Help with Cleric Build, share expertise please!

Actually, they just treat them as Martial weapons (as a cleric, you don't get access to those, by default). What they DO get is prof. with the battleaxe, heavy pick, and warhammer, which are ok weapons.

Dwarves are pretty cool, indeed. Slow and Steady means that your speed will be the same as anyone with 30' as a base and medium+ armor. The +2 Wisdom is wicked good, so is the +2 Constitution, for obvious reasons. The thing is that the -2 CHA hurts your channeling and you can't get a +2 STR that human-born characters get (Bloody muggles!).

I must say that, yes, Hardy is probably the most powerful racial feature on the game (the second being, probably, the extra feat humans get).
That's what I meant with the Dwarven weapons, he wouldn't have to take the exotic weapon proficiency. The main reason I brought it up was because of the Dwarven Dorn Dergar (which would give the OP the flavor he wanted).

I agree, the channeling thing isn't the greatest if he's a dwarf, but he can fix that a bit with the extra channeling feat, which gives 2 additional channels. Lets not forget that Dwarves also get to (as a favored class alternative) select one domain power granted at 1st level that is normally usable for a number of times per day equal to 3 + the cleric’s Wisdom modifier. The cleric adds 1/2 to the number of uses per day of that domain power, which is also pretty nice.

Vicon

First Post
You guys are awesome. This is really great help, and my character has done a lot to take shape as a result of this thread. (When I started the task seemed insurmountable!)

The reasons for dwarf are very compelling, even without the martial weapons, though my personality and characterization-range makes RPing a dwarf kind of a stretch for me.

I especially like hearing the ideas for feats, and the implication that you can still have fun hanging back buffing and doing support. Medic was my Favorite Class in TF2, so that speaks to me. That idea alone pushes me more in the direction of full caster -- which was a concern of mine.

I think I'll still go with heavy armor, but do you think it would be a better idea to have a Longspear or a Morningstar and shield as my simple weapon setup?

I like the idea of being shielded right behind the front line making reach attacks, but the hit to AC w/o a shield makes me wonder.

The idea of taking reactionary trait and improved initiative +6 init is very appealing also. I'm presently AGONIZING over the other trait I need to take -- I was thinking Deft Dodger (for +1 reflex that I know I'll be lacking) or Missionary, (which I am leery to take because since I haven't tried all the spells I'm not sure which three would be the best to improve -- also, I am not sure if I should pick 3 spells I have or will soon have, or if there are spells way up my progress tree that would benefit the best from the improvements missionary provides... any thoughts on this? (pick three spells that function at +1 caster level, and they have +1 DC -- which I interpret to mean they are one level more effective, and easier to land than they would otherwise be.)

Thanks again!

I've always loved the flavor of dwarves personally, but they aren't for everyone. I'm usually the stereotypical binge-drinking guy who likes to crack jokes at the other PC's expenses, then get down and dirty with a good fight against evil doers, I always have my friends' backs and am very loyal.

Well if you want reach, I'd go with the Spear and poke at the beasties from afar instead of getting up in their grills. This gives you a bit of an added buffer (distance 10 ft) as you would be able to get an AoO off on them if you are using a reach weapon (more AoOs if you took Combat Reflexes, but that's more for a melee-based character).

Reactionary is a great trait and I'd highly recommend it. Basically the way you want to look at combat is that the casters should be trying to go first to get the buffs/debuffs off and healing topped off at the beginning of the later rounds.

A couple other good traits to consider:
Exalted of the Society, Cleric - Have to be a member of the Pathfinder Society to get this though so check with your GM.
Birthmark - Can have a tattoo as your holy symbol so you can wield your 2h weapon (spear) and you get added bonus of +2 to some saves.
Glory of Old - If you decide to go dwarf (I LOVE THIS TRAIT = total of +3's on some resistances).

Take a look at some more of the religious traits, they are pretty powerful. Missionary sounds pretty decent, I haven't done that one before though.

Spells: you want to take things like bless, protection from evil, and things that buff or debuff well. Don't grab any healing spells as you can spontaneously cast a spell you have on hand to cast the healing spells, grab a wand of cure light wounds as soon as you can so that you can save your spells out of combat.

If you need some more advice, I'd look to some of the guides on the Paizo forum site. The forums over there are very active as well.

Remove ads