• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help with a build?

darbythegambler

First Post
I'm making character builds for some friends of mine who are too lazy and/or busy to do so using 3.5. One of these builds starts off as so:
Race: Changeling
Classes: Paladin of Freedom 2/Fighter 2/Warshaper 4/Pious Templar 1/Divine Oracle 2/Misc.

here is where I am stuck... Fort and Will are good and having Mettle helps with that a lot. The problem is... it's got something close to Evasion and very poor Reflexes. Can anyone suggest a good class or PrC that can help out with the reflexes?

Please and thanks in advance

Dandu

First Post
Don't make something complicated. A player who is too lazy/busy to make his own character may not be able to handle a complicated character that you design for him.

But in response to your question, Warblade.

parinho7

First Post
greater agility armor property (mic) + ring of evasion
knight of the sacred shield(2) (tome of magic)

Last edited:

Persiflage

First Post
What Dandu said.

Also... I wouldn't spend too many resources on the Reflex save specifically: of the three, it tends to be the one where failure results in hit-point damage rather than extended status effects, and you've got plenty of hit points. Plus, it's rather easy to acquire resistances and immunities to common energy types, which are typically what you end up getting hit with on a Reflex-save effect. You can detract a lot from the main focus of the character by concentrating on closing a saving-throw gap, and if Reflex is your only weak save you're not doing too badly.

Anyway, a Cloak of Resistance is an obvious way to boost all your saves, and Gloves of Dexterity will help with Reflex. If you've got decent divine mojo in the party, there are always buffs like Divine Agility, Superior Resistance (OK, won't stack with the cloak), Conviction (probably the Mass version) for morale bonuses to saves and Recitation for luck bonuses.

As you've got Divine Grace, you're better off boosting Charisma than Dex if it comes to a choice of where to spend the money. And, of course, if you've got the cash to splash you get a double whammy from X-bonus-to-all-stats items. :)

If you could stand to drop a point of BAB, you could dip Swordsage instead of Warblade: good Reflex and Will, and you get access to the Diamond Mind concentration-check-instead-of-X-save maneuvers I assume Dandu alluding to. Warblade would get you Int to Reflex, but it's a maximum bonus of +1 per Warblade level and you probably don't want to depart too far from your existing build. If you've got a great Int and a less-than-great Dex, you're probably better off burning a feat on Insightful Reflexes (Int instead of Dex to Reflex saves), but as I said before, it's probably not worth detracting so much from your existing build to bump the least-important save.

darbythegambler

First Post
I like the Warblade idea, maybe add some Crusader levels also so if he does take some damage, he can whack the foes and heal it back up. As far as items go, we're starting the campaign at level 2, the DM will do everything he can short of kidnapping to keep this campaign running for the long haul, meaning the items we get are kind of not our choice as far as I know. Looking at it now, the build comes out to something similar to this:

Race: Draconic Changeling (Buyout)
Classes: Crusader 4/Warshaper 4/Paladin of Freedom 2/Pious Templar 1/Divine Oracle 2/Spirit Lion Totem Barbarian 1/Fighter 2/Warblade 4

final thoughts? tips? opinions?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads