• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help reading Fearless Rescue power

SafireDeluge

First Post
Fearless Rescue is a level 1 Daily for Warlords introduced in Martial Power. The exact power is:

Fearless Rescue
Daily Healing, Martial, Weapon
Immediate Reaction
Melee weapon
Trigger: An enemy within 5 squares of you reduces an ally to 0 hit points or fewer
Target: The triggering enemy.
Effect: Before the attack, you can move to the nearest square from which you can attack the target.
Attack: Strength + 1 vs. AC
Hit: 2[W] + Strength modifier damage.
Effect: The ally can spend a healing surge and regains an additional 1d6 hit points for every opportunity attack you provoke while moving to the target.

Okay, so I don't understand if this power is keeping the ally alive or not. It's an immediate reaction, which means it's happening after the ally hits 0 HP. The first effect says you move before the attack, but the second one surely has to take place after the attack, since the entire condition of the power is whether or not the ally drops to 0 HP. And if the ally does drop to 0 and this power heals them instantly afterward, do they fall prone or does this power immediately heal them with the healing surge+ from zero before they actually fall?

OakwoodDM

First Post
Okay, so I don't understand if this power is keeping the ally alive or not. It's an immediate reaction, which means it's happening after the ally hits 0 HP. The first effect says you move before the attack, but the second one surely has to take place after the attack, since the entire condition of the power is whether or not the ally drops to 0 HP. And if the ally does drop to 0 and this power heals them instantly afterward, do they fall prone or does this power immediately heal them with the healing surge+ from zero before they actually fall?

The way I read it is as follows:

It happens after the ally hits zero and immediately heals them up, so they end up prone but on positive hit points. The 'Before the attack' line is talking about before your attack. Basically, you see a friend fall, and you run hell for leather to go snot the guy who felled them.
Seeing this, and seeing how much you risk to come and help them (the OAs increasing the heal) as their sight fades into blackness perks your friend up and they find inner reserves of energy.
Suddenly they aren't so tired, and they can keep on fighting for a while longer, because they know you have their back.

Gruns

Explorer
Ogre smacks your Rogue friend for 27 damage, but Rogue only had 22 hit points. Rogue drops unconscious at -5 hit points. *Your power is triggered!*
You run past 2 hobgoblins to get to the ogre. They each take an OA, but luckily both miss. You attack the ogre, but also miss. In any case, your rogue friend spends a healing surge and adds 2d6 to this, for a total of 18 hit points. He is now awake, prone, and at positive 18 hit points.
Later!
Gruns

Last edited:

Gruns

Explorer
Correct

I think he should be at 18 HP, as usual when healed from a negative number.

Ah yes, you're right. My mistake. Good eye. Mainly interested in the actions of the power in question, and threw the math in without much thought. (I also originally figured 22 minus 27 to be -15, too.) Math is hard. :)
Later!
Gruns

Mathew_Freeman

First Post
Ogre smacks your Rogue friend for 27 damage, but Rogue only had 22 hit points. Rogue drops unconscious at -5 hit points. *Your power is triggered!*
You run past 2 hobgoblins to get to the ogre. They each take an OA, but luckily both miss. You attack the ogre, but also miss. In any case, your rogue friend spends a healing surge and adds 2d6 to this, for a total of 18 hit points. He is now awake, prone, and at positive 18 hit points.
Later!
Gruns

I agree with this 100%.

LittleElvis

First Post
Resurrecting this thread ...

Also, you don't have to move before the attack AND you don't have to attack the enemy that killed your ally.

My question: can you forgo the attack (for whatever reason) and still trigger the effect (healing the ally).

LittleElvis

First Post
Resurrecting this thread ...

Also, you don't have to move before the attack AND you don't have to attack the enemy that killed your ally.

My question: can you forgo the attack (for whatever reason) and still trigger the effect (healing the ally).

Okay, I think I can answer my own question now. The answer is no. The second effect listed under the power is an effect of the attack. So even if the trigger occurs, you still have to make an attack to heal the ally. The attack doesn't have to be against the enemy that killed your ally, though.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads