• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help with a character

Lady Starhawk

First Post
I'm not sure where this should go so I"m gonna put it here and see if/where it gets moved to.

I have agreed to play in a game (D&D 3e) that is very open as far as character type, and is pretty high-powered (dare I use the term munchkin?). The Dm doesn't care about ECL's, just you can play whatever you want. <note this isn't my usual gaming style preference, but I'm doing it as a favor to the DM>

I want to put together a Doppleganger Rogue, but I'm not sure how. I'm not sure what level I can have so I was just going to start with a level 1 rogue and if I get permission to up it I will later.

IF anyone has any ideas or places to look for help I'd appreciate it. There's a few things I can't quite figure out how it works and trying to compare the doppleganger to the existing templates is difficult at best.

I'm familiar with the 3e rules, but I'm not great with them, and I'm not yet a master of manipulating them.

Any help y'all could give me would be appreciated, from creation mechanics to how different things would work in game as a PC.

Thanks a ton,
Lady Starhawk
<sorry if I put this in the wrong place, I jsut can never figure out what should go where>

Isida KepTukari

First Post
Hmm... well, not that is matters, but a doppelganger has an ECL of 8, just for future reference. If you have lots of levels to work with, I'd say pick an prestige class, then build your character up and through it.

You want to go roguish? Build it toward Dungeon Delver. Bardish? Virtuoso. Rogue-wizard? Arcane Trickster. Really freaking weird? Alienist. Like two-weapon fighting? Tempest. Toss in a level or two of barbarian and go for Frenzied Berserker. Or heck, if you want to be really sick, go doppleganger half-dragon (when else do you get opportunities like this?) take the Spellfire feat and go for spellfire channeler (total munchkin concept, but could be damn fun). :D

Avarice

First Post
I'm not sure if this is what you are asking for, but...

A doppleganger is a +3 ECL creature, meaning that you will effectively be taking your first three levels in the'doppleganger' class. So you would have to have enough XP to be fourth level if you want to tack on the rogue class. For hit points you would have 4d8 + (4 X con bonus) + whatever you get as a rogue. Stat adjustments, base skills, saves, etc. can all be found on p.57 of the DMG or p.60 of the MM. Oh, and of course they get the supernatural abilities to alter self and detect thoughts at will, but I'm sure you already knew that. :) Hope that helped. Anything else you need to know?

RogueJK

It's not "Rouge"... That's makeup.
Re: I'm not sure if this is what you are asking for, but...

Avarice said:
A doppleganger is a +3 ECL creature

I'm quite sure that the Doppleganger has a much higher ECL that merely +3. And as Lady Starhawk said, the DM isn't worrying about ECLs.

Lady Starhawk - Perhaps we would be able to help you more if you provided us with some more specific information on the type of character that you would like to play. Is this Rogue an assassin? A sniper? A detective? A thief? A spy? A ninja? A swashbuckler? The Rogue class is incredibly flexible, so you could design the character however you like. Once you decide on a concept, I'll be happy to provide some more detailed, character-specific help. :)

As far as figuring out the Doppleganger's abilites, you'll probably want to take a look at this website. It has some great advice on designing and playing monster characters. http://www.webspawner.com/users/soldarin/index.html

I'll assume that you are planning on playing a regular Doppleganger, and not a Greater Doppleganger. The Doppleganger's racial abilites are as follows:

4d8 starting Hit Points (roll as these as normal and add your Con mod to each roll, just like rolling 4 levels of hit points at once)
+2 Str, +2 Dex, +2 Con, +2 Int, +4 Wis, +2 Cha
Speed: 30 feet
+3 starting BAB.
+4 Natural Armor.
Immune to sleep and charm effect.
+4 racial bonus to Bluff and Disguise checks. *When using the alter self ability, the doppleganger receives an additional +10 circumstance bonus to Disguise checks. If it can read an opponent's mind, it gets a further +4 circumstance bonus to Bluff and Disguise checks.
+4 starting saving throw bonus for Fort., Will, and Ref. saves
2 free feats.
2 slam attacks which do 1d6 damage each. (These are natural attacks, like a tiger's claws.)
[2 x Intelligence score (score, not modifier)]+3 starting Skill Points, which you can use to purchase skill ranks. For these skill points only, Bluff, Disguise, Listen, Sense Motive, and Spot are considered class skills. All other skills are cross-class with regards to these skill points. Your max rank for these skill points is 7.

Detect Thoughts (a supernatural ability): A doppleganger can continuously detect thoughts as the spell cast by an 18th level sorcerer (save DC 13). It can supress or resume this ability as a free action.
Alter Self (a supernatural ability): A doppleganger can assume the shape of any Small or Medium-sized humanoid. this works like the spell alter self as cast by an 18th level sorcerer, but the doppleganger can remain in the chosen form indefinitely. It can assume a new form or return to its own as a standard action.

These racial abilities are figured in just like an Elf or Human's racial abilities. Then, you can start adding class levels. For 1 level of rogue, these would be 1d6+Con mod Hit Points, +0 BAB, +2 Reflex Save, +1d6 Sneak Attack, and 8+Int mod skill points. (Since you have "monster levels" these Skill Points aren't multiplied by 4.)

If you have any questions about this, feel free to ask, or visit the above website.

A Doppleganger Rogue1 would look like this:
BAB: +3 (+3 racial +0 class)
HPs: 4d8+1d6 + [5 x Con mod]
Fortitude Saving Throw: +4 (+Con mod)
Reflex Saving Throw: +6 (+Dex mod)
Will Saving Throw: +4 (+Wis mod)
3 feats
Skill Points: [2 x Int Score]+3 (selected from racial list) + 8+Int mod (selected from Rogue list)
Plus all other racial and class abilites.

Hope this helps ;)

Last edited:

hong

WotC's bitch
Re: Re: I'm not sure if this is what you are asking for, but...

RogueJK said:

I'm quite sure that the Doppleganger has a much higher ECL that merely +3. And as Lady Starhawk said, the DM isn't worrying about ECLs.

Heh. Why am I reminded of a certain smackdown thread in the Rules forum a few weeks back?

RogueJK

It's not "Rouge"... That's makeup.
Re: Re: Re: I'm not sure if this is what you are asking for, but...

hong said:

Heh. Why am I reminded of a certain smackdown thread in the Rules forum a few weeks back?

Haha.

I'm going to run my Azathoth Samurai/Iajitsu Master someday... You can count on that! :D That or a Tarresque Barbarian/Frenzied Berserker.

/me sits back and waits for a DM to tell him "I'm not going to count ECLs. Play whatever you want."

(Sorry to hijack your thread, Lady Starhawk... ;) )

Last edited:

Frostmarrow

First Post
You could try to become a Spymaster (from S&S). These guys are all about disguise. I'm currently playing a Spymaster in Freeport that is called Dorn-Felder Syrah. He is a Cleric of Olidammara3/ Rogue3/ Ranger1/ Spymaster3 but he is also a Ranger7! The ranger7 is known as Tudor Trubbleton, Esq. A private investigator with his very own office in Drac's End. Soon enough a new character, Black Malin the pirate, will make her appearance in Freeport. I wonder where she comes from? :rolleyes:

shilsen

Adventurer
Your DM doesn't care what you play? How about a Solar Rogue then? Although a Solar Commoner would be better for roleplaying purposes :D

BiggusGeekus

That's Latin for "cool"
Don't forget to actually take a few points in Disguise skill! That's a kind of "Oops, I locked the keys in the car" kind of mistake that isn't so hard to make when you're dealing with this level of power.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads