• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help with a PRC for an Epic Campaign?

Zesty Gordita

First Post
Hello everyone. I have a little bit of a problem. I'm going to be participating in a campaign soon that will be starting out at 20th level and then going up from there to an unknown ending point. This is a time skip of sorts from an earlier campaign I was in (if you remember my old topic, it deals with the same campaign) and as such I already have a character built and ready to go..... mostly.

My character is a Dragon Shaman with the Gold Dragon as his totem. We're using bits and pieces from a Dragon Shaman variant I stumbled upon which can be found... 3.5 Dragon Shaman Fix (PEACH) - Giant in the Playground Forums ... there. And if anyone would like to see the actual character, I have him saved on an online character sheet.

Specifically, we are using the Auras Known progression, the Draconic Aura bonus progression, the Natural Armor, and some of the Draconic Aura variants.

Now since he's got all 20 levels of Dragon Shaman, there's no more progressing through that. So now I either multiclass or go into a PRC (I don't see a point in making an Epic Dragon Shaman progression).

I've looked everywhere and haven't really found a Dragon Shaman PRC... which kind of disappoints me. As such, me and the DM decided do make our own. Unfortunately... we have no idea what to give it. We thought it would be interesting to at some point give it the ability to lose it's dependency on the totem dragon, which would also somewhat make sense based on the 19th level ability gotten in the variant. But other than that, we have no ideas. We played around with the idea of giving it things similar to the Dragonfire Adept, but we're not exactly sure what. We liked the at-will breath weapon and the breath abilities (like metabreath feats but better!) but we're not sure how that would balance or anything.

And so I come to the internet, if anyone has any ideas or suggestions I would very greatly appreciate it! I am very terrible at making/varianting(???) classes and prestige classes. Although if this falls through, I do still have the possibility of progressing into the Hidecarved Dragon PRC located in the Draconomicon.

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
halfway though your post I was thinking of suggesting you try the Dragon specific PrC's from draconomicon, than I saw that you considered it at the end.

How about split the Half Dragon template into a few levels of PrC? Look at the Draconic Racial class in Races of the Dragon, starting page 71. 4 levels of progression into the Half Dragon should keep you occupied a little while.

Belzbet

First Post
Hi I have just been perusing Races of Dragons, Dragon Might, and Draconomicon. The Initiate of the Dragon Mysteries (Races of Dragons) is an alright PrC. However, it is not really Dragon Shamany.

But, the last ability it gets (Dragonshape) may be a good choice for your Dragon Shamam (the ability works like shapechange! but you can only change into Tiny to Huge Dragons, however at Epic levels this ability should be much stronger, ANY size dragon, with the max HD of Dragon=times 2 HD (not CL since a dragon shaman will have no CL; maybe times 3 in higher levels; remember that shapenchange allows a wizard to turn into any size max HD=times 2 wizards CL).

Also a must is the continuation of yoiur breath Damage increase. Continue the NA increase; continue auras; continue touch of healing (maybe)... Much of the class abilites would be a continuation of the Dragon Shaman (since the DS has so many abilites that increase with level in which you wouldnt want to give up; NA increase can be given up though).

Gain blind-sense 30ft maybe 60ft (a rather epic ability that ALL true dragons have)

I think epic metabreath class features are a GREAT IDEA! At will breath is AWESOME (maybe too good).

Give the creature a fly speed (unless it alreadt has one), also give it improved flyby attack for free as a class ability (smae as spring attack but can be used flying AND in conjunction with a BREATH weapon, although these are feats that you may have by this level). If it already has it these features give it the ability to do a full attack (or two standard actions, a move and a standard, etc, even a swift and a full attack, or a swift and two standards, etc) during a flyby attack when it doesnt move more than its speed in the round (EPIC INDEED!).

IN ADDITION to frightful prescence give it the alternate Dragon totems frightful presence ability in Dragon magic pg. 125 (all in 30ft take damage equal to 1/2 your HD; fort. negs. always active can resume or stop as swift action, in addition to frightful presence if you are using that variant)

Zesty Gordita

First Post
To Rumbletiger:
I would totally love and do that idea, but (and I probably should've mentioned this in the original post) my character has the Half-dragon template already. Black Half-dragon to be exact.

To Belzbet:
LOVE the suggestions! Gonna take 'em to the DM right away :D
Oh, and I already have perfect flight through a feat I took, but I only have a 60 ft fly speed, so the speed could possibly increase.

jefgorbach

First Post
hmm perhaps his half-dragon template blossoms into a full blooded Wyrmling upon reaching 20th level with each subsequent level increasing him one effective age bracket; the relevant stats/abilities stacking with his existing abilities. That would provide a game-plan for the next 12 levels, after which he could begin any of the True dragon classes should the campaign continue further.

Remove ads