• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help w/ Cleric build

R-Hero

Explorer
..or Favored Soul or Healer or something.

The group is already talking about new characters for the next adventure path. I usually play fighter/paladin types but the group needs a healer. So I have been voulenteerd to be the "team medic"

I realized that I have no idea on how to build a cleric that will keep up with the powergamers that I play with.

I like the flexability of Favored Soul but no divine feats :( ,
(Divine shield has kept my current paladin (Hawk in Jollydocs Age of Worms) in pretty good shape.)

Any advice would be appreciated...

rgard

Adventurer
R-Hero said:
..or Favored Soul or Healer or something.

The group is already talking about new characters for the next adventure path. I usually play fighter/paladin types but the group needs a healer. So I have been voulenteerd to be the "team medic"

I realized that I have no idea on how to build a cleric that will keep up with the powergamers that I play with.

I like the flexability of Favored Soul but no divine feats :( ,
(Divine shield has kept my current paladin (Hawk in Jollydocs Age of Worms) in pretty good shape.)

Any advice would be appreciated...

Check out the prestige Paladin in the Unearthed Arcana. You can do the cleric/healer thing then bump up your BAB while slowing your cleric/healing.

Thanks,
Rich

szilard

First Post
You could always go with a Druid - pick up the Spontaneous Rejuvenation option from PHBII.

It is hard not to keep up with powergamers as a druid...

-Stuart

Magesmiley

Explorer
Um, the first big thing to decide is whether you want to channel positive or negative energy. There are some big pluses to both, but since you're talking about healing, I'll assume that you are looking for a positive channeler (if you're interested in considering one that channels negative energy, say something and we can discuss that option as well).

I'd go straight cleric myself - its generally considered one of the more powerful classes to begin with. Wisdom and Charisma both should be as high as you can manage.

Take a very very hard look at the divine metamagic feat (CD). In particular when combined with Reach Spell, Quicken Spell, and Persistent Spell. The ability to turn a cure spell into a ray on the fly, cast two in a single round, or have a spell last all day, is incredibly powerful. Get extra turning if you go this route - you'll find yourself using it.

If you're after a medic character, the aument healing feat (CD) is another feat to look at.

Consider your domains carefully, both for their spell list and the ability that they grant. A fun pair is air and fire, which gives you turn/rebuke abilities against all elemental creatures (and a few others as well, particularly with the fire subtype). Healing is another obvious domain selection for your case.

For spells, consider taking the vigor spells (CD again) for restoring HP. They're more effective than a cure spell of the same level, but just take more time. A wand of lesser vigor is a great idea, especially if you can get the other players to chip in on the cost. It's one of the most cost-effective ways of healing characters that can be had.

FrostedMini1337

First Post
Stigamata
That feat that lets you burn turning attempts to give fast healin in area from BOED
Augment Healing
Healing Domain

And healing will never be a problem again.

pawsplay

Hero
"Team medic"
Human cleric of Pelor 6
Feats:
Combat Casting,
Shielded Casting (Races of Stone)
Augment Healing (CD)
Extra Turning (DC)

Then you take levels in Radiant Servant of Pelor
Feats
3rd (9th) Sacred Boost (CD)
6th (9th) Domain Focus
9th (12th) Extra Domain Spell (MH)

A 12th level character who takes no AoO from casting while carrying a shield, can maximize all cure spells in a 60' radius 6 + Cha bonus times a day, can cast maximized empowered Healing domain spells (with an extra slot just for mass cure moderates wounds), all cast at +1 level, all with +(2x spell level) extra healing. In addition to your excellent healing powers, you would be extremely competent at destroying the undead.

Mass cure moderate wounds, at that level, using sacred boost or one of your domain spells, would heal 16 + (2d8/2) + 12 +1 + 12 = 50 hit points cured for everyone in the area of effect. Your heal spell delivers 142 hit points.

R-Hero

Explorer
Thanks to all, so far I have not really had time to study on it much, but I think a Complete Divine purchase is in order. Great ideas overall.

Magesmiley said:
Um, the first big thing to decide is whether you want to channel positive or negative energy. There are some big pluses to both, but since you're talking about healing, I'll assume that you are looking for a positive channeler (if you're interested in considering one that channels negative energy, say something and we can discuss that option as well).
I am going positive energy/team healer but a negative energy/tank-backup character sound fun. (As long as his enemies have a circulatory system, that is...i.e. not undead)

pawsplay said:
"Team medic"....
...Extra Turning (DC)...
What book is D.C?? Is it Complete Divine on dyslexia or one I cannot think of? :confused:

Last edited:

R-Hero

Explorer
rgard said:
Check out the prestige Paladin in the Unearthed Arcana. You can do the cleric/healer thing then bump up your BAB while slowing your cleric/healing.

Thanks,
Rich

I've played paladins most of the time so I am looking for something different. I may still take a couple of levels just for Divine Grace.

Remove ads