• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help! Someone's going to play a Frenzied Berserker!

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Eh. While I agree it's a pretty cruddy class for PC use, I've allowed FBs in the party without any major consequences. Just don't be affraid to hold person, it won't be too horrible.

Unkabear

First Post
Wand of Grease a rogue with a short bow and a question about how much experience it is to kill the FB?

Seriously though get a decent monk grappler and make that greataxe worthless. Lay down some grease or cast Owls Wisdom on the guy. Or perhaps load him down with anything that offers a will save to help him out.

Sejs

First Post
kaomera said:
Traps will send him into a Frenzy...
Bow ambushes are also notorious for setting off the F-Bomb. Make the hide check to remain hidden after sniping and all of a sudden the FB turns on the only 'enemies' he can see... the party.

Unkabear said:
Seriously though get a decent monk grappler and make that greataxe worthless. Lay down some grease or cast Owls Wisdom on the guy. Or perhaps load him down with anything that offers a will save to help him out.
FBs are wicked hard to grapple. Full BAB and either a +10 or +14 to str means they are not slouches when it comes to grapple checks.

GwydapLlew

First Post
I've had a FB in a high-level game for a while now, and the whole 'deathless frenzy' aspect just doesn't seem to come up as often as people here state. :shrug: It's entertaining to watch, but my players treated the insta-kill-o-matic barbarian with caution and kid gloves before she went %*($ insane.

Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks. It's a simple equation, really: if the FB causes trouble, treat it like any other troublemaker in the party. If it doesn't, don't sweat it.

Lonely Tylenol

First Post
Cthulhudrew said:
I'd take that even one step further and, as others have suggested, the minute he turns on the party, devote all resources to taking him out, permanently. If anything, the notion that this player has been developing his character towards taking this PrC makes it all the more unacceptable if/when he turns on the party. It's like saying that he's been gradually becoming less and less stable all the time, so if the party has to finally put him out of the way, it's a matter of self-defense at that point.
At some point, you know it's time to take Old Yeller out back of the barn and put him out of his misery.

Felix

Explorer
Ask him not to. Shove the Reaping Mauler PrC in his face; it has a similar leap-at-the-enemy-and-gouge-his-eyes-out feel that the FB does.

Aside:

Ever think that those Death Guards from "The Beastmaster" were Frenzied Berserkers?

I think there's going to be a King in my homebrew that keeps 20 or so FB's around, well contained, so when opposing armies marched at him he could just turn those guys loose on their formations. Provide the PCs a nice little achilies' heel to exploit if it ever came to that.

Lordgrae

First Post
I had a fellow player decided to roll up a frenzied berserker. I told him that if he does, so will I. And another one of my friends promised the same thing. He changed his mind.

Otherwise, would have been a short lived game. =D

Heathansson

First Post
Lordgrae said:
I had a fellow player decided to roll up a frenzied berserker. I told him that if he does, so will I. And another one of my friends promised the same thing. He changed his mind.

Otherwise, would have been a short lived game. =D
Notice how reciprocity wins out here?
Hmmm.....

Remathilis

Legend
My friend talked about a dwarf barbarian/battlerager/frenzied beserker. He wouldn't hit FB until 11th level, and he had every intention of taking Iron Will, Luck of Heroes, and and the "con-to-will saves" feat in PH2. By his calculations, he needed to roll a 4 or better at 11th level to stop beserkering.

:/ I'm glad he opted for a a half-orc rogue instead...

Merifluous

Explorer
I DMed and FB - the campaign only lasted for a few levels past entering the PrC, but the PCs generally were ok for three reasons:
1. They had a tank with a super high AC and hit points who could stand next the FB
2. The FB bumped his will save with feats, Wis, etc
3. The rest of the party were ranged casters or archers who kept their distance.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads