• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

help scaling treasure parcels in rsscue at rivenroar

Thordain

First Post
I'm running rescue at rivenroar for 6 players (instead of the 5 normal) and am confused with the treasure scaling rules. The treasure in rescue at rivenroar doesn't seem to match up to any of the standard parcels as per the DMG. Can someone help me understand exactly what the treasure parcels should be for 6 players?

Dalzig

First Post
Almost none (if any) of the published modules adhere to the DMG parcel guidelines. It is (probably) expected that the DM fills in the missing parts to fit their individual parties.

Thordain

First Post
ok then let me ask this -- if the adventure is meant for levels 1-3, then does that mean during the course of the adventure (according to the DMG p.126), that the party recieves the SUM TOTAL of parcels lvl 1, 2, and 3? In other words, for magic items, would a 5 man party get:

magic items lvl 5, 4, 3, 2 + 6, 5, 4, 3 + 7, 6, 5 4?

in other words:
1 lv 2 item
2 lvl 3 items
3 lvl 4 items
3 lvl 5 items
2 lvl 6 items
1 lvl 7 item?

That seems like a ton of treasure, and that's not even talking about the gold.. are they supposed to get all that (for a group of 5 going from lvl 1 - 3?)

Dalzig

First Post
ok then let me ask this -- if the adventure is meant for levels 1-3, then does that mean during the course of the adventure (according to the DMG p.126), that the party recieves the SUM TOTAL of parcels lvl 1, 2, and 3? In other words, for magic items, would a 5 man party get:

magic items lvl 5, 4, 3, 2 + 6, 5, 4, 3 + 7, 6, 5 4?

in other words:
1 lv 2 item
2 lvl 3 items
3 lvl 4 items
3 lvl 5 items
2 lvl 6 items
1 lvl 7 item?

That seems like a ton of treasure, and that's not even talking about the gold.. are they supposed to get all that (for a group of 5 going from lvl 1 - 3?)

Yes, that's pretty much how it's expected to work. It does seem like a lot of magic items, but if you break it down it makes more sense. Each player is expected to have at least the basic 3 (armor, weapon, neck slot) at an appropriate level. That's 15 items by itself, of which you only get 12 through level 3.

And "expected" is kind of a bad word, but if you don't provide the party with those magic items, they will fall behind the power curve.

Also, "a lot" is a very relative term. Compared to 1e (at least, I hear so) it is a lot of magic items. Compared to 3.5, it is a very few amount of magic items.

Remove ads