• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help with D20 Modern Character

parinho7

First Post
We are about to begin a Modern campaign and it's the first time I play modern so I seek the wisdom of more experienced players to help me with my character build.

We start at level 3 using only the Core book.

I want a ranged character expert if somehow dealing area damage with a rocket launcher or something like that if it's possible. And when he uses the launcher (or before he find a good opportunity to use it) he is moving to seek for cover and attack with pistols or something (I don't know what weapons are best to use).
I want to have a motorbike and be able to use the heavy weapon riding it if that's possible.
And as for skills, I want to be able to fix machines and hack computers.

Are all this possible to combine in one character build?

I was thinking to begin as Fast(1)/Tough(2). Is this a good option? How about advanced classes? Which one should I chose? (if any).
Feats? And finally I see that Computer Use is only for Smart hero, can any other class get it with some other way? (and put all ranks not half)

Herobizkit

Adventurer
Ranged characters are generally covered under Fast Hero. They are your D&D Rogue equivalent. They'll have most if not all of your Dex-based skills - Stealth, Driving.

You must first take the Personal Firearms Proficiency and Advanced Firearms Proficiency feats before you can advance to Exotic Firearms Proficiency (Rocket Launcher). The Investigative Occupation can get you Computer Use and a free PFP, so that's probably the best start if you don't want a level in Smart.

For Advanced classes, Gunslinger is pretty awesome for gun play and the quickest route into it is all Fast Hero 3; you could take Gunslinger as your 4th level if you max Sleight of Hand and Tumble every level.

parinho7

First Post
Ranged characters are generally covered under Fast Hero. They are your D&D Rogue equivalent. They'll have most if not all of your Dex-based skills - Stealth, Driving.

You must first take the Personal Firearms Proficiency and Advanced Firearms Proficiency feats before you can advance to Exotic Firearms Proficiency (Rocket Launcher). The Investigative Occupation can get you Computer Use and a free PFP, so that's probably the best start if you don't want a level in Smart.

For Advanced classes, Gunslinger is pretty awesome for gun play and the quickest route into it is all Fast Hero 3; you could take Gunslinger as your 4th level if you max Sleight of Hand and Tumble every level.

Thanks for the reply, Investigative Occupation was a great suggestion.

I have a few more questions. Witch is the best firearms? and...

Autofire: If a ranged weapon has an automatic rate of fire, a character may set it on autofire. Autofire affects an area and everyone in it, not a specific creature. The character targets a 10-foot-by-10-foot area and makes an attack roll; the targeted area has an effective Defense of 10. (If the character does not have the Advanced Firearms Proficiency feat, he or she takes a –4 penalty on the attack roll.) If the attack succeeds, every creature within the affected area must make a Reflex save (DC 15) or take the weapon’s damage. Autofire shoots 10 bullets, and can only be used if the weapon has 10 bullets in it.

Does this mean it needs to have exactly 10 bullet, or at least 10? Same question when using the double tap feat ("Using this feat fires two bullets and can only be done if the weapon has two bullets in it").

Herobizkit

Adventurer
Which is the best firearms?
I'm afraid that's pretty subjective and depends a lot on what kind of game your DM is running. Remember, you're running a Modern game so people walking around on the street with swords on their back and brandishing assault rifles doesn't work the same as it does in fantasy.

Generally speaking, a 2d6 Pistol is pretty solid for personal protection. Getting access to heavier weapons than a Rifle or Shotgun will need to be discussed with your DM. Most pistols do 2d4-2d6 range, while rifles and shotguns do 2d8-2d10. Heck, a modern Crossbow does 1d10. But if you're running around the street fully armed, you might get yourself arrested unless you're also a cop or P.I. or at least have the licenses to carry them.

Check with your DM and see if Urban Arcana weapons and equipment will be allowed as well.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Weapon choice in RPGs- of any genre- is all about the context of the character using them. Is the PC a weapon nut? Does he want something showy? Or is something easily concealed & well made more important?

Herobizkit

Adventurer
I wish my current players thought like you and I. In the current Pathfinder game I'm playing in, four of us have longsword as our go to weapon - my half-orc took a feat to let him use longsword and whip because I figured "the two fighters and the paladin will surely have more interesting weapons."

Nope.

All long sword.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Double-tap is at least 2, not exactly 2. You can double-tap with an automatic pistol with 15 rounds in it, you can't only double-top with a double barrel shotgun and little else.

I was thinking in terms of rounds fired, not magazine capacity.

Remove ads