• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help with a Dragon

Need help evaluating a low-level dragon encounter. I expect the PCs to win after a tough fight (because this is a mission they're being sent on with little choice in the matter, not a quest of their choosing). To the things that created this beast and left it here, it IS a disposable dragon.

The bad guys took over a temple of Olidammara, brought a dragon egg, undertook certain dark rituals, and left behind a guardian. Half-fiendish dragon (therefore not needing to eat, breathe, or sleep). The dragon's job is to guard the Darkskull used to Unhallow the site, and every day use its Desecrate ability on the site. The followers of Olidammara cannot train new clerics until these effects are eliminated and the temple is reclaimed. As the land is occupied by Lawful Evil overlords, the followers of Olidammara are valued allies for the PCs.

Half-Fiendish Very Young Black Dragon (CR 6). HP 7d12+14 (59); size S; Attack +12/+7/+7 (bite 1d6+3, claw 1d4+1); AC 20 (+1 size, +7 natural, +2 Dex); BW acid 40' for 4d4 (DC 15); F/R/W +7/+7/+5; mv 60', fly 100', immune to acid, water breathing, smite good 1/day, Darkness 3/day, Desecrate 1/day, Unholy Blight 1/day, Poison 3/day, DC 10+spell level+1, DR 5/magic, SR 17, blindsense 60', darkvision 120', listen +10, spot +10, search +10, concentration +12, hide +16, move silently +12, jump +20 (plus 2 others at 10 ranks each). Feats: Dodge, Mobility, Spring Attack.

The corridors of the temple are normally too small for the dragon to manuever effectively and so it will focus on sneaking around. Its Hide check and ability to cast Darkness will make it fairly difficult for the PCs to spot. It wouldn't last long in hand-to-hand combat, but can do hit-and-run for a while.

The party (25-pt-buy):
Human barbarian 3 with +1 LA (sub-race similar to goliath -- when raging, +12 to hit for 2d6+13 damage)
Dwarven fighter 3 with +1 LA (LA for healing ability similar to Ring of Regeneration)
Half-elven cleric 5
Elven ranger 4 with +1 LA (sub-race with +4 Dex, +2 Int, no Con penalty)
Halfling rogue 4 (maybe rogue 4/wizard1 by the time they get here)

My questions --
1) Do the conditions hamper the dragon so much that it is not a LEGITIMATE CR 6 encounter -- taking into account the fact that dragons are usually under-CR'd?
2) Is the dragon, even with these handicaps, going to mop the floor with the party?
3) Is it significantly more or less powerful than any other CR 6 outsider the bad guys might have chosen to use (kyton, 8-HD barbazu, half-fiend minotaur)? Looks to me like that minotaur would be a pushover CR 6.
4) It is average maneuverability, and the rules say nothing about required space for wingspan, but is it reasonable to say that the creature would need more than 5'-wide corridors to fly effectively?

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Half fiend dragons (at least at ages of mature and younger) do tend to mop the floor with people. You might want to look at Green Ronin's Advanced Beastiary since it has a "divine" template that's good for a divine guardian.

Vrecknidj

Explorer
It should be able to prevent itself from taking many attacks. And if the party doesn't have magic weapons, they're really in trouble.

If the party can get the thing grounded, they've got a shot. But, if it really tries, it should be able to target and eliminate the pesky non-fighter-types at first.

If it cannot heal reliably, the party will probably eventually win--but I don't see it as being easy for them.

Dave

taliesin15

First Post
FWIW, I have a venerable black dragon I've designed that is so old that it has Alzheimer's and has lost all its teeth and barely can use its breath weapon without wheezing for half and hour.

Boondoggle

First Post
This guy looks like a rather frustrating encounter to me. He's not much of a melee threat and his breath-weapon is pretty wimpy. He's also got plenty speed & stealth, making hit & run tactics ideal. Unfortunately, he has lots of HP, so he can keep up the hit & run long past the point of player enjoyment. If the ranger is an archer, he'll probably be the most effective against the dragon.

ValhallaGH

Explorer
1) No, the conditions are not much of a hindrance for it.
2) It's got a good chance. It depends upon how intelligently you play it and how many allies it has.
3) Not significantly more powerful but more powerful than some and on par with others.
4) It is reasonable to say so, but remember that black dragons usually live and fight in swamps with trees and underbrush that make flying impractical, tactically. So it's not any more disadvantaged than it would be in it's natural environment (except for running away, which it's not supposed to do anyway).

Expect to see a lot of readied actions being used.

I ran a black dragon encounter recently (young, so no DR) and was pleased at how well running past and using the breath weapon worked. Spring in, breathe, spring out and disappear until the breath weapon was ready again. Rinse and repeat. By the time I got bored with it and decided that she was going to close in for the kill, one was unconscious, two were at half hp and the last was down to one third hp.
They dropped her (to -8) in one round of melee combat. Then stabilized her and made sure she healed up (despite her vampire spawn ally-mooks). It was a most interesting encounter.

Thanks all!

The cleric's player is very inexperienced, and she's the one who would be essential to victory -- preparing the right spells. Unfortunately, she doesn't have any ranks in Knowledge-Planes, so "You need magic weapons to really hurt this thing" will probably have to come from trial and error. And nobody has ranks in Knowledge-Arcana, so "black dragons breathe acid" is beyond them. Without that knowledge, they still might survive if they run after the first breath attack, but dragon CRs ARE based on the PCs knowing what they're fighting.

I figured the Olidammara followers had asked an oracle for some advice on what haunts their temple. Do you think this includes too many clues? Consider that it is for a novice player and the other players are pretty good at not going beyond what their characters would know.

"The fire of the skies and the fires of hell.
[Dragons were initially ALL creatures of Fire in this world, the other variants being recent inferior mutations, and the PCs know that]
A beast of both worlds, created by a disciple of darkness.
Flame it has not, yet water can burn.
A blast of evil to strike at the souls of the good.
In shadow it waits hidden, but daylight reveals all."

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
I've already chipped in my two cents. I think Half fiend might be over-cooking the PCs but eh, to each his own. That being said, I hope it works out for you. But if it doesn't, hey at least the next generation of PCs are prepared! ;)

Land Outcast

Explorer
Hindrance?
none

Darkness, 3/day, in a closed place... (remember, no AoOs when concealment)
SR 17... + good saves
Move 60...
Spring Attack...
59 hp...
DR 5/magic...

AC 20 is the only "bad" thing I can see...

If you play him smart, ther are dead.

The Barbarian... +12 to hit would still have a fair chance to miss
The Dwarf... +3 Bab +4 Str +1 Mwk +1 WF? still a fair chance to miss
The Ranger...+4 Bab +6 Dex +1 Mwk +1 WF? he won't see the dragon to use the bow
Rogue... no Sneak Attack...
Cleric: [light spell] CL 5 vs CL 7... he could make the day a dragon-slaying day

Remove ads