• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Help strangle this PC to death

Nagol

Unimportant
Well, not to spoil the gravity of death, but it's D&D so death isn't quite as permanent as it normally is.

What I'm currently leaning towards is a contest of skills. This isn't Ike suffocating under water, as strangulation cuts off the blood flow to the brain immediately. I'm no MMA fighting fan, but I guess about 12 or so seconds can pass while being strangled before someone looses consciousness. Thats two very intense rounds in game. The first round will be her acrobatics check against his strength plus proficiency. If she wins she breaks the grapple, if not she has one more round to try.

If both rounds she fails, she will find the big sleep.

If she breaks the grapple, anything can happen that she tries, but he's going to try a grapple again.

If anyone has suggestions that make this more fair or exciting, by all means speak up.

Just be prepared for the PCs to adopt this wonderful new combat tactic "I strangle him. If I win two grapple checks, the n HP creature is unconscious!" Even if the situation is limited to starting in non-combat (though I can't see it would -- combat moves often include a choke hold type action) the PCs will find a way to apply it. It's easier to stick to the rules provided: it means the players understand the level of danger and what they can do to mitigate it and leaves the relative balance of the game choices where the designers expected.

Corwin

Explorer
Given that your group is clearly into mature themes and capable of handling them, I'd say you should trust in the maturity of the player. Move the entire encounter into a more "free-form" narrative style. Frame the scene, determine what the player's intentions are, how they see the scene playing out, and move it forward in that way. Maybe a few contested rolls to keep it "game-y" if you like. Maintain the sense of potential death or long-term injury to the character, if that's what you guys want. But I wouldn't worry too much about the granularity of a more typical, traditional combat.

Nagol

Unimportant
In dnd, the main mechanism for that is the dex(acrobatics) check :)

Absolutely! What occurred is provided by the narrative. How effective the counter-move was is provided by the dice. That's why I don't think a high-Dex character should be under any form of disadvantage to a high-Str character in this grapple. There are a lot of ways to break the hold rather than yanking the arms away.

Xombiemike

Explorer
Nagol, regarding the two rounds and players using that in the future: Yes, I've thought of that and it is certainly something to consider. The strangulation came about due to these two characters preference for rough intimate interactions, so this is a unique opportunity. If the grapple is broken he won't be able to initiate the same sort of strangulation.

That said, if the characters find themselves in a situation where they can get their hands around someone's throat specifically, I would allow the exact same mechanics.

I'm not completely sold on doing things this way, it's just how I'm leaning so far. I'm loving the replies and have a completely open mind for suggestions.

Sadras

Legend
I think Corwin said it well, combination of free form with dice as you narrate the searing damage across her neck, his eyes (whether in glee or emotionless pits), his forcefulness and the surrounds for effect (the thick red drapings, the darkness of the evening seeping through the window, the quietness of the room...etc).
You can decide to give anyone a bonus or penalty on their actions depending if they are in line with their goals/flaws.

Sounds like a really cool moment for roleplaying ;)

Nagol

Unimportant
Nagol, regarding the two rounds and players using that in the future: Yes, I've thought of that and it is certainly something to consider. The strangulation came about due to these two characters preference for rough intimate interactions, so this is a unique opportunity. If the grapple is broken he won't be able to initiate the same sort of strangulation.

That said, if the characters find themselves in a situation where they can get their hands around someone's throat specifically, I would allow the exact same mechanics.

I'm not completely sold on doing things this way, it's just how I'm leaning so far. I'm loving the replies and have a completely open mind for suggestions.

I've said my piece. I know I'd work hard as a player to get that move in combat possibly with another PC performing a normal grapple then a 2nd PC specifically grabbing the throat or as a Monk stating I'm going for a chokehold because what martial tradition other than savate doesn't have one? Bypassing the hp attrition mini-game becomes more and more tempting as levels increase and opponent hps inflate faster than damage output. I'd also be looking for other situations where the DM looks to realism instead of the rules. Because in people's view of reality, opponents are easier to incapacitate than the game rules allow for.

Nagol

Unimportant
Another thought, if you want to express the rough-housing in game terms, drop each character to half-hp and/or give each one a level of exhaustion to simulate how they feel before the combat becomes 'real'.

MechaPilot

Explorer
In dnd, the main mechanism for that is the dex(acrobatics) check :)

I wouldn't be inclined to handle it that way. I would use the Dex (Acrobatics) check only for nimble attempts to escape a grapple. Grabbing your foe by the . . . d20s . . . and trying to force him to let go would probably be a Str check opposed by a Con check at my table.

pming

Legend
Hiya!

I, and my players, found the "holding breath" rules for 5e to be FAR to generous if taken at face value for any situation where the player says "I hold my breath". What I decided on-the-fly was like many other of these types of "rules start to break believability" rules was to apply the rules as written as a sort of "perfect situation".

From that "perfect situation", stuff starts to get modified. For holding your breath...the RAW are used if the player is in a situation that is perfectly safe; e.g., the two PC's are sitting at a table in the inn trying to see who can hold their breath the longest...looser buys the next round. In that situation, RAW.

But what if it isn't safe? We switch the calculation to Rounds not Minutes. The formula becomes "5 rounds + (Constitution Modifier) rounds". If the characters are in the bar and they hear screaming from outside, and the run outside and see someone being attacked by a sentient "choking cloud with tentacles"...if the run over into it to fight the beast and save people, they use Rounds.

Sometimes other factors will adjust this a bit too. Taking a Critical Hit while trying to hold your breath...subtract another round. Trying to perform some physical action that is "jarring"...like, jumping across a pit...subtract a round....subtract another one if you fail, and another once you hit the ground. All very much "play it by ear" type DM adjudications, as expected.

So far it's worked excellently. In the OP's situation, definitely switch to "rounds based", I'd probably knock it in half just because they have been having sex for at least a while?

^_^

Paul L. Ming

Remove ads