Help Us Kill Morrus - Just updated 23/03/05

jerichothebard

First Post
Eccles said:
6. Try to divide and conquer. There's no way Morrus will've put us in this situation and not have a way that he'd use to get out of it. Even if it's not one that's obvious to us.

Well, that's an assumption you shouldn't make. Rat bastard DMs are known for doing exactly that. And if Morrus isn't a RBDM, well, he's being coached by them. PirateCat, for example, during the recent climax of the story arc chronicled in his story hour, is on record as saying:

PirateCat said:
This is one of those situations that I threw my group into with no idea whatsoever how they were going to solve it. Interesting conundrum.

BSF

Explorer
Eccles said:
6. Try to divide and conquer. There's no way Morrus will've put us in this situation and not have a way that he'd use to get out of it. Even if it's not one that's obvious to us.

*laugh*
I tell my players that once they start hitting high levels I stop worrying about how they get out of a situation. High level PCs have so many options that they likely have a dozen or more ways that they might resolve a problem. At high levels, it becomes their concern, not mine, to stay alive.

OK, I do make some effort to be sure they can probably handle most challenges, but I do have NPCs out there that are out of their league too. If the PCs charge off into something's lair, ill prepared, they just might bite it big time.

Inconsequenti-AL

Breaks Games
BardStephenFox said:
*laugh*
I tell my players that once they start hitting high levels I stop worrying about how they get out of a situation. High level PCs have so many options that they likely have a dozen or more ways that they might resolve a problem. At high levels, it becomes their concern, not mine, to stay alive.

OK, I do make some effort to be sure they can probably handle most challenges, but I do have NPCs out there that are out of their league too. If the PCs charge off into something's lair, ill prepared, they just might bite it big time.

Unfortunately, I recall Russ saying something very similar... think we've got to rely on our poor old brains to amuse him :)

Eccles

Ragged idiot in a trilby.
BardStephenFox said:
*laugh*

I'll admit, I'm much the same. But tell me that you don't come up with ideas as you're going along in game. And Morrus has said in previous sessions that he can think of ways out of situations. Besides, you don't make the door disappear unless you're aware there's another way out of the room!

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
There's also the fact that for this sort of DMing to work, you need to not blanket-ban huge chunks of stuff. No divination, no teleports, no interference with psionics makes a lot of stuff blanket-banned...

Darmanicus

I'm Ray...of Enfeeblement
I'd just like to say thanks for all your suggestions folks, it's given us a lot to think about.

Saevio -

Unfortunately Morrus has a thing for nullifying a lot of our abilities ie. Belt doesn't work, critters immune to crits, critters immune to a lot of our holy/good damage etc. etc. so we'll just have to see! :(

The_One_Warlock -

Loved the idea about summoning Mind Flayers. How many could you get with a Summons 8, (I do believe our Diviner has that in his repetoire, hehe)? :D

Voodoo

First Post
Eccles said:
1. Need the Diviner to check the powers of the room, and the negative energy walls, with his Arcane Sight. Does it stop flight? Does it stop teleporting? Does it stop planar travel? (If so, there's going to be no summoning or indeed ghost form!)

I't be worth asking if the magic generating the negative energy walls seems to be bound to a particular item or area. If they are a power of an item in the room (throne?) then it becomes a target for disintergration, though it might be an artifact and that would be a waste.

If they are restricted to only part of the chamber it'll help you pick your turf.

Also they may be something the Queen is controlling, if you can keep her distracted she might not be able to bring them to bear.

Good Luck

Remove ads