• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help twink a Goliath smasher

Doctor DM

First Post
Starting a new mini campaign, and we're supposed to have super good characters. I decided to go with the Goliath melee smasher, just pour on as much damage as possible.

So how about some help with the build?

I'll have 6 class levels, so I'm thinking a barbarian/fighter combo, maybe 4/2? Unless anyone knows of some other cheesy melee build. I'll use a Large goliath greathammer (3d6). I haven't thought about the feats too much, though Power Attack and Cleave are a given. I'm looking for the the sickest, most useful damage/attack feats out there. And how about equipment? Standard gold for a 7th level character. Even general tactics advice is helpful.

Thanks for the help.

Now let's twink this mofo. :cool:

frankthedm

First Post
Doctor DM said:
ALL of them! Muahahahahahaha!
:\ Then If you have some patience, Goliath cleric abusing Divine metamagic and Persistent spell. Your divine power will last all day, giving you more or less full BAB. The rest of your spells will buff you beyond a barbarian's rage could ever hope to go.

sukael

First Post
frankthedm said:
:\ Then If you have some patience, Goliath cleric abusing Divine metamagic and Persistent spell. Your divine power will last all day, giving you more or less full BAB. The rest of your spells will buff you beyond a barbarian's rage could ever hope to go.

I say goliath cleric/warblade/whatever that divine/initiator multiclass PrC is.

Also, get the Monkey Grip feat, for an even larger weapon.

ethandrew

First Post
sukael said:
I say goliath cleric/warblade/whatever that divine/initiator multiclass PrC is.

Also, get the Monkey Grip feat, for an even larger weapon.

Ditto on Monkey Grip, if you're just looking for output, 4d6 is the way to go!

sukael

First Post
ethandrew said:
Ditto on Monkey Grip, if you're just looking for output, 4d6 is the way to go!

This is also one of the cases where it's worth it as compared to Power Attack, too: -2 to attack for +3.5 damage on average, versus (for a two-handed weapon) -2 to attack for +3 damage.

sukael

First Post
Drowbane said:
Goliath Warhulk: SMASH!

That's the route to go if you want to be ridiculously over-the-top - a warhulk (no BAB, but Str +2 every level)/hulking hurler (throw things that do damage based on their weight, and since all that Str boosts your carrying capacity...).

Ferrum

First Post
I've used Combat Brute from Complete Warrior to great effect with my damage machine.

Charge, then next round Power Attack for 5+ and get PAx3 with 2 handed weapons.
Sunder an opponent's weapon and get a cleave attack on the wielder.
Bull Rush, then next round gain a +1 to attack and damage for every 5ft you push them.

Remove ads