• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Help with a 5e character?

Quickleaf

Legend
My group is trying out 5e so I get to be a player for a bit :)

The DM is running Ghosts of Dragonspear Castle and we're using the 6 pregens from that book which he's letting us customize as we level. I've got the human fighter using a sword and board, and the character concept for "Flard Flewyn" somewhat straddles the ranger (for which I picked up the Guide background) and the bard, though without spells.

So in the latest version of the playtest, what would happen if my Level 1 Fighter picked up a level in Bard? Would he become a full-fledged spellcaster?

If that is the case, are there any ways to pick up a second background? Short of pleading the DM?

Li Shenron

Legend
So in the latest version of the playtest, what would happen if my Level 1 Fighter picked up a level in Bard? Would he become a full-fledged spellcaster?

No. Only the Bard's level determine your spellcasting abilities (known spells, slots per day) in this case.

If that is the case, are there any ways to pick up a second background? Short of pleading the DM?

No, but some feats give you extra proficiencies IIRC.

tuxgeo

Adventurer
In each of those classes (Bard, Fighter, and Ranger), your first possible feat would be available at the 4th class level. For that reason, it might not give you versatility early enough -- depending on what proportions of Bard and Ranger you envision Flard Flewyn as embodying.

Flard's first level of Bard would give him armor and weapon proficiencies that duplicate the Fighter's, but also: proficiencies in three musical instruments and some skills, plus some Bardic stuff he can do. He would have to take a second level of Bard to get spellcasting, and even then he would be only a half-spellcaster: in the latest playtest packet, both the Bard and the Ranger have half the spellcasting progression that the Cleric and Mage have. (It has been announced that the Bard in the actual, released game will be a full spellcaster, however.)

Given that Flard already has the Guide background, I would recommend that he take at least two levels of Bard as soon as he can. Then he gets Cantrips (no attack cantrip, though), and can cast spells. (Again, it depends on what kind of mix between Bard and Ranger you want.)

Quickleaf

Legend
[MENTION=61026]tuxgeo[/MENTION]

Thanks. For this character concept it's actually important that he does NOT cast spells.

So it sounds like a level 1 bard (which in terms of how multiclassing works as I understand it is the same as a fighter 1/bard 1 for the purposes of bard class features) gets neither spells nor cantrips? Is that right? That's news to me!

Interpolating from the sample pregens from last month, for picking up a level in bard he would get:
1d6 hit points
Proficiency in INT and CHA saves
3 music instrument proficiencies
3 skill proficiencies
Bardic Knowledge
Bardic Performance (call to battle, inspire competence)

Do I have that right?

tuxgeo

Adventurer
Re: what 1 level of Bard would give:

Yep, your list is right.
Also, the 3 skill proficiencies are any skill proficiencies from the entire list; and B. Knowledge is Take-10 on INT checks involving ARCA, HIST, NATU, or RELI.

tuxgeo

Adventurer
. . . and I got that wrong: Bardic Knowledge isn't really "Take-10," it's a floor of 10: you still do roll the d20, but you cannot get a result lower than 10, though you can still get a higher one: rolls of 1-9 count as 10, while higher results count as themselves.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads