• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help with class ability giving Time Stop to Fighters at 1st level

Jeffrie

First Post
I'll be happy to take this to another board if someone wants to point the way. I don't know my way around the boards very well.

What's up is; i was at brilliantgameologist and there was a thread about fixing the fighter (making it tier 3). There seems much confluence of opinions, and some of the things agreed upon include.

Needs interaction besides AC vs DAM *
Needs reach when in melee *
Needs area effect *
Needs Saves and/or methods similar to Evasion/Mettle
Needs 'action economy' *
Needs resistance/recovery from conditions
Needs attack and defense against magic *
Needs all these things to scale *
*these points are addressed by the class feat Stare Down (below).

STARE DOWN (EX?): With his rugged bearing, vigorous physique, and steady advance a fighter is hard to ignore. It's immediately obvious to most folks that if this fellow lays into you there will be serious consequences.
A fighter can add his Con modifier to his Intimidate check as a free action at the end a full attack, or as a full round action of staring at a sentient being that knows he is staring. This does not provoke an AO, but to look away from a staring fighter does. Staring invokes a Concentration check.
If a fighter beats the opposing roll by 10 or more the creature is also Dazed.
This ability can affect one being per class level, in a radius defined by the fighters move speed. Saves are performed against the Stare Down in order of; target first, then by proximity to the fighter until the multiple target limit is reached.
At 4th level a fighter can designate one target for his intimidate check and Stare Down while moving, attacking, or performing any other action, as long as the target knows of his presence.
At
Stare Down is a psychological effect that effects all sentient creatures, and therefore is not affected by magical resistance to magical fear but functions similarly otherwise. Moral bonuses and Wis save bonuses of other kinds are effective against it though.
At 12th level Stare Down becomes a Supernatural Ability.
In addition a fighter can use his Con bonus during any standard Intimidate check.
``````````
Ok, so it's not Time Stop, but it's as close as i could think up while staying very simple, logical, and fightery.

I would appreciate some opinion on if this class feature is overpowered or underpowered and how to fix it. It seems to me to give reach, area effect, scaling power, a bit of fluff, and the ability to sometimes stall a spellcaster of equal level, or even a room full of people.

(1d20 + character level or Hit Dice + target’s Wisdom bonus [if any] + target’s modifiers on saves against fear).

This looks like maxed Intimidate ranks and Con bonus puts fighter 3-7 points ahead of most equal ECL. Also Persuasion and Bluff give +2 each. Could be too much? Fighter walks into room, takes 10, and everybody stares at him. . . .
Or is it so weak that it would only effect chumps?

Well i really hope someone good with the numbers likes this enough to help me edit it. thanks if you read this far. : )

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
What's the benefit of Stare Down becoming a Supernatural Ability at level 12?

Interesting ability, I could see it being played well and making the Fighter slightly more appealing. I like how it only occurs of he's making a Full Attack, or doing nothing but Staring.

I'm not so good with the numbers, hopefully someone else could assist you with those.

SuperJebba

First Post
I would probably add a bonus to the concentration check for foes bigger than the fighter. I just have a hard time buying a dragon being afraid of a human fighter.

I'd also maybe set it up so that increasingly bigger foes count as more people (ie Large 2, Huge 4 etc). I just have a hard time seeing a group of four giants being intimidated by a puny little human.

I like the idea, though. It gives the fighter the ability to tank a bit more.

Dandu

First Post
I would probably add a bonus to the concentration check for foes bigger than the fighter. I just have a hard time buying a dragon being afraid of a human fighter.

I'd also maybe set it up so that increasingly bigger foes count as more people (ie Large 2, Huge 4 etc). I just have a hard time seeing a group of four giants being intimidated by a puny little human.
Maybe the human is just that badass?

Jeffrie

First Post
The only human I know that is that badass is Chuck Norris. It had to be said.
That's really funny.
````````````

(1d20 + character level or Hit Dice + target’s Wisdom bonus [if any] + target’s modifiers on saves against fear).

A dragon has HD, and a wisdom modifier, and so do giants. Here, let's look one up.

Black Dragon:
Huge 22d12+110 (253) with a +2 wisdom bonus
Dragon gets a +24? or do those other hit points somehow change HD?

