solve the "Psion being a game hog" thing, and give me a chance to play. If you do go with that, sign me up for your game, and I'll throw Spycraft in the other slot (it looks like Island of Dr. Shang is generating the most excitement at this point.)

madwabbit

First Post
Psion said:
That would nicely solve the "Psion being a game hog" thing, and give me a chance to play. If you do go with that, sign me up for your game, and I'll throw Spycraft in the other slot (it looks like Island of Dr. Shang is generating the most excitement at this point.)
Deal. I'll run an SotC game in the morning, play in Rodrigo's "Dread-S.S. Morro Castle" in the après-noon, and hopefully an evening session will bring all kinds of dee-lite for one and all.

I'll throw a working title together to populate the slot, and you'll be the first listed!

--tom

Last edited:

madwabbit

First Post
Psion said:
I'm guessing he's running in the morning so he can play HEX in the afternoon?

Rrr...
Not me, no. I'm definitely wanting in on Rodrigo's Dread, which is the afternoon. Plus, Bretbo's running HEX in the afternoon, and it seems... unseemly? ... to have two pulp games running in the same slot (although if more folks step forward to run 'em, so be it).

I'm a contributor and play-tester for HEX, so I'd rather shake things up for myself and run something different. I am nothing, however, other than flexible and I'm the new guy on the block, so toss out a suggestion or two as to what you'd like to see and do, and I'll work with it.

--tom

Remove ads