• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help With a Ranger Concept

Trench

First Post
So I am contemplating creating a 3rd level Human Ranger with the two-weapon combat style who uses a whip and axes, both throwing and hand. He's an older semi-retired adventurer who used this to dismount goblins from their wolves.

My question is this. Which three feats would best make this work? I was considering the Weapon Profiecency in Whip, then Combat Intuition leading to Improved Trip. I was also considering Weapons Focus for both Whip and Axe to help offset the two-handed penalty. Then I was also considering building up to Far Shot to double the range on the throwing axes.

Then again, I'm sure there are other options I'm missing. Thoughts? And Thanks.

smootrk

First Post
Seems like a lot of choices, just to dismount goblins. Sounds a little interesting but what if your DM does not present you with a lot of goblins?

I am not a fan of Spiked Chains (because I find them silly), but it seems it can be used two handed (at least by all the fantasy graphics I have seen), do essentially the same as your whip, and cause a little more damage ta boot. Then you need only focus on the one weapon, by taking Weapon Specialization at your next level (4th), instead of worrying about 2 weapons. Take combat reflexes so that you get lots of AoO's to make those trip attacks with.

Trench

First Post
Heh. Yeah the idea may not be the most practical, but I'm more about character concepts than practicality. (And I'm with you on the spiked chain sillyness). I'm just curious if the concept is worth the effort. I just like the image of a ranger whirling around tripping people with a whip and tossing axes into battle with the other hand. (In fact, the goblins may never show up, as the ranger is a vetran from old border skirmishes and the battles are long done...) As for what the DM provides, it'll be random. But we're a rules-light, story intensive group, with some adventures netting almost no XP and being entirely role playing- so I think there will be plenty of chances to still make it work in other situations (Although I'm well aware that using this tactic on an ogre or other big guy is pretty unfeasable...) Thanks for the Combat Refexes suggestion though... definitely worth considering...

FalcWP

Explorer
Interestingly enough, you may not actually need to take proficiency in the whip. Tripping is a melee touch attack, so you would ignore your opponents armor bonus. Given, proficiency would get rid of that pesky -4 penalty, but...

Improved Trip, obviously, is a good one for that +4 bonus to your opposed strength check. The other benefit (a free attack) isn't as good, since the whip isn't going to do much damage.

Combat Expertise is required for Improved Trip, and requires a 13 Intelligence - shouldn't be too difficult. Being able to use Combat Expertise could be handy, especially since you'll be lightly armored and without a shield.

If you don't take proficiency with the whip (or, if you do, at level six), look at Improved Disarm as well.

Combat Reflexes is a good suggestion, even with the whip (a reach weapon).

Weapon Finesse might be worthwhile as well, if your Dexterity is much above your Strength. The whip and the hand/throwing axes can all benefit from it. Of course, if your strength is much lower than your dexterity, you might not be all that successful at tripping people.

As you mentioned, Far Shot would be handy for the throwing axes, as would its prerequisite, Point Blank Shot. Precise Shot would also be useful, since you would otherwise take penalties if you threw into melee.

Remove ads