Fighter 20, max intimidate 22 Con.
Fighter gets a +29? Not bad. A fighter would have to work hard to get a max intimidate.
````````

I like it. Even a dragon should recognize a fighter20 and say 'This fellow can't be ignored'. Remember, Shaken is only -2 attack rolls, saving throws, skill checks, and ability checks for a round. And though Dazed is loss of a full round the target doesn't lose AC. Even if the fighter20 rolls a 20 and the huge dragon rolls a 2, the worst case scenario for the dragon is to face a full attack from the fighter at full AC..
Can a fighter20 do 253 Dam in a full attack? (YES in theory) So the dragon should consider the fighter seriously.

RUMBLETiGER What's the benefit of Stare Down becoming a Supernatural Ability at level 12?
I don't know if 12th is perfect, but i know that somewhere up there are demons and planar beings that aren't affected by normal damage, but on second thought, there might not be any real benefit or need for it.

SuperJebba I'd also maybe set it up so that increasingly bigger foes count as more people (ie Large 2, Huge 4 etc). I just have a hard time seeing a group of four giants being intimidated by a puny little human.

I see what you mean, i think. A few limits. . . Maybe as simple as, , ,,

'If there are multiple targets the first target receives +1 bonus, 2nd target +2, etc'.
(Also perhaps change wording to 'targets per level')

It's late, and i'll try the math some tomorrow maybe. I can't even proof read my own post.

Last edited:

Jeffrie

First Post
Well i made some changes, they are in bold. . .

`````````````````
STARE DOWN (EX?):
With his rugged bearing, vigorous physique, and steady advance a fighter is hard to ignore. It's immediately obvious to most folks that if this fellow lays into you there will be serious consequences.
A fighter can add his Con modifier to his Intimidate check as a free action at the end a full attack, or as a full round action of staring at a sentient being that knows he is staring. This does not provoke an AO, but to look away from a staring fighter does. Staring invokes a Concentration check.
If a fighter beats the opposing roll by 10 or more the creature is also Dazed. The fighter is fully aware of the condition of his primary target.
This ability can affect one target per class level, in a radius defined by the fighters move speed. Saves are resolved against the Stare Down roll with target first, then by proximity to the fighters ending square until the multiple target limit is reached. With multiple targets the first target receives +1 bonus, 2nd target +2, etc.
At 5th level a fighter can designate one, and only one, target for his intimidate check and Stare Down while moving, attacking, or performing any other action, as long as the target knows of his presence.
At 10th level and every five above a fighter can choose to target an additional creature while moving etc, to a max of 5 at 20th..
Stare Down is a psychological effect that effects all sentient creatures, and therefore is not affected by magical resistance to magical fear but functions similarly otherwise. Moral bonuses and Wis save bonuses of other kinds are effective against it though.
At 20th level Stare Down becomes a Supernatural Ability and functions even when the fighter is asleep or unconscious etc though at a -20 to the intimidate roll. For the Stare Down to function the creature must visually notice the asleep fighter and be close enough for normal body language to occur.
In addition a fighter can use his Con bonus during any standard Intimidate check.
``````````````````
I'm still working on this (playing with it). Among the things I like the most about it is it's flavor, and it's simplicity.
But i really want to remember how it scales with other fighter mechanics such as the potential for high Con and the ability to add move speed..

I hope to get some more response and suggestions. thanks.

Last edited:

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
I'd look at the Psion's Brain Lock power, Expanded Psionics Handbook p. 81 for something similar to compare to.

-Level 2 power (accessible at class level 3).
-Standard action.
-Medium Range (100'+10'/level).
-Duration of Concentration+ 1 round.
-Will Negates.
Text reads:
"The subject's higher mind is locked away. He stands Dazed, unable to take any psionic actions... nor any mental actions at all. A brain locked subject is not stunned, so attackers get no special advantage against him."

Stare Down sounds like it'll accomplish a multiple target version of this, via intimidate check vs. Will save. Since a Psion has a bazillion things it can do in addition to this power, I see no balance issues with the Fighter doing something similar.

Questions:
1. I'm having trouble tracking the duration of the dazed effect of Stare Down. Once a target or targets are dazed, is it for that 1 round? Or for as long as you stare at them?

2. If you are Staring Down one group of opponents, can you still attack another one not within your Stare Down group?

3. Do you provoke A.o_O.'s from opponents not being Stared Down that attack you?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads